Tall Corn Cruisers-Introductions (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really just want to go to meet up with my buddies from Louisiana. It's kind of a central meeting point for us.

Howdy, I live in Cedar Rapids and I bought my first LC last year in May. Its a green 1995 FZJ80 that is stock, locked, no rack or spoiler, and had about 99k miles when I got it in St. Louis. It is my DD and fishing/canoeing/exploring vehicle for the family. My mechanic skills are basic so all I have been doing is oil changes, other fluids, replaced some cracked hoses on the power steering and some belts. I would like to find a mechanic that knows cruisers close by to go through it and tackle some projects I don't have the time to learn how to do. I can already see it needs a front axle rebuild and the brakes are shot. I could do pads but it is going to need more. I already have a set of used front mudflaps coming my way so I can yank off the rusting running boards and have some protection on gravel. My most dominating hobby right now is homebrewing beer. I always wanted an 80 since high school and 15 years later I could finally afford one. I had been in a Jeep Cherokee for years and my wife agreed it was time to get the LC when we went for a third child but got numbers three and four. I hope to find some time someday to get involved with Tall Corn Cruisers and get some experience with off road obstacles worse than the ravine I haul firewood out of by my house. One more thing, my cruiser came with a hood ornament that is going to go the second I decide to get a fresh coat of paint or just can't look at it while I drive anymore. It was almost a deal breaker but it was the nicest cruiser I could find after 6 months of looking within a days drive of home.

I'm not a Tall Corn Cruiser guy but I am a member of Bayou State Land Cruiser Association out of Lafayette, LA. I moved to North Central IL earlier this year. I haven't been wheeling too much around here but I have done a bit back in Indiana. I am in the Quad Cities and sometimes up by you now and then. I would love to meet up and talk yotas (I have a 4Runner and not an LC though). I think TCC has the Tall Corn Cruiser Classic coming up soon. I am heading down to Hot Springs, AR in October for the Southern Cruiser Crawl and we had GSMTR down in TN last month.

Check out TLCA.org. We are comprised of an awesome group of individuals that are full of helpful experience. I am currently looking for a local(er) club to join, but regardless of which it is, I always meet people at TLCA events that make everything worthwhile.

WELCOME TO THE CLUB! TLCA THAT IS....

Howdy, I live in Cedar Rapids and I bought my first LC last year in May. Its a green 1995 FZJ80 that is stock, locked, no rack or spoiler, and had about 99k miles when I got it in St. Louis. It is my DD and fishing/canoeing/exploring vehicle for the family. My mechanic skills are basic so all I have been doing is oil changes, other fluids, replaced some cracked hoses on the power steering and some belts. I would like to find a mechanic that knows cruisers close by to go through it and tackle some projects I don't have the time to learn how to do. I can already see it needs a front axle rebuild and the brakes are shot. I could do pads but it is going to need more. .

Eddies Custom Hotrods, his dad "Ed" has a repair shop in the same building. Very Landcruiser savy. The shop is just off 380, collins exit then south on center point road behind Bob Mickey Collision Center. You can see the building from 380 just before the exit.

Hello!

I guess I should introduce myself... I really wanted to make the rescheduled meeting last weekend, but had a conflict.

I'm Eric and I live in the Des Moines Beaverdale area with my wife and 5 yr old son. I work in IT for the Principal and own my own small potatoes web hosting/consulting side biz.

I was in the market for an FJ Cruiser for quite a while after they came out, but never really got hooked until a little over a year ago. I searched high and low and about a month later found a used one in Munsie, Indiana for a steal and it's been a great learning experience since then. I'm new to Toyota's, but I'm 100% hooked!

The FJ came with OME light springs for a lift and I added 285's and upper control arms. A Demello front bumper should be in transit soon, so new OME heavies are probably the next step so I can also add some armor down below. It's my daily driver so I added an iPhone dock, an Ultragauge, bluetooth hands-free, and some steps (I know!) that just bolt on to the rock rails for the kiddo and the lady of the house.

I stumbled across this site late in the summer last year and read about the TCC Classic but I wasn't able to make it. I definitely will attend this year!

Here's the beast after driving around in the fresh snow a few weeks ago...
DSCF1103-small.jpg

Welcome

It will be nice to have another FJC in the club. We do get a discount at Toyota of Des Moines. Off roading can be expensive. I just ordered a rear quarter window I broke at Texas Jamboree last week. :crybaby: - Larry

It will take a lot of seat time to be able to wheel like Larry. That is when it gets expensive.

Wow Larry! That was quite the run! Got any inner fender cracks under that hood? :eek:

Last time I checked both sides slightly bulged and a small crack started. I don't obsess over the problem. I think it comes from the tires hitting the inner fender, from my observations. I have over 100K on it now.
Let me know if you need anything. I have a bunch of tools and oxy-acet welder and a gas shielded wire welder.

I miss wheeling with Larry and the rest of the TCC as well. Now that project FASTDZL is done, I can work on the FJ a little more.

I guess I should introduce myself... I really wanted to make the rescheduled meeting last weekend, but had a conflict.

I'm Eric and I live in the Des Moines Beaverdale area with my wife and 5 yr old son. I work in IT for the Principal and own my own small potatoes web hosting/consulting side biz.

I was in the market for an FJ Cruiser for quite a while after they came out, but never really got hooked until a little over a year ago. I searched high and low and about a month later found a used one in Munsie, Indiana for a steal and it's been a great learning experience since then. I'm new to Toyota's, but I'm 100% hooked!

The FJ came with OME light springs for a lift and I added 285's and upper control arms. A Demello front bumper should be in transit soon, so new OME heavies are probably the next step so I can also add some armor down below. It's my daily driver so I added an iPhone dock, an Ultragauge, bluetooth hands-free, and some steps (I know!) that just bolt on to the rock rails for the kiddo and the lady of the house.

I stumbled across this site late in the summer last year and read about the TCC Classic but I wasn't able to make it. I definitely will attend this year!

Here's the beast after driving around in the fresh snow a few weeks ago...

I'm not a member of the local club...but welcome to the Toyota family! Also good to see an IT guy on here. If you need a wheeling fix, I am heading to Superlift on the 18th for something my club is putting together. It's an open event, so everyone's invited!

Welcome ejulson glad to have you and thats a sweet truck you have there, you will have a blast. Hey raevenzero are you goin to superlift for the 4th of July? I heard that event is pretty awesome. Not sure if you remember but I met you last year down there for the TLCA event, I was with my buddy in his greeen 96 runner and we wheeled together for a bit on Sunday, I will check to see if I have any pics to help jog your memory

I remember you. I would still like to see the pictures though!

I will probably go to Superlift in Feb 18th but not in July. I will likely be going to GSMTR and I have a Moab trip planned for around the same time. I wish I could make it though. GSMTR should be awesome this year. I had a lot of fun and did a lot of damage last year and they are supposedly making a ton of improvements to Golden Mtn for the event this year.

Hello Hawkeyes

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jeff. I recently moved back to Cedar Rapids after about 11 years away from Iowa. I've seen a few LC and FJ around town since I got back and wanted to say hi. I'll jump on and join TCC (gotta have a sweatshirt, is it too late?). I've had a couple of LC over the years. Only have my 80 right now and it's my DD but she's pretty capable. :D I look forward to meeting you all and getting out and going wheeling. Talk to you all soon!

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jeff. I recently moved back to Cedar Rapids after about 11 years away from Iowa. I've seen a few LC and FJ around town since I got back and wanted to say hi. I'll jump on and join TCC (gotta have a sweatshirt, is it too late?). I've had a couple of LC over the years. Only have my 80 right now and it's my DD but she's pretty capable. :D I look forward to meeting you all and getting out and going wheeling. Talk to you all soon!

Hello and welcome.:wrench:

Hello Jeff, Welcome!
It is not too late for the hoodies. Post up your size in the thread and as soon as we get to our goal of 20 we will get them ordered.
Keep posted will have a meeting hopfully around april to get some stuff hashed out and hand out the Hoodies.
What side of town do you live on? Where do you work?

:cheers:

Welcome

It will be good to meet you. Not too long until the trails are passable. :cheers:

I may have already asked this, but how many of you guys live near the Quad Cities?

Also, are their any Illinois guys that hang out on this side of the forums?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom