Terrain Tamer brake upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

orangefj45

Supporting Vendor
Threads
IMG_1867.JPG
IMG_1867.JPG
IMG_1866.JPG
IMG_1865.JPG
I've owned my 100 for a few years now and it's pretty much set up the way I want it. The cruiser is my DD as well as camping and mild wheeling rig so I take it to places like Pismo Beach and the mild/medium trails in the Sierras.
Since it was time to do the brakes I opted for something better than stock. The cruiser weighs more than it did from the factory since I have aftermarket bumpers, a winch, sliders and belly pan as well as a roof rack.
Terrain Tamer released their line of upgraded rotors and matching brake pads early this year and I had installed a number of sets on customers' and friends' cruisers so putting them on my 100 was the logical choice.
The rotors are direct replacement units so there are no modifications required. They also allow you to run the stock wheels. Same holds true for the brake pads. So the install is super easy, it's just like doing a regular brake job. Just make sure you set up the ebrake properly and it's adjusted correctly. My ebrake definitely works better now!
When I saw the first set of these Terrain Tamer rotors ten months ago I was impressed with the quality and finish. They are cross drilled and slotted for better heat dissipation and shorter stopping distance. Unlike other similar products I've seen, the surface is ground and the holes & slots are chamfered to prevent premature brake pad wear. Parts fit is excellent as well.
I've had the brakes on there for a month now and they're working perfect. Since it always takes a little while for new pads and rotors to "seat" together, I wanted to wait before I posted anything about them.
I'm very happy with the performance and would definitely recommend them.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Last edited:
in the past cross drilled rotors crack when they change temp quick i stayed away from them since. are they better now?

I've only had the Terrain Tamer rotors on my cruiser for a month so it's too early to tell but so far they've worked great.
I did install 3 sets of them early this year on DD & built 80-series cruisers, which are very similar in setup and weight as our 100s. All 3 of them run 35-37" tires and have the appropriate mods as well as add-one making them heavier than stock. The owners are all very happy with the brakes and have had zero issues. We have installed and sold numerous sets since.
I've been using g the Terrain Tamer products at the shop for a couple of years now. We use their kits exclusively on all our knuckle, transmission and transfer case rebuilds. I also sell them to customers so we've literally sold 100s of their kits as well as quite a few sets of the brakes. The quality of the kits and components have been top notch. Every bearing in their kits, unlike other kit brands, are OEM Koyo. And it goes to show that Terrain Tamer prides themselves in the quality of their kits and components. They've built up theirs reputation and product line for well over 40 years so you can bet that if they are willing to put the Terrain Tamer name on a set of brake rotors, the quality will be excellent.
we don't just sell these items, we run them on our vehicles and install them at our shop every day.

Last edited:
IMG_2007.JPG
IMG_1966.JPG
Here are a couple of "before and after" pics of a customers FJ60 we're working on right now. Part of the work is a complete knuckle rebuild with the Terrain Tamer kit and brake package.

in the past cross drilled rotors crack when they change temp quick i stayed away from them since. are they better now?
What brand were the rotors you purchased?
There are lots of cheap rotors on Amazon and EBay.
Classic example of "you get what you pay for".

For what application?!

Georg, sorry to do a 60 hijack here, but is the TT brake kit a direct replacement for 60 series wagons as well? Work OK with the stock MC?

Georg, sorry to do a 60 hijack here, but is the TT brake kit a direct replacement for 60 series wagons as well? Work OK with the stock MC?
Yes, absolutely!
For the 60s, just like the 80s & 100s, the rotors are a direct replacement item so there are no modifications necessary.
If you want even better braking, then you can also upgrade to the V6 calipers and 80 master cylinder.
We keep all of these items in stock as well.

Interesting/Funny about the cross drilled rotors with cracks. Porsche states this is expected acceptable as long as the cracks aren't longer than XXmm.

Sorry if I’m digging up an older thread as it’s a year since the last reply😂. I installed terrain tamer hp slotted and drilled rotors front and back of my fzj80 and installed the hp pads as well they are now about 3000kms old. They are a massive improvement from what was on there before! But recently I’ve noticed marks or lines on the front rotors. And I’m not sure if they are supposed to be there. I’ve attached pictures of them. The back are fine though. Just looking for advice. Thanks in advance. Note I did not rebuild the callipers at this time as they seemed ok and it would have been inconvenient at the time.

Looks like the machining of the rotor.

Look at the first pictures in this thread

Last edited:
Normal pad wear. The buildup is material lining transfer, a normal and critical process enabling proper pad grip. The lines are just rotational representations of this phenomenon. Hope Georg approves of my description. Heh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom