Tensioner pulley kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a squeal in my serpentine belt so I ordered a belt kit off of rock auto. My question is it necessary to pull the whole tensioner pulley assembly off or can I just replace the pulley itself? Trying to avoid taking off skid plate and water pump if I don’t have to.
thanks

OK, there's no need to remove water pump at all, thats a whole different thing. No need to remove skid plate either for changing tensioner, though I think some people might, and I don't know why that is.

Now, as to whether you can get away with swapping pulley which only takes a few minutes, maybe. Why is it squealing, due to a bad bearing in the pulley, or due to lack of tension from the tensioner? I'm betting on lack of tension, as a bad bearing would just make a grinding noise until it grinds to a halt, then it'll squeal like hell until it just snaps.
Anyways, I'd pop the belt off and spin the pulleys and see how they feel. Also I think I you can look at index marks on the tensioner to see if its setting tension properly. Can't remember if its obvious, or if you gotta read repair manual.
Now if you're lucky, and it is just a bearing, you could change the pulley from your new tensioner onto the old one, and be done in like 10 minutes. I think it may be a reverse thread bolt. But, there's the potential that you have an early style tensioner and the late style tensioner you get won't have a pulley that fits on your old tensioner. I'll post a pic later. I don't know when they changed tensioners, but maybe since you have an '06 its already got the new style.
Anyways, if you do have to change the tensioner, its kind of a bear, as you have to remove a bunch of crap ont he front of engine and unbolt power steering pump and alternator, and let them hang in place. It may take a few hours. I did it all by reaching in from the top. Some people may prefer to reach from bottom, and there's no reason to mess with water pump, thats timing belt related.

I stole this pic from another user, and believe thats new style tensioner on left and old on right. Your new tensioner will look like one on left. If your truck currently has the tensioner like the one on the right, the new tensioner pulley wont fit on it. There's stuff underneath the pulley that gets in the way.
If you have the new style tensioner, and its just the bearing that's bad, I would absolutely consider just swapping pulleys and being lazy and done with it.

IMG_2171.JPG

I stole this pic from another user, and believe thats new style tensioner on left and old on right. Your new tensioner will look like one on left. If your truck currently has the tensioner like the one on the right, the new tensioner pulley wont fit on it. There's stuff underneath the pulley that gets in the way.
If you have the new style tensioner, and its just the bearing that's bad, I would absolutely consider just swapping pulleys and being lazy and done with it.

View attachment 2504790

View attachment 2504790
Yeah my question is do I need to install the circled part or can I just install the pulley? See pic
FF192A23-38AC-480C-AA9C-ED8FD9F44F17.jpeg

If the actual tensioner part is still in good condition, ie still applying pressure to the belt, then you can definitely just replace the pulley without removing the tensioner. I did this on mine right after I bought it, and did the second ribbed side idler at the same time. Are you sure that pulley is tone making noise? I'd recommend removing the belt and checking both idler pulleys for play and smoothness, as well as checking the fan pulley. When my fan pulley started making noise I couldn't feel any play in it until I removed the belt.

If you bought the drive belt kit that includes the tensioner, hang onto it and have it installed next time the timing belt is done.

OK, there's no need to remove water pump at all, thats a whole different thing. No need to remove skid plate either for changing tensioner, though I think some people might, and I don't know why that is.

Now, as to whether you can get away with swapping pulley which only takes a few minutes, maybe. Why is it squealing, due to a bad bearing in the pulley, or due to lack of tension from the tensioner? I'm betting on lack of tension, as a bad bearing would just make a grinding noise until it grinds to a halt, then it'll squeal like hell until it just snaps.
Anyways, I'd pop the belt off and spin the pulleys and see how they feel. Also I think I you can look at index marks on the tensioner to see if its setting tension properly. Can't remember if its obvious, or if you gotta read repair manual.
Now if you're lucky, and it is just a bearing, you could change the pulley from your new tensioner onto the old one, and be done in like 10 minutes. I think it may be a reverse thread bolt. But, there's the potential that you have an early style tensioner and the late style tensioner you get won't have a pulley that fits on your old tensioner. I'll post a pic later. I don't know when they changed tensioners, but maybe since you have an '06 its already got the new style.
Anyways, if you do have to change the tensioner, its kind of a bear, as you have to remove a bunch of crap ont he front of engine and unbolt power steering pump and alternator, and let them hang in place. It may take a few hours. I did it all by reaching in from the top. Some people may prefer to reach from bottom, and there's no reason to mess with water pump, thats timing belt related.
So do i need to install the circled part of this image or can I just use the pulley?

C5F31C41-F1B8-4A45-8330-8044EDFAC1F0.jpeg

If its the timing belt tensioner pulley that needs to be replaced, its this part:
8AB7D359-1EE6-4C4F-8C8F-B888CD818F6C.jpeg

But if its the serpentine belt tensioner bearing, this is the part:
05D862C8-44EE-4715-A85F-7BD084A37182.jpeg

Last edited:
The OEM tensioner should outlast the aftermarket "new"tensioner, so keep the OEM tensioner and just install the pulley. Make sure to check the pulley again in 10K miles. I don't trust Chinese bearings and they ahrdly last 6000 miles. If you are careful, you can install just a good Japanese bearing into the pulley too. The bearing is about $7.

Replacing the serpentine belt is pretty easy. You need a new belt, a new idler and either a new tensioner assembly or just the bearing from within it. See here

Replacing the serpentine belt is pretty easy. You need a new belt, a new idler and either a new tensioner assembly or just the bearing from within it. See here

Yeah I got the kit and realize its not that hard but its a little more involved if I'm replacing the whole tensioner assembly, so I got to thinking I could probably just take the "new" tensioner pulley off of the assembly and just replace the pulley rather than replacing the whole assembly off.

Yeah I got the kit and realize its not that hard but its a little more involved if I'm replacing the whole tensioner assembly, so I got to thinking I could probably just take the "new" tensioner pulley off of the assembly and just replace the pulley rather than replacing the whole assembly off.

The problem is that replacing the pulley cost a much as a replacing the pulley and tensioner. The exception is pressing a new bearing into the old pulley. I believe @2001LC has identified an acceptable replacement bearing from NAPA. To my knowledge, an acceptable pulley alone has not been identified. (other than OEM)

Removing and replacing pulley is easy but take note some new pulleys are smaller than the original, so if you bought a kit and plan to just use the pulley that will be an issue.

Removing and replacing the tensioner is more involved and requires moving power steering pump and alternator to get the tensioner off. Nothing to crazy just more time in labor and tools needed.

When I removed my pulley some of the inner sleeve/ material from tensioner broke off, so I would prepare to just replace the entire unit but fingers crossed on replacing just pulley or bearing.

Removing and replacing pulley is easy but take note some new pulleys are smaller than the original, so if you bought a kit and plan to just use the pulley that will be an issue.

Removing and replacing the tensioner is more involved and requires moving power steering pump and alternator to get the tensioner off. Nothing to crazy just more time in labor and tools needed.

When I removed my pulley some of the inner sleeve/ material from tensioner broke off, so I would prepare to just replace the entire unit but fingers crossed on replacing just pulley or bearing.
Did it today by just using the pulley. Everything seems to be solid so far and no squeal! Thankfully didn’t have to take PS pump etc...thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom