1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terra-Flex shackles w/Dakkar suspension

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Diesel42, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Diesel42

Diesel42

Does anyone have experience with this setup. Been researching these shackles(these are the one's that both scissor and revolve), haven't read anything bad. Wondering if they would work good w/Dakkar springs. Thanks in advance.

2. HawkDriver

HawkDriver

Media:
    Albums:
    Don't see what the difference would be. Aren't they just like normal springs but flat in the perch mount area?

3. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

I've heard nothing good about TF shackles on a 40 from my friends at W*o*R. In fact one of them just went back to a stock style plate shackle (extended) because the TF's did absolutely no good on his rig.

4. Relix

Relix

A friend of mine with a 1978 CJ5 has had them on his truck now for atleast 7 years and he loves them, we've gone wheeling together and they seemed to work fine..

5. honk

honk

Media:
    I think that the main gripe I've seen about those sorts of shackle is that they have a tendency to open up under downhill braking making for a very odd and possibly dangerous situation.

I know that I've seen several people post about trying them and going back to what they had previously.

But if you have a friend with a CJ5 and he loves them then why ask us? There's nothing unusual about Dakkar springs other than their good quality and design:)

6. Diesel42

Diesel42

I don't have a friend with a CJ-5, that was Relix. I called Terra-Flex to inquire about there scissor/revolving shackle. They advertise they make one for the FJ40 series, yet it has a 1/2" shackles bolt. I told them that the Fj40 uses a 5/8" bolt up to 1979 then went to a 18mm through 1984. They provide bushings and bolt for the lighter jeep. Don't think they realize the LC's are much heavier. So he said i would have to get my own bolts and come up with my own bushings. Never mind i replied, not interested in there product if there engineers don't know the differences between Jeeps and Landcruisers. I was surpised at my converstaion with them.

7. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead

I had a friend on a light sideway incline and it dumped his truck on its side because the revolver / scissor shackles unloaded. I wouldn't touch them with a two foot stick, if you asked me..

8. Diesel42

Diesel42

9. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

theMule has some good 2" over stocks coming out soon. I can't wait to pick up a set :D

10. haystax

haystax

I have Revolvers on my SOA 40 and am thinking about taking them off and trying a set of homeade shackles in order to see if they are all they are cracked up to be. For serious wheeling and gnarly terrain they might be a liability, for deep rutted roads or stream crossings they were a plus when I still ran SUA w/32" tires. I also reversed the front shackles and that added a little more stability, I don't know if I would run them with a front shackle in stock position.

If you encounter a sharp, sudden change of vehicle inertia front to back or vice versa there is a lot of unloading and weird behavior and although there is articulation, there doesn't seem to be much weight on the drooping tire.

I would say the benefits are much less and maybe more likely to be detriments if you are SOA and over 35" tires, until that there is noticeable benefit IMO

11. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

I've thought about running something similar on my SUA 40, however, if I did, I think I would incorporate winches or some system to compress the rear on downhills and the front on uphills.

12. Diesel42

Diesel42

Haystax-that's the info i was looking for and that i suspected. Appreciate all the responses. BTW- so much for going w/ the Dakkar springs as i was informed today that they apparently don't have a 4" lift spring. So i'll be gettin the HFS 4" system w,1-1/2" barbell shackles.

13. peebles24

peebles24

I have a home made terra flex type shackle that the PO put on my 40. I have no complaints and I have done some off camber stuff that made my but pucker. I drive it on the street also it has never given me any problems aloth I make sure to not take any corners to fast.

BTW I am SOA with stock springs.
    ROTW 40 series 105.jpg ROTW 40 series 106.jpg

14. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

those appear to be different than TF shackles. Those will flex into the frame faster than away from what i see..TF shackles referred to in this post will just straight unload their weight to another area of the suspention :eek: and that isn't good when you're shifting a part of your vehicle around on pavement (sharp curve at medium/high speed, sudden braking, etc). I won't go near em. Yours look like a slightly safer design but I still will stick to regular shackles!

15. bustanutley

bustanutley