Tacoma Best Models (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stay away from all of them, buy a jeep. Roll Tide!

j/k

What are you looking to do with it? What’s your budget?

j/k

LOL! B/W politics and my football season it can't get much worse! I will use it to travel some and light duty stuff but definitely want 4WD. I have a Tundra now and it's a great truck but just don't like the size. Budget 15k-30k...thanks so much!

LOL! B/W politics and my football season it can't get much worse! I will use it to travel some and light duty stuff but definitely want 4WD. I have a Tundra now and it's a great truck but just don't like the size. Budget 15k-30k...thanks so much!

1st gen is the smallest (more narrow) if you’re looking to get into tighter places. 2nd and 3rd gens are about the same size. Some folks prefer the 4.0 to the 3.5, the 4.0 does build torque in the lower RPMs compared to the 3.5. A brand new SR5 4x4 can be had for about $30k, an “older” 3rd gen’s retail would probably be high enough to consider just buying new (that’s how I ended up with a 2020). They are all good trucks.

That said, I’d stay away from first year models; 1995, 2005, and 2016. Less bugs to worry about. 1st and 2nd gens need to be fully inspected for frame rust. Many had frames replaced under recall from Toyota.

After that it really comes down to creature comforts. I have pinched nerves in my neck and lower back, the availability of a power driver seat made a huge difference for me as mine is my daily driver.

Don’t let let the naysayers persuade you from what you want.

1st gen is the smallest (more narrow) if you’re looking to get into tighter places. 2nd and 3rd gens are about the same size. Some folks prefer the 4.0 to the 3.5, the 4.0 does build torque in the lower RPMs compared to the 3.5. A brand new SR5 4x4 can be had for about $30k, an “older” 3rd gen’s retail would probably be high enough to consider just buying new (that’s how I ended up with a 2020). They are all good trucks.

That said, I’d stay away from first year models; 1995, 2005, and 2016. Less bugs to worry about. 1st and 2nd gens need to be fully inspected for frame rust. Many had frames replaced under recall from Toyota.

After that it really comes down to creature comforts. I have pinched nerves in my neck and lower back, the availability of a power driver seat made a huge difference for me as mine is my daily driver.

Don’t let let the naysayers persuade you from what you want.
Thank you very much! What about the 4 cylinder? I’ve been looking at some but haven’t been able to locate a new one for 30K. Any ideas where I can locate one?

Thank you very much! What about the 4 cylinder? I’ve been looking at some but haven’t been able to locate a new one for 30K. Any ideas where I can locate one?
4cyl might be harder to find. Not as popular with buyers as it’s only available in the access cab. Dealer inventory and options vary a lot by location. A quick search of Carmax revealed only 1 4wd 4cyl Tacoma.
https://www.carmax.com/car/19957346

As you know Tacomas and Tundras hold their value well and are highly sought after. Best of luck in your quest.

Do a couple test drives. You may find you like/dislike the feel of certain generations/engines/trans combos. On paper vs in real life experience often don't line up.

4cyl might be harder to find. Not as popular with buyers as it’s only available in the access cab. Dealer inventory and options vary a lot by location. A quick search of Carmax revealed only 1 4wd 4cyl Tacoma.
https://www.carmax.com/car/19957346

As you know Tacomas and Tundras hold their value well and are highly sought after. Best of luck in your quest.
Thanks Very Much!

j/k

I found a 2009 with 170K I'm going to test tomorrow...it has the 2.7 liter engine....do you know if this truck has a timing belt? Thanks

I found a 2009 with 170K I'm going to test tomorrow...it has the 2.7 liter engine....do you know if this truck has a timing belt? Thanks
It’s a chain. Toyota advertised it as a life long part so unless it’s making any noise it should be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom