Terra-Flex shackles w/Dakkar suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A friend of mine with a 1978 CJ5 has had them on his truck now for atleast 7 years and he loves them, we've gone wheeling together and they seemed to work fine..

I think that the main gripe I've seen about those sorts of shackle is that they have a tendency to open up under downhill braking making for a very odd and possibly dangerous situation.

I know that I've seen several people post about trying them and going back to what they had previously.

But if you have a friend with a CJ5 and he loves them then why ask us? There's nothing unusual about Dakkar springs other than their good quality and design:)

I don't have a friend with a CJ-5, that was Relix. I called Terra-Flex to inquire about there scissor/revolving shackle. They advertise they make one for the FJ40 series, yet it has a 1/2" shackles bolt. I told them that the Fj40 uses a 5/8" bolt up to 1979 then went to a 18mm through 1984. They provide bushings and bolt for the lighter jeep. Don't think they realize the LC's are much heavier. So he said i would have to get my own bolts and come up with my own bushings. Never mind i replied, not interested in there product if there engineers don't know the differences between Jeeps and Landcruisers. I was surpised at my converstaion with them.

I had a friend on a light sideway incline and it dumped his truck on its side because the revolver / scissor shackles unloaded. I wouldn't touch them with a two foot stick, if you asked me..

I have Revolvers on my SOA 40 and am thinking about taking them off and trying a set of homeade shackles in order to see if they are all they are cracked up to be. For serious wheeling and gnarly terrain they might be a liability, for deep rutted roads or stream crossings they were a plus when I still ran SUA w/32" tires. I also reversed the front shackles and that added a little more stability, I don't know if I would run them with a front shackle in stock position.

If you encounter a sharp, sudden change of vehicle inertia front to back or vice versa there is a lot of unloading and weird behavior and although there is articulation, there doesn't seem to be much weight on the drooping tire.

I would say the benefits are much less and maybe more likely to be detriments if you are SOA and over 35" tires, until that there is noticeable benefit IMO

I've thought about running something similar on my SUA 40, however, if I did, I think I would incorporate winches or some system to compress the rear on downhills and the front on uphills.

Haystax-that's the info i was looking for and that i suspected. Appreciate all the responses. BTW- so much for going w/ the Dakkar springs as i was informed today that they apparently don't have a 4" lift spring. So i'll be gettin the HFS 4" system w,1-1/2" barbell shackles.

I have a home made terra flex type shackle that the PO put on my 40. I have no complaints and I have done some off camber stuff that made my but pucker. I drive it on the street also it has never given me any problems aloth I make sure to not take any corners to fast.

BTW I am SOA with stock springs.
ROTW 40 series 105.jpg
ROTW 40 series 106.jpg

peebles24 said:
I have a home made terra flex type shackle that the PO put on my 40. I have no complaints and I have done some off camber stuff that made my but pucker. I drive it on the street also it has never given me any problems aloth I make sure to not take any corners to fast.

BTW I am SOA with stock springs.
those appear to be different than TF shackles. Those will flex into the frame faster than away from what i see..TF shackles referred to in this post will just straight unload their weight to another area of the suspention :eek: and that isn't good when you're shifting a part of your vehicle around on pavement (sharp curve at medium/high speed, sudden braking, etc). I won't go near em. Yours look like a slightly safer design but I still will stick to regular shackles!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom