T case opinions needed please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the 80 series autos got the 2.29 or is it the 2.48... i can't remember now. and the auto 60s got the lower gearing...

The ratios that I know about are:

2.276 - early split case 4 speeds
1.959 (or thereabouts) - earlier H55F
2.295 - later H55F, A440F

The 80 series has a lower low range at about 2.48.

I have Mark's gears now, and have 3.05. I know that for a fact... no mysteries anymore :grinpimp:

~John

interesting, it says here that the HZJ77 got the 2.295...
yet the PZJ77 got the 1.963
all the LJ and KZ got the 2.295
the 80 series whether auto or manual got the 2.488
in 1996 the VZ, RZ KZ KDJ got 2.566
and the newer UZ and HDJ recieved the 2.488

at least that is what the book says.
<now i am on the hunt for a t/case with 2.566 gears>

Thanks guys great info, now lets find ME a t case with some low gears. I need to get this thing running soon, my friends are getting sick of driving me around. Anybody close to me have one of these that will work? I would like at least the 2.295's or more.

I have been trying to find out for three days, cant get an answer on the phone or a call back. I guess i'll have to get a ride down there and ask in person.

Wow maybe there watching this thread LOL just called me, got some options. He is going to try to piece one together for me with just the stuff i need and the lower gears to try and save some money. Thanks for everything and I ll let you know how it turns out. J

I fairly sure both of mine are 2.29 from the factory. I compared the gears from my 73 series,1988 model ,with a spare t/case I have from a 93 HZJJ75 and they were the same.

Thats intersting, are you able to confirm by counting the number of teeth on the low range idler gear ? Just pop off the PTO cover and count.

I have 4 H55Fs, 83,two 85 and one 86 build and all have the same ratio low range and were all behind different engines.

interesting, it says here that the HZJ77 got the 2.295...
yet the PZJ77 got the 1.963
all the LJ and KZ got the 2.295
the 80 series whether auto or manual got the 2.488
in 1996 the VZ, RZ KZ KDJ got 2.566
and the newer UZ and HDJ recieved the 2.488

at least that is what the book says.
<now i am on the hunt for a t/case with 2.566 gears>

Are any of those later model gears interchangeable with a H55F part time case? ie the 2.488 80 series gears or newer HDJ models?

Thats intersting, are you able to confirm by counting the number of teeth on the low range idler gear ? Just pop off the PTO cover and count.

I have 4 H55Fs, 83,two 85 and one 86 build and all have the same ratio low range and were all behind different engines.

It was sometimes in 86 when they went to 2.29,according to the TLC FAQ - 8.1 Transmission & transfer Case Ratios (All :1) (I dont know how accurate that is) but I do have a dismantled transfer case in my shed from a 93 HZJ75. If I get the time I will have look.

BIG thanks Wayne, i thought you might have had something to do with that. I guess it helps to have a reputation like yours. Once again I am in debt to you for your help and expertise. I hope i can return a favor some day. Cheers!!!

Good , I am glad crushers helped you out, LIKE I said if he was too busy then I would help. I dont like to cut other peoples grass. My Toy Box and Cooper Discovery STTs 35 12.50s and Pro-Comp 98 16 by 8 s are one week away for River Shiver( my Christmas present)

Last edited:
i have been tempted to do the drive back out to attend the next River Shiver with the boys. i have to admit i miss the old gang.

"cut other peoples grass" - never heard that one before. what does it mean?

"cut other peoples grass" - never heard that one before. what does it mean?

Down here "cutting another mans grass (or lunch)" means porking someone's missus while hubby is away lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom