Temperature Gauge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 76 FJ40 with a non functioning temperature gauge. I went ahead and replaced the sender and checked that the wire from the sender to the plug on the back of the gauge cluster has continuity. I think that I have narrowed it down to the gauge, but I am not the best with electrical, so could be wrong. Also, I'm not sure if it is related or worth noting, but my carb cooling fan doesn't come on either. My initial thought on the temp gauge was to try replacing the gauge with a working used one, but I am having some trouble finding one. There are a bunch of them on ebay that are described as 1969-1973. Will these work for a 76? I am not a major purist if the only difference is the print on it, that doesn't matter to me if it functions just the same. Also I have looked into buying a new gauge cluster km/hour 50 am setup from City Racer. I know I will need to swap the mph backer plate and add a fusible link for the 50 amp meter and the odometer will read in km, but I am wondering if this is the lesser of all evils to end up with everything functioning and brand new. I am also kind of wondering if the km on the odometer will compensate for mileage driven on 33's. Need to do the math on that!

Does your fuel gauge work correctly? It has a regulator inside which feeds the temperature gauge with 7v(?), so can have a knock-on effect.
Try grounding your temp sensor signal pin through a test lamp as indicated in the manual - this will tell you whether it's a gauge or harness problem.

Thanks for the reply. So it seems as though the fuel gauge is working fine. I will test the temp gauge with a ground this evening.

I believe @JVZii does a lot with gauges and can maybe help?

Thanks @Skreddy

I do have replacement gauges for a 76. There is good advice above to try to ground it out with a test light. Also check these 2 legs on the circuit board they are the power and ground (Red is power and Yellow is ground) for the Temp gauge. If one of these are damaged the Temp gauge will not work.

1681849278380.png

If you go with a Kilometers setup, I have overlays for the speedometer to convert the kilos markings to their MPH values. I also have these in +5 and +10 mph versions.
decal.png

Thanks to all for the help... It turned out that after testing as suggested, I narrowed it down to the gauge. At that point I took the gauge out and took a close look. The issue was the keeper on the needle stem had been pushed on so far that it was restricting the free movement of the needle. I just slid the keeper out a hair to free up the needle and everything is right as can be now!

Thanks @Skreddy

I do have replacement gauges for a 76. There is good advice above to try to ground it out with a test light. Also check these 2 legs on the circuit board they are the power and ground (Red is power and Yellow is ground) for the Temp gauge. If one of these are damaged the Temp gauge will not work.

View attachment 3301591

If you go with a Kilometers setup, I have overlays for the speedometer to convert the kilos markings to their MPH values. I also have these in +5 and +10 mph versions.
View attachment 3301599
Do you have these listed somewhere? Ours normally have both kph and mph, but this could make my life easier while in the UK

Thanks @Skreddy

View attachment 3301591

View attachment 3301599
I have this same issue. Fuel gauge works great but temp gauge does not. Electrical is not my thing.

Do you have these listed somewhere? Ours normally have both kph and mph, but this could make my life easier while in the UK
Here is a link to the eBay listing. If you want to pay me directly I can give you free shipping and cut eBay out.

You can test your carb fan by turning the key to run and grounding the wire that goes to the temp sensor on the manifold. I have worked on a bunch of those 79 fan controlers and they are problematic. I have a few repaired and tested on the shelf. Not connected with your temp gauge issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom