t/c trans. assembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
mated the orion to stock 4 speed today. what a chore. super humid and hot shop. any way, the question is why do they make the rear trans bearing in the t/c fit so tightly on the trns output shaft?

it seems to me that the tightening of the nut on the end would sqweeze all of the parts together so that the inner race does not spin on the shaft.
had to make and use a number of spacers, each larger to pull the assembly together. used cut up sched 40 fittings, much easier to cut.
maybe just me or the humidity, but if i ever have do this again, does anyone have a better solution? thinking a diifferent bearing, maybe .001 larger i.d.?
thx for any ideas. i dont think i screwed up but i never know.

jim

you mean the very last bearing under the cone ?
Mine slid on fine , never heard of one going on like a press fit .
Make sure the washer on the end under cone is not pinching the inner race of bearing , this will put thrust load on it and that is bad. The inner race should be just past the shoulder in shaft so this won't happen but it does , often ......

pees, didnt look at that but will. i dont under stand either. put on the new gear before ever trying to assemble any thing and slipped right on. used two bolts to align everything,. since this comes with a new long bolt i just ground off the head of one the old ones. for the other one found that a sae course bolt is a nice fit in trans. not tight and not loose and pulls right out when you are done with no damage to the trans threads

its together now but if pops out of gear i sure would like an easier rebuild. maybe a buddy would help.

jim :) :beer:

pees, just reread what you said. my orion set up is (at least this how i did it) istrans- spacer-new gear-rough finish long pto sub spacer- tight ass bearing- shorter ! 1/4? spacer- thick washer -nut.inner race is way beyond end of threads. it all seems to fit. did i fck up?

jim

given the stack order then the edge of the 1/4 spacer should be just past the shoulder in the outputshaft so the thick washer does not squeeze it .
1/4 spacer behind bearing does not ring true to me . PM poser and treeroot or check the pics in treeroots thread , it gives you a very defenite clear pic of the exact situation you are discussing.

if i remember correctly, tree uses a different trans. dont know if this amounts to hill of beans difference but go back and double check all i can find. thx jim

ok poser where art thou? do yYOU have problems mating the t/c with the trans or am i the only old weak fart out here that does? jim

I think Poser is out in the Black Hills.

Ed

thnx. we got together this morning, and seems to work fine. my only cocern was pulling the two together. seemed awfully tough. just getting weaker than i thught i was . any way, good run today- did not jump out of gear and no visible leaks. but as i said only first run.

jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom