Testing the use of a boat anchor for a winching point in sand (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My son ( @CarterB341 ) often wheels on Sardis Lake in the winter when the Corps drops the lake level. Out on the flats, there is nothing to winch to. He wanted to see if a boat anchor would work. We are scuba divers, and once found a 14 pound Danforth-style anchor on a wreck. To put it in perspective, this is the same size anchor on my 27 foot, 8000 pound offshore fishing boat. So this is a big anchor, mostly stored and deployed from a pulpit and a windlass (boat word for winch). The flukes (fin parts that bury in the sand) are 12 inches across and the the width at the stock is 19 inches. This is really larger than anyone would want to carry as recovery gear.

We live in coastal Mississippi and there is a sandy area when went to test. I chose sand because the Danforth style anchor develops its highest holding power in sand.

Test 1:

Anchor just poked in the sand like it would if it were thrown from the boat. The flukes were dug in a bit to get it started. When we were just taking tension up on the winch, with the truck not stuck and in neutral with the parking brake on, the anchor was already dragging. So test 1 was a fail.

Test 2:

We buried the anchor about a foot in the sand, and even buried the shank (long part along the pulling axis of the anchor) of the anchor so that the line would not pull up. The goal was to get the anchor to self bury in the sand as this is how it develops its full holding power. While this was able to get the winch tensioned, it did not move the truck before it was dragging too. So test 2 was a fail.

I have seen a few anchor holding tests as part of my day job. Most anchors in this size range develop between 4000-6000 pounds of holding power in ideal conditions (sand bottom). Considering the winches we use, this isn’t much. Perhaps if you really buried the anchor deep you could get it to hold, but at that point, I think I would just bury my spare tire.

Here are pictures we took of test 2. I realize that we don't have any pictures of the anchor, but google "14 pound danforth anchor" and you will see one.

The set up. You can see the truck is a good distance away so that we didn’t pull up on the line. The sand is soft, but not the softest I’ve seen. We both went in there without airing down and didn’t have a problem.
IMG_7344.jpg

The bury. The anchor is down there. The red line is to pull it backwards to retrieve it in case it got buried deep.
IMG_7343.jpg

The pull out. You can see the trough it made.
IMG_7345.jpg

Since this is Mud, for the folks who are interested in the truck, it is a 2007 Sequoia with a 2 inch lift and 32 inch KO2s, a Bruteforce bumper and a Warn VR 12000 pound winch. That truck impresses me everytime I wheel with it, and the seats are soooo much better than my 60's seats. Its like wheeling driving a lazy boy.

Interesting test and about what I expected. I would imagine for your scenario in the sand, recovery boards like Maxtrax and a shovel would be wise investments.

Interesting test and about what I expected. I would imagine for your scenario in the sand, recovery boards like Maxtrax and a shovel would be wise investments.

Agree. We have those, but wanted to see if this was another option.

A ground anchor has a different angle, more adjusted to a straight line I think?
A boat anchor needs a line 3 x longer than depth to get a working angle? So for 10 meter water depth I use 30 meter line.
When in Croatia I never ever trust one anchor so I use three, just an idiot but the idea of the boat leaving without us is a nightmare, I have spend so much time under water watching the anchor move, tide and flow changes o_O

Ground anchor instructions that came with mine:

nice, always good to do tests but not exactly very surprising results

Thanks for the interesting test. Looking at images of a danforth anchor the results aren’t surprising. There’s not enough surface area and the angle does not encourage the anchor to dig deeper when pulled at a shallow angle. An internet search of “off road sand anchor” returns several options better designed for the task.

Although I’ve never witnessed it attempted, it’s rumored that a spare tire can be buried to create an anchor.

A ground anchor has a different angle, more adjusted to a straight line I think?
A boat anchor needs a line 3 x longer than depth to get a working angle? So for 10 meter water depth I use 30 meter line.
When in Croatia I never ever trust one anchor so I use three, just an idiot but the idea of the boat leaving without us is a nightmare, I have spend so much time under water watching the anchor move, tide and flow changes o_O

Ground anchor instructions that came with mine:

What brand land anchor do you have? Are you happy with how it performs? I am still looking for a way to avoid another 340ft winch to the nearest tree.

IMG_4429.jpg

I don't use it because it is really the last thing to spend time on, mostly I call a friend with a tractor :rofl:
No, I have to much crap but the order is a bit like this: front and rear aussie lockers, air down, tractor, sandladder, hilift/jack, tractor, airbag, snowchains 4x, tractor, and if you are with other cars that is far better so it is the only last thing when alone and when I was in the Sahara I did not get stuck enough to use it, also on a beach used sand ladder to get out.
To lazy to dig that thing in properly, also winch needs setup and to lazy for that.

And the weight is terrible, I recommend using the spare tire but then damage might create more problems (pop off wheel or damage rim)
Anyway I got the ground anchor pretty cheap from a guy that quit selling 4x4 stuff, I must say peace of mind is also something worth, I was pretty stupid to go into the Sahara without other cars so just convoy with others, especially near Algeria where we went.

Some pictures where I did not get out: Places were the HJ did not get us :? - https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hj60/places-were-the-hj-did-not-get-us-t48.html

This is all walking distange from home, I feel invincible then :steer: :slap:

2_f450b69554170acb9b75b537bf1d3fe7.jpg

2_0b7ac71cc6eaceb6d0c9f37fbd46ca1d.jpg

2_da5aa0263040fdaf70d974028087507b.jpg

Why waste time, ask the neighbor:

2_6186d690f1f5824ad0a4d4c9592c9ff9.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom