TechStream and Windows on Mac ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
TLDR: You need TechStream but only use Macs / Linux and you don't want to use bootcamp or dual boot.

Hello all, so I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this but thought I would at least start here to help anyone out thats been in the same boat as me. That said if it should be moved please tell me!

Intro:
So I am a recent 80 series owner and love the thing as much as my tried and true V8 4th Gen 4Runner. That said she def needs a little work and in particular some issues with the computer and sensors (something that I haven't had much experience with in dealing with the 4runner... yet). :)

Enter TechStream... after reading enough about the potential issues and ways of diagnosing I came to the conclusion of diving into TechStream. As stated I only use Mac and Linux boxes at the house. I used to work at Apple so we have plenty of those laying around and I tinker and code on the Linux workstation.... And if you've ever tried to post install (dual boot) Windows on Mint you'll know how much of a pain that is and something that I have no interest in doing to my workstation.

Sooooo what about a VM? VMs are great and all for low memory, low RAM applications but once you start sending a ton of IO through the connection layer bw the VM and the main OS you are going to get bogged down, so while this may work it is certainly not ideal... so is there another solution?

Solution:
I am NOT the producer of this video BUT when I saw it I knew that this could be my ticket.

What is this video you ask.... (before clicking). Well with the advent of fast SSD hard drives, and relatively fast USB protocols, it is possible and actually SUPER preformant to run an entire OS from an external SSD!

In the above video you are walked through the process of installing windows on to the external HD (which costs only around $140 on amazon, but less models will work too).

So you'll have an entire working version of windows 10 x64 on the SSD, wo having to dual boot or partitioning your hard drive. Then all you'll need to do is install TechStream and away you go....

NOTE:
There were a few gotchas along the way for me, like having to give permission to the OS to be able to authenticate VMware Fusion when mounting the VM. However if you search for the error code VMware throws and / or: "VMware, TeamIdentifier, Allow". the first solution will get you going again. I am not sure how pervasive that issue is with the above method.

See attached image for the solution:

IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom