Tail Light Assembly: how to access side marker and possibly replace the assembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
coachglenndavis.com
I leave from Denver to the AL coast in a few days and it will be helpful to have these two issues resolved for safety reasons. At least the lights on the tail gate and the third brake light are working normally.

While I was testing my custom-made bar to hold a brake/tail/turn lights that will go on our bike rack, I noticed issues with the tail lights.

1) Not all of the "lights" on the right tail light are illuminating. I examined the wires and housings, and looked to see if the wires were snug. I even ran an extra ground wire to the body but this didn't help. The light flickers as well. I posted this issue a few days ago but now I'm wondering if the assembly needs to be replaced. If so, any ideas for inexpensive options?

Tail light 1.JPG

2) The left tail light works as normal but the side marker light isn't illuminating. Is this also an indication the assembly needs to be replaced?

Tail light 2.JPG
Tail light 3.JPG

Last edited:
Did you try a test light on the sockets to see if you're getting 12V?

Globe is loose. Its VERY easy to pull the whole light out. Easier than reaching in the body to do it. Under the 2 10mm bolts, pull light towards rear (not towards the side)

Thanks @VooDoo 2. I probably should’ve been clearer. I’m able to pull out the light assembly. I finagled with the bulb and wires but nothing solves it.

My hunch is part of the electronic lens or circuit boards were damaged from the 4x4 trails near Ouray in July.

I still don’t know what the side marker light on the left side isn’t working. The Toyota diagram shows only one bulb and of there’s light emitting from the tail light, then why isn’t the side marker not working?

I’m taking it to a dealership tomorrow for the seat tensioner recall. Maybe the service guy will know.

Sounds like I'm still the noob here trying to figure things out. The tail lights and side marker lights are LED. The parts guy at the Toyota place this morning told me those LED boards eventually go bad, and sometimes the lights stop working one by one which is the case for our cruiser. So after my trip I'll see if I can find an inexpensive replacement.

Any update on this? One if mine is out too, so looking for a solution. Thanks!

I'm popping this back to the top of the board just in case anyone has found an affordable solution for replacing the rear tail lights.

I updated my 2015 pre facelift rear to a 2019 Facelifted rear end

View attachment 2582217
looks great! Where did you source the kit? I have seen a few Dubi kit offerings (some are OEM, some are aftermarket or a mix)... so just wondering what you ended up with.

On a funny note, I'm struggling to find a cheap replacement for a tail light and @VooDoo2 has done a make-over to the entire rear end. Looks great!
We chop em up and turn them into dual cab's here. There are 1000's of rear ends. I got both doors (upper and lower) all the lights and trims for a carton of beer (local currency)

25550328_10155198946983181_5482022211564317596_n.jpg

26169400_10155232805718181_2301593146467990536_n.jpg

26992014_10156193615855820_2610322271387142596_n.jpg

27912698_1609123762516968_2798700076305807032_o.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

My driver side tail light does not illuminate. Does it mean i have to buy a new tail light assembly after reading this post? The led bulb is not replaceable?

My driver side tail light does not illuminate. Does it mean i have to buy a new tail light assembly after reading this post? The led bulb is not replaceable?
The 2-piece taillight assembly is a combination of bulbs and circuit boards. It depends on which part is out. If the entire thing is out, it is possibly not an issue with tail light but possibly upstream; plug, fuse or something else.

I have never been a fan of the huge fugly tail lights that started with the 100 series and carried over to the 200. Looks like a Lincoln Navigator or something. I would love to eliminate the part in the liftgate and use only the part on the back of the quarter panels just like an 80 series. However, I don't want it bad enough to go through the expense. If my lift gate was in the bodyshop for other damage perhaps. Even lockable color matched metal doors where the part on the lift gate is would be nice. Have a pistol behind one. But I don't know if all the functions are in the outside part of the lamps or not. Why put more plastic on the back in the first place? Do they think that is pretty? Must be the same guy who designed the grill on the later LX.

The 2-piece taillight assembly is a combination of bulbs and circuit boards. It depends on which part is out. If the entire thing is out, it is possibly not an issue with tail light but possibly upstream; plug, fuse or something else.
I checked all the fuses, and wiring are OK. Only the turn signal and side marker works. I twisted gently the small circuit board where the wire connects and now even my side marker is out.
I dont think that circuit board is replaceable so does this mean I need a while new tail light assembly?

If you need to replace the assembly, I suggest finding a Chinese knock-off on EBay. See my post above. I got a replacement from EBay for about $110. OEM tail light assemblies are insanely expensive.

I don't think that circuit board is replaceable so does this mean I need a while new tail light assembly?
Sadly, yes. I have not heard of anyone replacing a circuit board. I ended up going the Chinese-knockoff route, using a parts house out of CA so I could return if they didn't work. The lights have worked fine for over a year now, but the quality is definitely not OEM (weight significantly less). You can replace only part of one side for a reasonable price, through a discounter Toyota parts outfit like LaGrange Toyota (no affiliation). I used them for most of my Tundra IFS parts and saved a bundle off of list. If I remember correctly, the difference between my knockoff lenses and the discounted OEM was about half.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom