Tablet Mount ideas GX 460? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Once you've finalized the project and you feel confident in its durability please share the hardware needed in order to complete this.

...so I did get in a about 30-40miles of off-pavement to test this set up.... I'm really pleased with the screen location. It is an easy glance and doesn't block anything that I regularly use.

one setback, the jb weld I used between aluminum plate and inside of plastic dash panel did not hold for me(after ample time). I sanded the back contact-surface of the plastic, cleaned up the aluminum plate face and used Gorilla Glue two-part epoxy. This is working well so far.

(I turned on the audio screen so you can see the relationship. A few editorial notes, I don't really have a direct channel for God (would be nice). I listen to alternative - kexp - on the west side of the state, and country once I cross over to the east at the Pass...)

1593993792767.png

Here is the full list of items (reference at your own risk - pls double check before ordering). If someone figures out a better way to do this please post.

Parts:

M5x25 button head bolt (black) x2 $1.30

M5x20 button head bolt (black) x2 $1.10

5mm flange head nut x2 $0.76

Aluminum flat bar 1 ¼ x 1/8 $3.89

RAM system:

RAP-B-200-12U RAM VARIABLE SWIVEL ARM $16.49

RAP-B-238U RAM COMPOSITE DIAMOND BALL $6.99

RAM-B-202-UN9U RAM® X-Grip® Holder with Ball $88.49

Total parts : $118.32

Tools:

Drill

Drill bits

JB Weld

Gorilla Glue 2 part epoxy

3mm hex

painter’s tape

Hack saw or equivalent

How I assembled system:

(reference at your own risk)

• Assemble the RAM system & mount tablet
  • Use painter’s tape to mark desired location of diamond ball base
  • Mark edge of overlapping leather trip with painter’s tape & remove trim pieces
  • Cut approx. 3 inches of aluminum flat bar and confirm location behind diamond ball
  • Double check location
  • Using diamond ball as template drill through console plastic into aluminum backing
  • Clean up holes (slightly oversized to bolt) for aluminum backing in shop and dry fit ball base, aluminum and flange head nut
  • Check aluminum bar hole alignment with console holes
  • Mount flange nut to aluminum stock with jb weld (diamond ball assembly screwed in as jig) – wait for jb weld to set up
  • Double check dry alignment, sand interior plastic face, clean with alcohol wipe, then Gorilla Glue epoxy aluminum flat bar assembly behind console. Again diamond ball assembly screwed in as jig) – wait for epoxy to set up

Last edited:
man forget riding with Jesus, this fella’s riding with God!!! 😂

beautiful scenery by the way and good write up. I too was looking at Ram mounts. Appreciate the input!

...so I did get in a about 30-40miles of off-pavement to test this set up.... I'm really pleased with the screen location. It is an easy glance and doesn't block anything that I regularly use.

one setback, the jb weld I used between aluminum plate and inside of plastic dash panel did not hold for me(after ample time). I sanded the back contact-surface of the plastic, cleaned up the aluminum plate face and used Gorilla Glue two-part epoxy. This is working well so far.

(I turned on the audio screen so you can see the relationship. A few editorial notes, I don't really have a direct channel for God (would be nice). I listen to alternative - kexp - on the west side of the state, and country once I cross over to the east at the Pass...)

View attachment 2362540

Here is the full list of items (reference at your own risk - pls double check before ordering). If someone figures out a better way to do this please post.

Parts:

RAM system:

Tools:

Drill

Drill bits

JB Weld

3mm hex

painter’s tape

Hack saw or equivalent

How I assembled system:

• Mark edge of overlapping leather trip with painter’s tape & remove trim pieces
  • Cut approx. 3 inches of aluminum flat bar and confirm location behind diamond ball
  • Double check location
  • Using diamond ball as template drill through console plastic into aluminum backing
  • Clean up holes (slightly oversized to bolt) for aluminum backing in shop and dry fit ball base, aluminum and flange head nut
  • Mount flange nut to aluminum stock with jb weld (diamond ball assembly screwed in as jig) – wait for jb weld to set up
  • Double check dry alignment, sand interior plastic face, then Gorilla Glue epoxy aluminum flat bar assembly behind console. Again diamond ball assembly screwed in as jig) – wait for epoxy to set up
If your Gorilla Grip fails, if you haven't already, clean ALL the surfaces to be bonded with alcohol (IPA). Any debris, oils, etc. will compromise your bond.

While I was adding a USB port in the center console this past weekend I found:

1) A ton of space for a mount base .
2) A solid place to attach to.
3) A no cut of factory plastic possibility.

D0F95714-0295-4B57-BE3F-D91064D7803E.jpeg

279DB406-C62F-48A8-9068-3DDD8EA3F6CB.jpeg

Realistically it'll be fall before I can get into this as the rig has other higher priorities that need to be taken care of.

Last edited:
Looking forward to some innovative ideas on this!! 👍

View attachment 2362540

Parts:

RAM system:

Tools:

Drill

Drill bits

JB Weld

3mm hex

painter’s tape

Hack saw or equivalent

How I assembled system:

• Double check location
  • Double check dry alignment, sand interior plastic face, clean with alcohol wipe, then Gorilla Glue epoxy aluminum flat bar assembly behind console. Again diamond ball assembly screwed in as jig) – wait for epoxy to set up

I think two rivnuts would make it look oem-ish, never come out, sandwich the plastic and backer plate well. When the rivnuts are empty it would look slick or add some pan head bolts

Maybe go with #10 or #12 for a smaller rivnut but sturdy bolt. Free way to install them.

Last edited:

Parts:

RAM system:

Tools:

Drill

Drill bits

JB Weld

3mm hex

painter’s tape

Hack saw or equivalent

How I assembled system:

• Double check location

I like your RAM mount install... I'm considering duplicating this, but I will be using my Hondo Garage Big Squeeze tablet mount. If you haven't seen their mounts (phone and tablet); they are the best currently available for off-road purposes. I've owned RAM phone and tablet holders as well.

I like your RAM mount install... I'm considering duplicating this, but I will be using my Hondo Garage Big Squeeze tablet mount. If you haven't seen their mounts (phone and tablet); they are the best currently available for off-road purposes. I've owned RAM phone and tablet holders as well.

They are fantastic.

I drop them a bothersome email once every few months about it lol. I ran their stuff in my 4Runner and I loved it. I’m not sure how much room is above the center stack vents or if you could even cut into the dash material easily but I am hoping that they come up with a simple T-slot track mount for that area.

At this time the seat mount bracket with flex arm is the only viable option IMHO. I have one left over from my 1st Gen Raptor but it bounces and vibes too much for my OCD needs haha.
Hey we like the bothersome emails, lets us know who really is interested in a mount, its a tough call sometimes what to bring to market; we finally did design a mount for the 460, ended up with a more low profile track mount version on this one, due to the design/shape of the dash and potential over difficult installation of one of our other style dashes. ended up with a pretty clean low profile option that is pretty damn solid and avail in two configurations.

GX4.jpg

Hey we like the bothersome emails, lets us know who really is interested in a mount, its a tough call sometimes what to bring to market; we finally did design a mount for the 460, ended up with a more low profile track mount version on this one, due to the design/shape of the dash and potential over difficult installation of one of our other style dashes. ended up with a pretty clean low profile option that is pretty damn solid and avail in two configurations.

View attachment 2626773
Looks great, is there a powered option currently works?

Looks great, is there a powered option currently works?
Well, we initially were going to do a powered mount version but when it came down to it: it was going to make the install far too difficult for the average person and would have sat way too high on the dash, we decided the easier install lower profile version was going to have to be the answer. If someone wants to install a USB outlet we have our flush mount fast charger that can be installed in place somewhere on the dash if someone has the skills and desire to do so.

View attachment 2626773
I love what I see, I just need to figure out which one to order. How are the 2 configurations different? I read on your website that one supports more weight but does the additional structure goes behind the dash trim pieces? Is the picture the one with self-tapping screws?

I love what I see, I just need to figure out which one to order. How are the 2 configurations different? I read on your website that one supports more weight but does the additional structure goes behind the dash trim pieces? Is the picture the one with self-tapping screws?
So Configuration A wouldn't have the side supports you see, it would have the middle support that is hard to see but fits in the recess pocket where your display is, it is very inconspicuous and if you didn't know it was there most wouldn't even see it, it is pretty much the main support for the track

Configuration B adds the two side supports you see in the pics, they attach to the plastic dash trim via through screws and nuts on the inside and then tie together the entire assembly.

Well, we initially were going to do a powered mount version but when it came down to it: it was going to make the install far too difficult for the average person and would have sat way too high on the dash, we decided the easier install lower profile version was going to have to be the answer. If someone wants to install a USB outlet we have our flush mount fast charger that can be installed in place somewhere on the dash if someone has the skills and desire to do so.
So you never plan to have a powered version? I don't want to buy this and hack up an ugly diy usb power solution then see a better looking powered version come out lol

So you never plan to have a powered version? I don't want to buy this and hack up an ugly diy usb power solution then see a better looking powered version come out lol
Totally understand that, Its highly doubtful we will make another version, if anything we will look for somewhere we can cleanly install a usb when the next GX460 comes to pay us a visit

View attachment 2626773

I am glad I rode y'all about it on @IG as well haha. I look forward to picking one of these up but I need to decide which of the two will better suit my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom