Talladega NF questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
Threads
Can anyone help out @ntsaint?

Considering a trip to Talladega National Forest, and he said you know the area well?

Was wondering if you could help me on things to see, roads to travel, and most importantly places to camp. Planning on 2 nights there.

Tentative plan is to start at Sylacauga and work north. We'd be getting a late start into the forest, so only about 2 hours of daylight available to find camp once we leave town the first night. But that's based solely on me looking at google maps.

We don't mind visiting state park areas or public campgrounds, but would rather camp off the beaten path if possible. I see nothing out there (previously used camp areas) using my normal google earth stalking techniques.

Also, I have it noted to hit High Falls, Cheaha Falls, Cheaha Mountain, etc, but no idea if those are worth it. Also have been told 600-1 and 600-2 are worthwhile offroad rides.

ANY thoughts or recommendations you have would be MUCH appreciated.

Hey @Godwin, we did 600-1 and 600-2 last summer, definitely worth it to seek these out. We started from Sylacuaga too and with 2 hrs of daylight you'd have time to find a good camp site off those roads.

There are a couple good cliff side spots off of 600-1 where people routinely camp.

@jasonbraswell, do you still have the route info we used?

That's great info thanks.

I have 600-1 mapped out. So there are some cliffside pull offs on that road headed north that are good camp sites? I have seen nothing from google earth.

Here's the view from one of those 600-1 sites..

IMG_0469.JPG

Our rigs at the camp site...

IMG_0471.JPG

And a shot from under the power lines. If I recall correctly the camp site is just after the power lines on 600-1...

IMG_0470.JPG

@ufg8r this is more than helpful. I pulled up google earth and found the exact spot you posted above...right after the power lines, at Sherman Cliffs. Thanks a ton, exactly what i needed.

Lived in that area several years ago and used to tear it up on my bike. Need to drive up in the cruiser soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom