Tents (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well you guys have sold me, gonna go with the canvas option. Not sure on Kodiak or springbar yet, but it'll be spring/summer before we actually buy anyway. Seems like either choice would be a good one.

Thanks for the input guys!

Still can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a ground tent. I just ordered this tent from Backcountry because of price point and size/features. This will be our primary car camping tent. We have a larger straight walled tent for longer stays in one spot and a smaller two-pole tent for lighter packing trips.

Big Agnes - Big House 6
YEL.jpg

Big Agnes are premium tents that can be found at low prices. The main reason we were planning to go with the canvas option is because we camp with our dogs and they occasionally try to scratch at the door/door area to get out. We have had them rip multiple tents with their nails and the canvas will just resist that better. Plus we normally camp Memorial Day weekend as our first trip of the year (when the parks open) and that normally means one day or night of snow which clears out 90% of the people (what they don't stick around for is the next day which is a bit cold but all snow melts off). So the tent usually gets cold and we get some condensation inside the tent with the polyester/nylon ones. We are hoping that the Canvas will breathe a bit better.

And definitely for car camping I would not be taking the Turk-a-tent, If we were doing that I would have a 2 or 3 person small tent for us that would go up quickly and what not.

We set it up in our living room last night and wow, the head clearance is astounding for the packed size/weight of this tent. Simple setup and sturdier alum poles than our Kelty - Merced 4man. I could set this tent up by myself, but with my wife helping, it only took about 5 minutes. The rainfly has some nice features to improve airflow too.

@gregnash I hear you on the dog issue and breath-ability in snowy weather. We don't do cold weather camping, so my criteria are a little different than yours: waterproof and airflow. If I go on a cold weather trip, the wife stays behind, and I take my Walrus 1.0 solo tent or the Eureka 2man if I need more room inside.

Still can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a ground tent. I just ordered this tent from Backcountry because of price point and size/features. This will be our primary car camping tent. We have a larger straight walled tent for longer stays in one spot and a smaller two-pole tent for lighter packing trips.

Big Agnes - Big House 6
YEL.jpg

Love the welcome mat, that's a great idea.

Another question is, how much do you camp?
I have a springbar outfitter and it has been aces. I camp pretty frequently and it has never let me down.

If you're camping once or twice during the summer, you might not have any issues with the Kodiak tent. It's really what's going to work for you. If you're camping more than that, it might be problematic.

I, personally, have had enough cheap gear fail on me that I don't even look at it, let alone consider purchasing it.

Though, any more, I don't bother with a tent at all. I got to pretty remote places, so seeing other isn't at issue, it's dry so it doesn't rain often, and don't want to obstruct my view of the sky at night.

Last edited:
Really that does become the question, How much are you camping and where?
Like I said, for us we camp multiple times a year starting Memorial Day until the parks close in late September/Early October. So that means we have everything from snow on Memorial Day weekend, to the high high temps in the middle of summer. Not all the campsites we stay at have full day coverage so the tents will get hot/cold depending on the angle of exposure and what not.

We had been spending less than $200 on a tent that would last us maybe 2-3yrs before it was time to buy a new one. The reasoning behind the bigger, canvas was simply to spend the money on something that would last us much MUCH longer. Like I said, this canvas tent was my parents and they bought it in 1973ish, that makes the tent older than me (and in some cases in better condition). So if it lasts us at least another 3-4yrs of good camping then we got our money's worth. However, I have a feeling I will be giving this to my nephew when the time comes.

Winter camping season is coming up. In Wyoming, we use small canvas tents with a little stove inside. Winter camping has to be one of the most relaxing experiences there is. I like to go solo, mainly because everyone I know is not properly geared up, and it's just you and the fire.

WetSnowAccumulation.jpg

At this point we only camp a few times a year, but the plan is to increase that frequency as the kids get a little older. Even if we don't that's ok, they're not that expensive, and I bet if I wind up not liking it I can recoup a bit of my money anyway.

snobdds ever hear of the Arctic Oven? Seriously, gotta love winter camping-did it several times back East, nice tent BTW

Quite honestly for my car camping needs I can't beat the Coleman Instant Tent. Sets up faster than anything I've seen, it takes me longer to get the sleeping bags out of the car and unrolled than it does to pitch the tent. Standing headroom for anyone. It's fairly well made, though it can't compare to the canvas ones, but it is much cheaper. There are two versions. The one I've linked costs a bit more but is worth it with the full mesh top and full rainfly, I've rode out a few thunderstorms with no issues, factory seam seal kept me dry. It is heavy, but its going in the cruiser so it doesn't matter much, and I've got much lighter backpacking gear for when I need to carry it myself.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Compa...with+fly&pebp=1421626145411&peasin=B00I4XDUO8

I'm a big fan on light weight tents made by Mountain Hardwear, Kelty etc. but if you have dogs the canvas tent should be the way to go.

For canvas tents you are basically looking at the outfitter tent category at Cabela's. The Kodiak 10'x10' looks like it might do the job for you.

This cabelas coupon code is good for 10% off and free shipping for any one that shops on their website.

We camp with our 2 teenage daughters and 3 brittanies in a Big Agnes Flying Diamond 8. It's big enough that my wife and I and dogs can sleep on XL cots in the front room with the dogs and the kids have thermarests in the back room, with enough space for our bags. We have had some issues with the dogs scratching at the mesh doors to get out, so I've finally broke down and ordered a frame for my 12x14 canvas wall tent that I use for hunting. We'll probably start using the wall tent for family camping as we can fit 4 cots plus the wood stove. It packs up a lot bigger than the Big Agnes but my backpacking days are long behind me (although I still have my 20+ yr old MEC Tarn 2 just in case). FYI, my wall tent is probably close to 40 yrs old and still in great shape! My dad and his hunting buddies used it for 2 months a year for 20 years, and now I use it about 3 weeks a year every fall.

I've got the REI Base Camp 6 and love it. Anyone around here using the OzTent? I love the concept but I am wondering how people are liking them, worth the money, etc.?

I have a 6 man Sierra Designs tent I absolutely hate. Bent poles failing zippers after 20 nights use. Just a total POS.

We went with a used pop-up camper as a replacement. It's the best way to keep mama happy and is really nice with young children. They can be had pretty cheap. Just saying.

Otherwise carry on with a Springbar. They are super nice tents and will stand the test of time. I grew up in a canvas wall tent. The only draw back is the packed size and weight. But for kids and dogs it's the way to goo IMHO.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1425483460.364333.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1425483482.344984.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1425483502.963493.jpg

Kodiak Canvas. Just got back from week long fishing trip in the rain forest and it performed perfectly. I can set it up in 15min by myself, drunk. Only downside is the weight.

I've owned a Springbar 10x10 version, have seen plenty of Kodiak and Oztents.

One comment on Oztent - you think Springbar and Kodiak are big and bulky to store and expensive - Oztent has both beat big time :eek:. Nuf said on an otherwise nice tent when set up. It does go up quicker than Springbar/Kodiak.

Some would say Kodiak is an offshore knockoff of the US made Springbar. They are both excellent tents. Floor of the Kodiak seems little thicker than Springbar, but a ground tarp solves that. The stake holders and rope around the base of the Springbar is much better and stronger and that's where the strength of this tent design comes from. On my Springbar - 16 stakes around the base. I think the vents at the ends of the tent on the Kodiak open up and the Springbar doesn't. Can be put up by one person too. Not a backpacking tent - IIRC the 10x10 weighed in at around 60lbs and not sure if that included the beefy poles or not! I did upgrade my stakes to Snowpeak stakes. The v-notch stakes that came with the tent are fine in soft ground or sand, but in rocky soil, they'll bend like any regular stake. I have yet to bend the Snowpeak stakes - not cheap but worth the investment.

Room inside is great in both. Head room from end to end unlike dome tents. Plenty of room for cots, gear, chairs, etc. Both have the hanging storage bags. One nice thing Kodiak has that Springbar does not is a door on both sides of the tent. That may be useful for some. Just for me, not an issue. The 10x10 just for me was almost too big! Buddy has the 10x14 and it's a palace of room! I think someone said it earlier in the thread - not the best tents if you move every day as they do take a good 15 minutes to set up or take down compared to 5 minutes for a similar sized nylon dome tent.

I spent some horrific nights in high winds and rain without any worry the tent was going anywhere. I've have been in the truck if I had a nylon dome tent!

They are canvas, so even more important to make sure they are put away dry or you really, really must open up to dry out at the earliest opportunity you have.

You can't go wrong with either. Support US made products if that's your thing and the budget will allow it IMHO.

Oh - one is green and one is brown. :D

I've spent money on lots of tents over the years and unless you are backpacking and looking for a lightweight, strong unit, I don't really see the point in spending much on a car camping based tent. I've spent money on tents from REI only for them to tear on rocks or sharp branches.

I have gone back to buying Coleman tents.... They setup easy, are durable and I don't give a crap if they get dirty. To be honest I've never torn one even camping on hard dirt with broken shells on the ground, with thorn branches and cactus in all directions.

I've spent money on lots of tents over the years and unless you are backpacking and looking for a lightweight, strong unit, I don't really see the point in spending much on a car camping based tent. I've spent money on tents from REI only for them to tear on rocks or sharp branches.

I have gone back to buying Coleman tents.... They setup easy, are durable and I don't give a crap if they get dirty. To be honest I've never torn one even camping on hard dirt with broken shells on the ground, with thorn branches and cactus in all directions.

Well then I must have some bad luck because every Coleman I have ever had leaks like heck after a few months. And yes I was very liberal with the seam sealant that Coleman sells. Probably spent more on seam sealant than the tents cost me. Had to put tarps over top of them. It was mandatory.

Then moved to an REI Base Camp 6 and that tent is awesome. Never did or had to seam seal it and after 3 seasons of camping in it, never had one problem or leak. Just a great tent that was in more than a few monsoons with no issues. I sold it to a friend for $200 because my kids are getting bigger and I now have the bigger Kodiak (same one as TLC in post #36). Another great tent that I will probably hand down to my grandkids if I am ever blessed enough to have them.

I will pay good money to never wake up in a puddle of water. YMMV.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom