The Death Star (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have opened the Death Star. I had thought the Death Star would be filled with lake water as I often use my cruiser as a fishing platform in rivers and lakes> (I know...cringe my brethren)..Obviously, something s*** the bed in my rear differential. Enjoy these pictures my brothers.
photo.jpg

I am trying to post the picture of my diff....but i will tell you...besides the broken pieces you have seen....it looks highly lubricated like it has never seen the water from my fishing trips....although the fluid was caramel...How bad is it guys? Real bad? Think I can sort this madness out before the world ends in 2012?

Hi All:

You might be able to salvage that ring and pinion, but chances are just slipping-in a replacement third member would be better (and easier.)

Good luck!

Alan

Ferric Granola Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
:frown:Sorry for your loss.

Oh dude...those are just extra parts......I end up with those everytime I work on something ......LOL

Must have been making a terrible racket

Some things loose............. :doh:

pull the rear shaft, drive it in 4wd high, when the brakes go bad, use the ebrake......

worked for me in high school with my 40. :)

Noah

You too!? And I thought I was the only one... :rolleyes:

I agree with Alan, find another 3rd member-easy to swap

You know, this problem might be solved with an Aussie locker.

even with an aussie you would need the broken shaft. I have some diff guts laying around. if you need some bits, let me know. -Matt

A suggestion, a small inflatable pontoon boat is only a few hundred dollars, will tie on top your rig ready to go, inflated. They draw only a few inches of water, you could float around those kinds of areas all day.

Something like this: Cabela's: Fish Cat 4 Float Tube or Cabela's: Classic Accessories™ Cimarron Pontoon Boat

In the long run, it will save you hundreds on new wheel bearings, differentials and gallons of gear oil as what you have shown looks to be trashed. It is a good idea to change the gear oil frequently if you are in that kind of water, especially if you let it sit. The axles make heat, as they get cooled in water the air inside contracts, it produces a vacum, it will suck water past the seals and the breather.

Just a suggestion.

You're failure was the cross shaft that holds the side gears in the diff I presume. Did the axle shafts walk out on you? Perhaps the lack of proper lube sized something, or where you rocking pretty hard to get out of a hole or something?

get some cheap tubing, pull off the stock breather cap with pliers and route the tube up into the cab so the axles can breath. Also make sure all your seals are good. Then make sure you change the fluid every so often. Good luck.

Noah

get some cheap tubing, pull off the stock breather cap with pliers and route the tube up into the cab so the axles can breath. Also make sure all your seals are good. Then make sure you change the fluid every so often. Good luck.

Noah

That is an awesome idea. Obviously I should stop parking underwater as well. I need to open up the front differential as well. Is there anything I should do to clean it (if it looks like it needs it)? Or just put new oil in?

It sounds like I should go ahead and look around for a Third Member.

Thanks again for all the responses

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom