Tcase post-install Help PLEASE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All! My truck is a 6/1980 FJ40. I just had my tcase rebuilt , and after installing it something is 'dragging' intermittently. It causes a 'growling' noise after taking off from a stop. I disconnected the rear driveshaft, and, turning by hand with transmission in neutral; the parking brake drum(rear output shaft) will rotate fine backwards; but will only go about 1/2 revolution forward and then 'clunk' it stops. If i rotate it backwards a turn or two, i can then rotate it forward again about a half turn, then 'clunk' and it stops again. After it stops, with force it will turn forward, but with much resistance- i suppose this is where the growling sound is coming from when i drove it. To tp off my confusion- after a few times of turning backward, then forward- it will rotate fine forward and backward with no stopping?????
The parking brake is adjusted all the way off, so it is not grabbing until the lever is pulled all of the way up-just to narrow down the problem. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!! thanks! Chris

Sounds to me like an output gear is loose (not shimmed/spaced tight enough) and floating forwards and backwards on the shaft. Since the gears are bevel cut spinning the output shaft in reverse will make the gear ride onto the teeth, tightening it up, but spinning it forward forces it off the teeth, away from the mating gear. If that is the case it can be hitting the inside of the case which is awful close to the larger output gear. My .02.

Thats a good point Paul, but could the shift linkage be hooked up/adjusted wrong or the fork not lined up? You aren't talking about a split case are you?

follow up

Ok- i took out all of my parking brake shoes, springs, and all guts and put it all back together. Now there is no noise and no drag??? any ideas what could be wrong with my parking brake setup? Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom