Taco engine question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm interested in buying a 01-03 Tacoma and I'm trying to figure out which engine is better. From the reserach I've done, the available mills were the 3.4, 2.7 and 2.4. I've ruled out the V6 from a ease of maintenance and gas mileage standpoint. So which is better, the 2.7 or the 2.4. The 2.4 obviously has some history behind it. Is the extra torque and 8 horsepower difference worth it? I am favoring the 5-speed if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

I could be wrong, but I thought the 3RZ (2.7L) was the only 4-cylinder in 4wd's and the 2RZ (2.4L) was the only 4-cylinder in 2wd's.

That makes sense. Guess that answers my question.

Thanks!

I'm interested in buying a 01-03 Tacoma and I'm trying to figure out which engine is better. From the reserach I've done, the available mills were the 3.4, 2.7 and 2.4. I've ruled out the V6 from a ease of maintenance and gas mileage standpoint.

Just to be the devils advocate; the 3.4 is easier to work on (from experience), and there isn't much difference in the mpg. I can get 20mpg in my 3.4 dbl cab with lift and 32s. If my wife is driving, it's even better. I also had a 5spd 3.4 ext cab that averaged 21-22 (stock).

You get more options with the 3.4 (i.e. TRD), and just didn't want you to limit yourself because of mis-information. Unless you just love the body style of the 01-04, might consider a 99 or 00.

Now if you find the 2.7 with stock 4.30 gears, that would be the one to jump on.

Slight correction, the 3RZ(2.7L) was also available in the PreRunner(2WD on 4WD chassis).

I am looking to replace my '91 2WD pickup, and I'm not really into the Prerunner thing, so I just want a standard, low slung 2WD.

Thanks for the tips on the 3.4L too. I guess I won't rule it out.

Is this even a good idea? I've put lots of new parts on the old girl, and she has way low mileage (112K). It runs OK, but its getting a little crusty and the pinion seal leaks pretty bad. Other than that, its dead reliable. Does the Taco give a better ride and/or perform that much better?

ill be intrested in buying the 91 from you if you decide to sell.. is it Ex Cab??

like with everything, the new taco will have better and upgraded everything.. with each generation they make things quieter, more reliable, better enginered..

Pinion seals are easy, and a tune up would be way cheaper than a new truck.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom