Talk to me about mult-piece driveshafts. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't even know if I'm using the right terminology- but heres what I'm running into. With the length of the drivetrain on my project, I'm going to have like a 6 foot long front driveshaft. I'm thinking that in order to keep it from hanging out the bottom and grabbing every rock it can find of running it parallel to the frame up to near the starter (above the belly pan) and then a carrier bearing, then down at an angle to the front differential. no slip yoke necessary on first piece. Maybe double cardan after carrier bearing. Should I make drawings to fax to someone like Jesse at high-angle, or take pictures to email? Is there something I havne't thought about? Seems like I saw a picture of Nolen's Kate that had something like this.

Other complicating factor- as it stands now, the driveshaft will hit the belly pan at full droop of passenger side front tire.

If I can do this successfully- the driveshaft would be somewhat protected by the leaf springs. Sorry about the horrible drawing. Luke
driveshaft.GIF

I have basically that exact driveshaft on my rig. Been there for 3 years or so.

Just measure where you want the carrier bearing to be. Mock it up and then send Jess the measurments.

Also, you can use a Stock 2 piece toyota rear DS to make your new front DS. Jess replaces the carrier bearing with a better one.

Jess did my front 2-piece shaft....find my D300 install thread, and there will be pics.

1310 at the front output, 13" to the flange with a carrier in the middle....26" or so for the working length of the front shaft with minitruck joints....no CV required. Works awesome, and despite lots of skid plate abuse, it's barely even got the paint scratched on it.

Jess just put one together for me. I have been nursing a super long driveshaft for years, and although I have never broken one, I was wearing out a 1310 ujoint about every other trip. Also, my tranny pan was giving me fits when I tried to upgrade to a larger diameter shaft.

I just got a 2 pc unit from Jesse at High Angle. Cruiser Mini at the Atlas to 1410/1410 at the carrier bearing and 1350 at the 9"

Have not beat on it yet, but I have faith in Jesses work.

I guess I would start with a rear then from a mini truck, just for mock-up purposes, then have one made with all the correct joints. Anyone have one to contribute to the cause?

The Rear minitruck unit will be fine..

Toyota stuff is stronger than a 1310

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom