Tesla style 16" Android Radio install/information (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It came with a harness that includes RCA connectors, but I believe those are for the 08-12(?) that had the climate controls not integrated into the display unit. There's not an RCA connector anywhere on the radio/cd/nav display. I've researched the service manual and the camera circuit pinouts don't match what is claimed for a truck with a manufacture date of 11/13. Those locations on the connectors are empty so I'm pretty much wedged as far as tshooting this myself.

The call from phoenix is now 3 days overdue...This thing may be going back.

Hmmmmm, yeah, that is a tough one. So you're trying to integrate your factory bird's eye cameras into the new head unit? I see the dilemma, even if you found the wires for those cameras in the FSM (which it sounds like isn't working) you'd still need to know where/how to wire them into the head unit.

Are you sure you're looking at the US Version of FSM? Maybe try a slightly later model date and see if that matches up. But yeah, you're still left with the problem of where the wires go.

I was actually going to pay a little premium to buy my Tesla head unit through Phoenix because I had heard their customer service and support is excellent. If it's really this bad, I might as well save some $ and go direct through Alibaba.

Well good luck. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I could live with just the rear camera but those are the pins that aren't "there" on the factory harness.
Having a backup camera for hooking up a trailer can save your marriage.

I could live with just the rear camera but those are the pins that aren't "there" on the factory harness.
Having a backup camera for hooking up a trailer can save your marriage.

No reason you shouldnt be able to get the whole thing going with bird's eye cams. I know Jaffe (sp?) Adventures has a couple very detailed videos on YouTube as pertains to installing a newer (6 months-ish old?) 16" HU in a 200 TLC (not sure if it's post or pre face lift). I'd check those out. There is one other extremely detailed video that IIRC is also for a TLC 200, but I'm forgetting who did it.

I'd also make sure you're looking at the correct version of the FSM. There are many different varieties for different countries, engine types, etc. Cross reference with your VIN.

The service manual I have only has one section for the US version, VX grade. That's the section I'm referring too. I suspect there is some online revisions available as the manual states that it could be the case and to refer to any updates. Electrical is one of the things I believe manufacturers change more often than other systems.

Do any of these Tesla style HU's for the LC200 have optical output? I understand their D/A conversion and analog output quality isn't amazing, so I'm hoping to connect them directly to a Helix DSP via optical, or even Helix's HEC USB option. Any uber-nerds out there know if this will work? @grinchy, I'm looking in your direction ;)

Do any of these Tesla style HU's for the LC200 have optical output? I understand their D/A conversion and analog output quality isn't amazing, so I'm hoping to connect them directly to a Helix DSP via optical, or even Helix's HEC USB option. Any uber-nerds out there know if this will work? @grinchy, I'm looking in your direction ;)
This LX570 option caught my eye as it comes with a replacement amplifier. Most of them assume your amplifier is still good. This is relevant to me because my amplifier died . . . this would have been way cheaper and easier than what I ended up doing, but the product wasn't on the market. Anyhow, there is an optical port on the replacement amp.

The LX570 and TLC don't share common cabling, or even audio solutions (the JBL and ML are very different architectures), but maybe this manufacturer makes a similar TLC part?

This LX570 option caught my eye as it comes with a replacement amplifier. Most of them assume your amplifier is still good. This is relevant to me because my amplifier died . . . this would have been way cheaper and easier than what I ended up doing, but the product wasn't on the market. Anyhow, there is an optical port on the replacement amp.

The LX570 and TLC don't share common cabling, or even audio solutions (the JBL and ML are very different architectures), but maybe this manufacturer makes a similar TLC part?

I'll be going to HELIX DSP then Mosconi amps and mostly Morel and Focal speakers. Nothing will be stock.

The Helix DSP wants digital input via toslink optical cable. I believe it uses spdif. Might be able to use a coax digital option too, not sure.

I'll be going to HELIX DSP then Mosconi amps and mostly Morel and Focal speakers. Nothing will be stock.

The Helix DSP wants digital input via toslink optical cable. I believe it uses spdif. Might be able to use a coax digital option too, not sure.
You can always convert coax to optical or optical to coax. The Lx570 has a coax that carries the raw digital signal. It speaks the protocols listed on the head unit. My dsp doesn’t decrypt any of them sadly, so it will only play the audio off cds using the coax. Any dsp with licenses would have no problem with it and would do 5.1 or 7.1.
I don’t think the jbl system works like this, but you can always check the pin outs for a digital / shielded connector.

back to the aftermarket, I bet you could contact any of these Ali express vendors and they’ll make you one with coax output. Probably cost $50

You can always convert coax to optical or optical to coax. The Lx570 has a coax that carries the raw digital signal. It speaks the protocols listed on the head unit. My dsp doesn’t decrypt any of them sadly, so it will only play the audio off cds using the coax. Any dsp with licenses would have no problem with it and would do 5.1 or 7.1.
I don’t think the jbl system works like this, but you can always check the pin outs for a digital / shielded connector.

back to the aftermarket, I bet you could contact any of these Ali express vendors and they’ll make you one with coax output. Probably cost $50

Ha, that might be worth a shot. I have a feeling they have a digital out option anyway. They should....it's pretty standard on HU's like this loaded with features. Just wanna make sure before I order since I get the feeling that returning things in Ali Express isn't exactly a smooth process 😂

I think I may have found a "best of all worlds" option (other than $150 price tag). This HEC USB option card for the Helix DSP.3 supposedly allows super hi-res (32-bit/192k) lossless audio directly via USB out of any modern device with USB and a media player (including Androids).

So even if the Android HU supports toslink optical (which I believe tops out at 24-bit/48k or something) I'll probably go with the HEC option as long as it's stable/reliable.

Having a little discussion about this in an audio forum, but I think this is the way to go. I'll report back here with what the pros are telling me.

Ha, that might be worth a shot. I have a feeling they have a digital out option anyway. They should....it's pretty standard on HU's like this loaded with features. Just wanna make sure before I order since I get the feeling that returning things in Ali Express isn't exactly a smooth process 😂

Turns out these PX6 units DO NOT have digital optical spdif or coax options....despite claims from Phoenix CS and sellers on Ali. The newer chip (UIS7862) units should have digital optical outs (such as the Joying unit) but don't currently offer as many other cool features (birds eye cam, giant screens). For this reason, I'm going to hold off on these units. The main reason I wanted one of these things is for the giant screen and 360 birds eye cam.....but I can't accept compromised sound quality from crappy D/A conversion and low quality pre outs or cheapo amplifiers.

Hi I have a 2013 Sahara Landcruiser and I can not get the 360 cameras to work after purchasing the additional module to get them to work? Anyone had an issue? I also purchased the wireless tyre pressure monitor option and can’t get them to sync either.

Any help would be much appreciated as the cameras are a must in these vehicles
I have the same model Sahara and just wondering if you did managed to get yours to work with the 360 cameras and how did you resolve it? I just purchased a 16" unit and will be ariving in 3 weeks from AliExpress. Thanks heaps

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom