Tempermental Horn.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My horn is possessed! O.K., maybe not but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've pulled the steering wheel cover and cleaned all of the button contacts with emery cloth but the stupid thing still has a mind of it's own. When it's working, it will only sound when the wheel is turned to the left, and not at all when it's turned to the right. I'm thinking a loose wire somewhere in the steering column but thought I'd put it out to the group and see if anyone else has had this problem.

Any good thoughts before I tear into my wiring?

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Does the spring loaded contact protrude when the steering wheel is removed? Does it move in and out smoothly?

Tempermental Horn....and the fix is easy!

I had a similar problem on my 87 60. There is a spring loaded brass contact that pushes up onto a brass ring. This system allows for continous electrical contact as you turn the steering wheel. Problem is that this spring pushes hard enough that the brass contact wears - it has a small surface. I put some washers under the ring, to move it closer to the contact, effectively making up for the wear in the contact. Works great - sometimes I just toot my little horn for fun now!

I read somewhere that this spring-loaded contact is available as a replacement part, and that "down under" it's a known wear item.

I just looked on SOR...the brass ring is the "horn ring" and the spring-loaded dealy is the "horn contact."

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat190.tam?xax=18211&page.ctx=cat190.tam

Hope this helps.

This won't help at all, but my horn started honking by itself one day. My wife couldn't figure out who was out in the driveway honking. She'd go out there and no one was there, go back in, and a horn would sound. Finally caught the cruiser honking with nobody in it!

She tried pushing the horn buttons to get it to stop. Finally had to call a neighbor over. He pulled the wires off the horns under the hood.

I came home and disconnected the horn relay instead. Don't know if it was just the relay because I haven't replaced it yet. Kind of afraid of ghosts at this point.

True story and not a bit of help. Just had to share it. :eek:

mine did a similar thing. horn died, thought it was the horn itself, rewired an air horn throught the relay, worked for a week, died, ignore the problem. go out wheeling, and it sticks on, without me touching it. had to cut the relay off.

Most all of my horn problems were the relay either stuck open or closed. Other than the contacts what can it be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom