T-Case Rebuild - Need a Tucson Shop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I need recommendation for a solid and experienced shop in the Tucson area to rebuild my 80 Series transfer case and install a part time kit. I got the rig all back together after the motor swap and the test drive sounds like metal in a blender. I am not comfortable driving it anymore and I dont really have the energy to rebuild it myself at this point.

If there is a stellar shop in the Phoenix area, I am willing to drive it up there. Just want it done perfect the first time so I can get my 80 back on the road.

Cheers, Thanks, and Happy Trails

Give Bill at Tucson Differential a call. They might be able to help you out. I’ve used them before and they did good work and came highly recommended.

Was the tcase noisy before the motor swap?

If you had either driveshaft apart, check to make sure that they are in phase and that your tcase and pinion flange angles are equal but opposite of each other.

It's pretty rare for Toyotas to have tcase issues, every suspected tcase issue I have seen has been driveshaft related, and I have fixed quite a few. Only exception is if the case was run low on oil or someone did a poor assembly job.

I picked up a spare case up years ago fearing the worst (before I crawled around under the truck). Ended up adjusting the rear pinion angle 5 degrees to match the tcase after the lift and it has been smooth and quiet for 40k now.

It was always a bit noisy I thought, but with all the interior removed it is extra noisy. It has a harmonic at speeds above 45 mph when the drive train is very lightly loaded. I have always been a fan of Toyota's under engine/over axle design philosophy and the 80 Series running gear is a prime example. In the rig build up, I have had both drive shafts rebuilt, and gone through the front axle by both necessity and for PM. I would love to have some 2nd and 3rd opinions on the noise, as like you said above, Toyota T-cases are pretty bombproof. On the way home last night it seemed to be getting worse, or maybe I am just more tuned into it now. When I turned left at low speed with moderate power, it popped and seemed to grind just a bit. Could be me, or could be that there is a bearing heading out and a few V8 stabs did it in. Not sure.

A secondary pursuit here is that I have wanted to do a part time kit for a good while, and if I pull the T-case, I will do the whole job and be done.

Anyone in the Marana/Twin Peaks Road area that can give me an opinion on it. Welcome to drive the rig and see for yourself.

An out of phase shaft or improper pinion angle will typically make a gravely/grinding/growling noise at light load and be the worst going from on to off the gas, louder as you go faster. Sounds like a possible match for the symptoms you have.

Definitely worth doing it right the first time, but if it ends up being a drive shaft issue the tcase spool is pretty easy to install with the case in the truck.

Every lifted 80 with stock non adjustable rear links will have an incorrect pinion angle to varying degrees depending on lift height. The front depends on lift and caster correction method/amount, but I have never seen one that was both lifted and correct for a non-cv shaft. usually they are just close enough to fly under the radar. Differences of 3 degrees or less generally don't cause noticeable problems, more starts to cause vibration and noise issues.

If you have a CDL switch, pull the front shaft and drive it around - see if anything changes, then repeat for the front.

Tony Izzo.
Hwy Drive and Wetmore, honest and good for an opinion.

lloyds transmission just did my TC. i haven't put any miles on it yet, but they seemed to have a lot more than average TLC knowledge

Thanks for all the replies. I have sourced a replacement one for about half the cost of rebuild parts. Might be rolling the dice on how long it will run, but should be good. I think my front output bearing dying was due to the PO driving it for so long with the front prop shaft in such poor condition. It shook the whole rig when I bought it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom