T case opinions needed please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, been forever since i was on here but I am in need of some advice please. My BJ74 5 speed has some transfer case issues. It has failed and is beyond a rebuild, major damage to hard parts. This being said I am exploring ALL options before going ahead with anything. Any and all advice and opinions are much appreciated. Thanks J

Hello all, been forever since i was on here but I am in need of some advice please. My BJ74 5 speed has some transfer case issues. It has failed and is beyond a rebuild, major damage to hard parts. This being said I am exploring ALL options before going ahead with anything. Any and all advice and opinions are much appreciated. Thanks J

Hard parts are all available. A picture is worth at least 1000 words.

Complete transfer cases are also available.

~John

John, thanks for the response. Unfortunatly I am not working on the vehical myself (no shop). I cant get any pictures. I was told there were teeth and bits of metal all over the t case. Also the main shaft is majorly damaged, beyond repair. I have been doing some looking into what is available as I need all new parts. This is what is cauing my confusion. I want to build the best cruiser for my money and want to explore all my options. I am hoping that people can give some advise on what they have done or would do in this situation. I know a little bit about gearing and such but honestly don't understand it good enough to decide on what will be best, a used/rebuilt one, new better hard parts, aftermarket, a doubler/twin stick set up ect... thanks

find a t/case out of a auto HJ60, reuse your front half of the case and install.
best bang for your buck.
you can use the gears out of any LC t/case 1986-1999 but not the 80/81 series.
i am sure Dan still has my LJ78 t/case sitting there. he also has some other parts rigs available. you won't have any issues finding the parts you need.

new is WAY too expensive.

Marks gears etc have serious gear whine when installed.

it comes down to the type of wheeling you will be doing. if you are into rock crawling then the after market gear sets are probably for you. if your truck is a DD / Alberta wheeling rig then stock is best.

<and i do disagree, there can be too much gearing depending on your wheeling terrain>

You can use transfer case bits from earlia than 1986 as when i when i punched a hole in my 5spd 1989 3f fj75 gearbox with a start picket one time i lost all oil etc then lost teeth,and used early 4sp transfer bits that my old man had in his shed from 20+ years ago and mixed and matched, only not cool bit is the main transfer shaft in the earlia box's has a smaller diameter but still works

I wish i took pics , i cant fully remember as it was ages ago and ive only done it once , but from mem as i had a hole in my orig tranfer casing i used 1 part of the old casing or maybe the whole old tansfer casing with some of the later cogs in it to match the extra length of the 5 speed business :hmm:
if i had the two box's in front of me appart, i could figure out what i did to make them work together

To OILERSrule , I know crushers or RADD can fix you up But if they are to busy , I have a 38mm idler shaft split case 1989 model that came out of my BJ74 vacum shift H4 with supposedly under 140,000km

Reason why , I purchaced Colldtacos Marks geared case a couple of years ago

I think you can also use the gears from a LJ7* to get a lower ratio low range

the LJ has 2.29 gears. i can't beleive i didn't know this. thanks Rosco.
hummm and to think i have one sitting here, cool.

Oilers, Dan has my old LJ78 sitting there and i don't think the t/case is gone yet.

the LJ has 2.29 gears. i can't beleive i didn't know this. thanks Rosco.
hummm and to think i have one sitting here, cool.

Beanz2 told me about it once,he did the mod to his 75 series. According to TLCFAQ,all H55F got the 2.29

Beanz2 told me about it once,he did the mod to his 75 series. According to TLCFAQ,all H55F got the 2.29

It is not true that all H55F got 2.29 transfer gearing... I know that for a fact. Only the later models from what I have experienced have the lower gearing.

~John

not all H55F got lower geared t/case, not even close to the truth. MOST H55F got the 1.96. the older 60s with the 4 speeds got the 2.29, some of the 4* got 2.29 and some got the 1.96, most JDM units have 1.96.
the 80 series autos got the 2.29 or is it the 2.48... i can't remember now. and the auto 60s got the lower gearing...

Any idea what is in a JDM HZJ73?? I am rebuilding my tranny/transfer and want lower low range - I have a transfer from an HZJ73 but don't know what gearing - although I suspect 1.96. I need lower.

It is not true that all H55F got 2.29 transfer gearing... I know that for a fact. Only the later models from what I have experienced have the lower gearing.

~John

not all H55F got lower geared t/case, not even close to the truth. MOST H55F got the 1.96. the older 60s with the 4 speeds got the 2.29, some of the 4* got 2.29 and some got the 1.96, most JDM units have 1.96.
the 80 series autos got the 2.29 or is it the 2.48... i can't remember now. and the auto 60s got the lower gearing...

My post was supposed to have "after 86" added onto the end. Im not sure how true it is but here,it would be rare not to have 2.29

Discussing transfer case factory gearing options is a MASSIVE topic that if you wanted to go in depth should have a dedicated thread etc. There are so many variables that its not funny which I found alot out when I was looking for gears. Things like, country, engine,gearbox,diffs and year of manufacture all have a influence.

What I tentatively do know is Aus spec H55F gearboxes have a 1.9 ratio low range between 85-90 for all models and engines. And a Aus spec HJ61 Auto has 2.3 ratio low range.

What I tentatively do know is Aus spec H55F gearboxes have a 1.9 ratio low range between 85-90 for all models and engines. And a Aus spec HJ61 Auto has 2.3 ratio low range.

I fairly sure both of mine are 2.29 from the factory. I compared the gears from my 73 series,1988 model ,with a spare t/case I have from a 93 HZJJ75 and they were the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom