Tablet Mount ideas GX 460? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm searching for best options for a tablet mount approach in the 460 (2013) balancing cost and off-road stability. I would likely only use when on off-road trips.

I have RAM mount parts so my most likely path is to determine a ball placement that makes best sense. I'd like to use the existing OE screen for climate control and audio - ideally have tablet just to the right. I don't want to mount to windshield with suction cups.

I like Stubble (CA)'s approach on the club lexus board - but wonder if there are any solutions more subtle.

I just bought a pro-clip mount solution that mounts to GX 460 specific vents - but seems scaled to a phone or gps.

This is a problem I need to tackle as well. I'll be interested to see what comes up. I have zero desire to drill into any plastic.

In my Taco I ran a bracket made by Panavise that bolted to existing radio mount bolts. The trim gaps were large enough that the bracket fit. I installed a ball and a IPad tablet mount that worked well. Pictured is just the X grip. This is what I ran for non trail use.

326824C5-D9AF-45FB-B477-0B496F5527AE.jpeg

Last edited:
I talked to Expedition Essentials about making one of their PAM (Power Accessory Mounts) for the 460 platform and they said they're starting to hear more and more interest in one.

Unless you want to drill holes, we are very limited right now and I think their solution is elegant and practical. If you like what they do, I'd ask that you reach out to them about it and maybe enough inquiries will get them working on it ASAP.

For now, for a tablet, the seat leg mounted flex arm with RAM mount is probably your best bet.

I talked to Expedition Essentials about making one of their PAM (Power Accessory Mounts) for the 460 platform and they said they're starting to hear more and more interest in one.

Unless you want to drill holes, we are very limited right now and I think their solution is elegant and practical. If you like what they do, I'd ask that you reach out to them about it and maybe enough inquiries will get them working on it ASAP.

For now, for a tablet, the seat leg mounted flex arm with RAM mount is probably your best bet.

I drop them a bothersome email once every few months about it lol. I ran their stuff in my 4Runner and I loved it. I’m not sure how much room is above the center stack vents or if you could even cut into the dash material easily but I am hoping that they come up with a simple T-slot track mount for that area.

At this time the seat mount bracket with flex arm is the only viable option IMHO. I have one left over from my 1st Gen Raptor but it bounces and vibes too much for my OCD needs haha.

I'm glad there are others searching for a better tablet mount solution as well...

I did run across the PAM solutions - those look like a flexible platform (and I found I needed more USB last week too)

The Stubble solution (console side mount ram ball - picture in post #32) : Phone/Tablet mounts - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

I'll have to share a picture of my "make do" chunk of plywood with RAM tablet mount from last week's trip.... it should cause a few chuckles, and I didn't quite match the stain of the wood trim (amongst other challenges with this inelegant approach)

Heck, I just have my wife hold my iPad when we're traveling!
Actually she uses her phone more than the iPad.
Also, Apple products suck for using Google Maps.
Google Maps will not give your real time speed!
I use Google Maps all the time for knowing what the real-time speed limit is on the road I'm on AND what my current speed is.
I'm about 10% off on my speedo on account of my oversized tires.

What did you put in the dead switches on your console?
I'm referring to the red buttons.
I'm asking because when I get my MT and CC, I'll have to replace that console plate and I'm thinking what I want to put in those two spaces.

Looks like a BC/DC switch to manually disconnect and bridge his dual batteries and then a digital gauge for the battery read outs.

The bluesea battery isolator switch and a voltmeter. I was also figuring out what to put there as well after cc and MTS. I ended up with that

Reactions: r2m
so... here was the "make do" solution that I used for a week-long trip with ipad/gaia navigation. I slid the white end down between passenger seat and console and it proved pretty solid (no sliding).

I've got some ideas for a ram system along the lines of stubble (link above), but perhaps more hidden when not in use... Amazon delivery of RAM parts is slow (7+ days) so fortunately I'm in Seattle and can do will call pick up at their office here.

1592970725823.png

With trim panels removed, I think I can mount the base in this thicker plastic trim with some reinforcement (for a RAM diamond mount ball)

1592971421877.png

Amazon took 10 days to deliver the first simple RAM part I ordered, so I call RAM CS and they were happy to facilitate a will call pickup at their South Seattle facility - much larger than I expected (with production bustling) and friendly folks... Happy to support a Seattle business.

Rainy Saturday, so I moved methodically through this simple project...

RAM X-Grip Assembly:
1593312042198.png

Three parts - X-grip, arm and composite diamond ball base:

1593312191522.png

Composite Diamond Ball base with 5mm button head screws with flange head nut and aluminum bar

1593312399841.png

The exciting step is drilling into the dash... pilot holes first
1593312539381.png

The backing elements with flange nuts mounted to aluminum bar backing with jb weld (diamond ball and screws acting as jib / clamp)

1593313136852.png

And diamond ball mounted to console as jb weld between aluminum bar assembly and console sets up.

1593313303480.png

So that's the progress today on this one banana job... I will test it around the neighborhood with tablet weight tomorrow to see how it performs and post the parts and my process if passes initial muster...

If it isn't immediately apparent, I jb welded those elements so I can remove the ball base and just have the two black button heads showing when I'm not running a tablet. My goal was functional tablet mount near line of sight for navigation, but without year-round black ball projecting out...

Sorry it this approach seems painfully obvious to others but there seemed little info on "how to gx 460 tablet mount"... Feedback on this approach welcome.

I like what you did here. I am excited to see if the aluminum backer will be enough to support the added stress over time. JB Welding the nuts on the back was a great idea. Should I decide to mount a ram ball somewhere similar I will definitely consider using this method.

This is turning into a slo-mo project with other distractions....

JB Weld set up overnight, and I got some better screw lengths....

Here is the off-season look with two black button heads...

1593397315224.png

The RAM X-Grip set up without tablet :

1593397448063.png

And this is the view with tablet (spaced to retain use of OE screen for climate and audio - I typically drive with the screen off / dark)

1593397636759.png

I still need to do a shake test with some backcountry travel...I'm also going to try a thin rubber layer under the diamond mount as a dampener.

Note that the diamond ball need to be mounted more forward (toward seats) to avoid conflict with trim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom