T-Belt light is up (DIESEL engine) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another good thing about removing the skid plate - I noticed the driver's side was oily...

I tried to make some pics, pointing with the laser to the oily part...anyone knows what it is please?

photo_2021-07-22_20-52-09 (3).jpg

photo_2021-07-22_20-52-09 (2).jpg

photo_2021-07-22_20-52-09.jpg

photo_2021-07-22_20-52-10.jpg

I still have no idea how to adjust the marks on timing pulleys when one is on mark and the other is not. Can anyone please help?

I did the job today! when one knows what to do, it is an easy job. Looking back, the hardest thing was keeping the bolts from falling, especially the bottom ones. There is little access for the fingers when the fan is in place.

To anyone who is thinking of doing it - the cover has 6 bolts in total - some are hard to see.

HOWEVER, having put everything back together, I still did not turn the engine. I think I will open the cover again and turn it by hand.
Also, the pulley in the picture was not perfectly aligned. I want to align it perfectly. Do I just take the belt of it and turn the nut in picture counter-clockwise a bit until is is perfectly aligned and put the belt back on?will the bottom pulley stay unchanged or also turn even if the belt is off?

In addition to my previous replies and to the video links and attachments at my Post #5 in this thread, please also see the attachment and pics in this message:

In answer to some of your further questions in this thread:

Question: How closely do the various marks on pulleys and engine and timing belt have to be aligned?

Answer:
The main message is "Strive for perfection". Remember that for 1HD-FTE turbodiesel engine timing, marks on three pulleys must be correctly aligned to the relevant marks on the engine block, so that all major components are synchronised and in the right place at all times. These are
(1) Crankshaft - because this determines where the pistons will be;
(2) Camshaft (called Camshaft Pulley No. 1 in the FSM diagrams) - because this determines when valves will be opened and closed;
(3) Fuel Pump (called Camshaft Pulley No. 2 in the FSM diagrams) - because this determines fuel injection timing (along with some electronics).

As can be seen in the pic in my Post #5 and in those attachments, the Fuel Pump is directly driven by the crankshaft and a hidden gear. Provided that the so-called Camshaft Pulley No. 2 is correctly installed and undisturbed, alignment of this pulley is all that is necessary to ensure that both the Crankshaft and the Fuel Pump are correctly synchronised. You may wish use the mark on the Crankshaft pulley to confirm this -- see diagrams in FSM extract attached to this messsage.

The marks need to be well matched for best engine performance. In addition, the 1HD-FTE is an 'interference engine' -- pistons must not be allowed to collide with open valves -- otherwise the repairs will be very expensive.

You may wish to peruse the attached extract from the Factory Service Manual. This covers several engine variants -- 1HZ, 1HD-T and 1HD-FTE). As you are in Romania, you will have to find your way through the pages, and study the relevant diagrams and text for 1HD-FTE (European Specifications).

Hopefully, the timing belt was supplied by Toyota so that you can be sure that the teeth along the belt are at the correct pitch (meaning the distance beween the teeth are correct). Also make sure that the timing belt is oriented correctly and that the direction arrow (if there is one) is pointed in the direction of rotation and that the tensioner and the roller are correctly installed.

It is difficult to tell from the photos but the viewing angle appears to be slightly to one side which may give some distortion. The installation actually may be OK. Suggest take more pictures of both pulleys when the top pulley is perfectly aligned.

If doubt still exists, suggest remove the timing belt, try re-installing the belt moved one tooth side-ways (both ways) and re-check. Finally accept the best position.

If @uHu or @Moridinbg are on-line, they may be able to provide further clarifications.

Question: Which water pump is best -- Toyota or Aisin?

Answer:
A timing belt kit (second time replacement) and all drive belts (third time replacement) and the original water pump (first repalcement) on my 2006 HDJ100R Land Cruiser were replaced as shown below. The original factory-fitted water pump was marked "Toyota Aisin" -- see pic. Aisin is a major supplier to Toyota -- Aisin - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisin
In my case, the parts were changed for reliabilty -- I do not want avoidable breakdowns or engine destruction on trips in outback Australia -- or anywhere. Vehicle recovery from distant places is VERY expensive. I used a new Toyota water pump from a local dealer for the replacement -- I cannot remember the cost.
I cannot explain the price differences at Partsouq.com. I can say that I have used Partsouq often and always been satisfied for parts which are difficult to obtain or extremely expensive locally.

Question: What is the source of the oil leaks in the @stratus photos?

Answer:
I don't know -- cannot see the details well enough -- but I would have suspicions about the area behind the power steering pump which I can see in your pic next to the crankshaft pulley. The visible drop of fluid appears to be red. It also may be worthwhile to check the fluid pipes from the auto transmission to the transmission oil cooler at the radiator.

Pre-emptive Repairs.jpg

1HD-FTE Water Pump.jpg

Partsouq Water Pump.jpg

Attachments

• 1HD-FTE FSM Extract Timing Belt Remove Replace.pdf
    750.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
In addition to my previous replies and to the video links and attachments at my Post #5 in this thread, please also see the attachment and pics in this message:

In answer to some of your further questions in this thread:

Question: How closely do the various marks on pulleys and engine and timing belt have to be aligned?

Answer:
The main message is "Strive for perfection". Remember that for 1HD-FTE turbodiesel engine timing, marks on three pulleys must be correctly aligned to the relevant marks on the engine block, so that all major components are synchronised and in the right place at all times. These are
(1) Crankshaft - because this determines where the pistons will be;
(2) Camshaft (called Camshaft Pulley No. 1 in the FSM diagrams) - because this determines when valves will be opened and closed;
(3) Fuel Pump (called Camshaft Pulley No. 2 in the FSM diagrams) - because this determines fuel injection timing (along with some electronics).

As can be seen in the pic in my Post #5 and in those attachments, the Fuel Pump is directly driven by the crankshaft and a hidden gear. Provided that the so-called Camshaft Pulley No. 2 is correctly installed and undisturbed, alignment of this pulley is all that is necessary to ensure that both the Crankshaft and the Fuel Pump are correctly synchronised. You may wish use the mark on the Crankshaft pulley to confirm this -- see diagrams in FSM extract attached to this messsage.

The marks need to be well matched for best engine performance. In addition, the 1HD-FTE is an 'interference engine' -- pistons must not be allowed to collide with open valves -- otherwise the repairs will be very expensive.

You may wish to peruse the attached extract from the Factory Service Manual. This covers several engine variants -- 1HZ, 1HD-FT and 1HD-FTE). As you are in Romania, you will have to find your way through the pages, and study the relevant diagrams and text for 1HD-FTE (European Specifications).

Hopefully, the timing belt was supplied by Toyota so that you can be sure that the teeth along the belt are at the correct pitch (meaning the distance beween the teeth are correct). Also make sure that the timing belt is oriented correctly and that the direction arrow (if there is one) is pointed in the direction of rotation and that the tensioner and the roller are correctly installed.

It is difficult to tell from the photos but the viewing angle appears to be slightly to one side which may give some distortion. The installation actually may be OK. Suggest take more pictures of both pulleys when the top pulley is perfectly aligned.

If doubt still exists, suggest remove the timing belt, try re-installing the belt moved one tooth side-ways (both ways) and re-check. Finally accept the best position.

If @uHu or @Moridinbg are on-line, they may be able to provide further clarifications.

Question: Which water pump is best -- Toyota or Aisin?

Answer:
A timing belt kit (second time replacement) and all drive belts (third time replacement) and the original water pump (first repalcement) on my 2006 HDJ100R Land Cruiser were replaced as shown below. The original factory-fitted water pump was marked "Toyota Aisin" -- see pic. Aisin is a major supplier to Toyota -- Aisin - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisin
In my case, the parts were changed for reliabilty -- I do not want avoidable breakdowns or engine destruction on trips in outback Australia -- or anywhere. Vehicle recovery from distant places is VERY expensive. I used a new Toyota water pump from a local dealer for the replacement -- I cannot remember the cost.
I cannot explain the price differences at Partsouq.com. I can say that I have used Partsouq often and always been satisfied for parts which are difficult to obtain or extremely expensive locally.

Question: What is the source of the oil leaks in the @stratus photos?

Answer:
I don't know -- cannot see the details well enough -- but I would have suspicions about the area behind the power steering pump which I can see in your pic next to the crankshaft pulley. The visible drop of fluid appears to be red. It also may be worthwhile to check the fluid pipes from the auto transmission to the transmission oil cooler at the radiator.

View attachment 2738953

View attachment 2738954

View attachment 2738955
Thank you so much! I took everything apart today again, turned the engine by hand, checked the marks, all is perfect!!!!

Started the car, it lives!!! I am happy!

I still insist that your replies regarding this belt job should go to DYI section for reference thanks to all the documents and part number provided here.

Regarding the oil drop being red - I tried hitting it with laser beam to show the part in one of the photos , could it be why the oil appears red?...

But I think you are onto something here with PS pump.I recently had to top up the power steering liquid because it was at minimum. I was wondering then where did it go, because looking from above everything seemed dry. Now I understand where it went. Thank for this suggestion.

I will take the PS issue to another thread though, after I read a bit about this.

And, yes, all the parts where Toyota ones, from Partsouq, hope they are legit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom