The Desert Ditch 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here i am again,

I'll get right to it. Previous owner of an '86 FJ60, i was cruising through an industrial area in the Northern Emirates when i saw a very distinct roofline out the corner of my eye. Needless to say i stopped to take a look. It was parked in a ditch outside some sort of workshop that wasn't marked with a pad-locked gate, the closer i got to the shop doors the more i found. This guy had three U.S. spec 60's that he was cannibalising for parts. The one i was looking at is a Gulf Spec G.C.C. market 62 which as a bunch more options. So i find a Bengali shop worker there and use all of my language skills to speak to him in his language and ask for his boss, he draws me a map to what looked like a dealer lot just a couple streets away. I meet the boss and get the deal done a couple days later....

Now the fun starts,

I get a few things out of the deal like a spare hood and windshield. On paper, It's a barn door 62 with a 3F, H55 (factory) and other things like a factory cool box as well as front and rear A/c as well as rear jump seats and a jerry can mount.

So i thought things were going well, lets see:

Day 1: Picking it up, looks pretty clean

Looking closer, those roof channels don't look too happy

interior looks great for its age, look at all the options

The center cool-box reads "Keep only canned food or beverage to avoid smell. Alway use only fresh water to make ice."

The rear A/c unit (controlled from a switch on the dash)

The Rear jump seats:

The plan is to restore it with a bit of desert proofing it to make it last longer and drive better. I've already sourced all new chassis rubbers and body mounts as well as some holy grail parts i'll reveal later. More to come soon with ugly surprises along the way.

Now for the tear down, i wanted to see what i have to work with. So i ripped out the god-awful carpets and some exterior fittings to see what its hiding. I managed to source all the paperwork i needed to make it legal, but in this country all cars need to be mint or near mint to get tags, so lets see how much work i have to do:

hmm, this doesn't look too good....

With that being said, i borrowed a paint thickness gauge to see how bad the bondo is on this rig, so i decided to pull the body off the frame and do it right.

Went ahead and had the chassis sand blasted

Now i can REALLY get a good look at what i got to work with...

In 12 pictures to body off :clap:
Looks nice and repairable, chassis seems very clean.
Do you have a picture of the inside wheel arches, body rust seems typical but it was hit hard as it seems to be hidden in all places.

What is that strap (that needs a blow it seems) in the rear channel?

what.JPG

In 12 pictures to body off :clap:
Looks nice and repairable, chassis seems very clean.
Do you have a picture of the inside wheel arches, body rust seems typical but it was hit hard as it seems to be hidden in all places.

What is that strap (that needs a blow it seems) in the rear channel?

View attachment 1265911

That is a mounting bracket for the rare factory rear A/c hardline, it doesn't show very well but the C-channels needed repair as they were slightly bowed out. More pics in a few minutes. :D

:popcorn:

Never mind the surface rust from the light rain, do you see something horribly wrong with the above photos, frame damage and a BRAKE PAD holding my frame together......BUT WAIT.....Theres more.......

The front end is worse than i thought...

So naturally, i didn't want to screw around. That front end had to go>

Enter the local cruiser junk yard.....

and say hello to the donor front end, from the paperwork, this was a fire truck that apparently came from japan..i canaballized this one for its front K-member and radiator components. Its hot as hell out here so no harm in keeping a spare rad. They kept the motor and trans as well as some minor bits i didn't need.

All that work to get this piece

Once welded on the frame, a new coat of "chassis black" paint was applied for some resto goodness, you can see the cancer cutaway in the junk pile while i was baking the new coat on under the middle eastern sun.

The body shell placed aside while i tackle the frame

Now was also a perfect time to throw on the new chassis rubbers all around. No expense spared, leaf bushings, motor mounts, transmission mounts, steering bushings. Anything i could get my hands on.

Cleaned up and painted up the axles as well as cross members while i was in there too, no time to touch the motor and transmission just yet as i have separate plans for those. Here's some eye candy:

"The local cruiser junk yard"......damn you! :D
Great work so far!!

:popcorn:

I spy with my little eye, in the 'junk' yard a 12H-T. Is that part of your plan?? I really love those rear doors.
That rear AC is pretty cool too.

@Thebedouin60 Finally a cruiser that befits your name is added to the list!

Subscribed.

Hahahaha Now its a matter of making it whole again...

I spy with my little eye, in the 'junk' yard a 12H-T. Is that part of your plan?? I really love those rear doors.
That rear AC is pretty cool too.

Already got a spare transmission & motor, so all set for now.

Moving on to the next phase of the project, the body....

I got word that there was a new soda blaster in town, which would have provided for a much much better finish on the metal as well as prove to be much more thorough when preparing the insides of the doors and undersides. So a couple phone calls and agreement later, they came to collect:

A couple days later, i get a whatsapp message on the progress with the body......needless to say i was a little disheartened

Just needs a little T-cut and i'll be good......who am i kidding i'm in deep sh....

So im pretty sure this body shell is too far gone to save, especially since the metal work out here isn't that good to begin with. Polish a turd as they say? Wonder what's next?

That sucks, don't know what to say now. I've had the same happen to me with an old Mustang.
Keep us posted, hope you can find another

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom