Swing away tire carrier with stock bumper. (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This weekends project was to build a simple, lightweight spare tire carrier that doesn’t require a full bumper. One of my friends has a very similar swing out on his 100 he built a while back. However I wanted to detail it out as a help for others to build their own.

There’s a lot of people wanting a bolt on solution,
It’s really not a huge build, just time consuming. I’ve got about 9 hours total in it. That’s including sourcing tools and digging through the metal pile.

There is a receiver tube through the wheel hub for “accessories” so that I’m not hauling around my water can and propane all the time. This will have a no rattle pin installed when I go on trips.

On to the pics.
And yes I know the 100 is nasty. It’s been suv freezing all week with snow and such.

Any questions just ask.

FE504846-9CAF-4A39-BD4E-33B985E83FE8.jpeg

0E659076-95C5-4E71-A900-8083FFCBD806.jpeg

4A9F898F-EED7-4298-9E0B-D85CD2B81B0E.jpeg

7F9B5D70-9E1C-4E65-A1EC-40EC62112846.jpeg

662F2CD4-3F60-49A7-885A-ABC601D13CDF.jpeg

3CD61698-F88E-4EBB-A592-8A9A6EF2154B.jpeg

C210EFC0-6E23-4D81-BFE7-094CD66FBE79.jpeg

BFEDCDBD-4650-4D2B-BEFB-CF07454BF874.jpeg

423880F8-C12D-4C9E-AABF-B9AC609AE1D5.jpeg

6C2A21F5-9D59-4569-9596-5BC868DE498F.jpeg

That is fantastic! Great job.

I welded one up a long time ago. I wasn't too happy with how it turned out. Yours looks super solid. One problem I had was with it kicking back and hitting the tailgate over bumps. I think the way I designed the hinge wasn't solid enough. Yours looks a lot better.

Let us know how it rides off road over washboard and whatnot!

Very nice design!

Excellent concept! One note, your tire seems to be spaced out away from the surrounding bar. Slee specs their tire carriers to have the tire compressed against the bar. The compression minimizes the small vibrations which lead to stress cracking of the stud beam.
It’s hard to describe, check out their install guides for more info.

Excellent concept! One note, your tire seems to be spaced out away from the surrounding bar. Slee specs their tire carriers to have the tire compressed against the bar. The compression minimizes the small vibrations which lead to stress cracking of the stud beam.
It’s hard to describe, check out their install guides for more info.

Actually it’s hard to see it but the tire pulls tight against the bar the last 1/4” of the wheel studs.

I was hoping to haunt some rigidity for the same reason you say.

Whats your plan for the license plate? I only ask because I have a custom rear bumper coming this week and will need to relocate my plate as well and it will require a light.

Whats your plan for the license plate? I only ask because I have a custom rear bumper coming this week and will need to relocate my plate as well and it will require a light.

It’ll get moved down to the lower bar of the swing out with a light.

Oh that’s perfect, great to hear. The PO of my slee swing out hadn’t set that distance up properly and it developed a crack in the weld. Nothing a grind and re-weld can’t fix but glad you got ahead of it!
Actually it’s hard to see it but the tire pulls tight against the bar the last 1/4” of the wheel studs.

I was hoping to haunt some rigidity for the same reason you say.

What’s the consensus on mounting propane tanks on swing outs? I see it done all the time, but then people will call you out on Mud sometimes for strapping an explosive device to your bumper.

Swingout looks amazing! That's the next thing on my list. Are you using bearings in the spindle?

Still dealing with a rear end collision I will never ever strap explosives above the bumper!

Swingout looks amazing! That's the next thing on my list. Are you using bearings in the spindle?

Still dealing with a rear end collision I will never ever strap explosives above the bumper!

Yes bearings in the spindle. This kit 1410050-Swing Out Tire Carrier Hinge Assembly - https://www.4xinnovations.com/Swing-Out-Tire-Carrier-Hinge-Assembly_p_109.html

Regarding the above question on the propane mounted on the swing out. It’s a chance I’m willing to take I guess. I don’t have anywhere else to put it at the moment. And it’s better than being inside.

Also only on my rig when I’m in trip mode. Which sadly is not enough.

IMO, mounting on the swing-out is the best option for SUV's. @clrussell mounts looks pretty solid and the tank is both bolted and strapped down. A metal strap would certainly exude more confidence though to an onlooker. Most people won't second guess a commercially developed mount.

Ideally, the propane bottle is mounted tight to the body, where it won't get knocked off. Ideally it is side by side with the spare tire so it isn't the first point of contact in a collision. Some examples:

LC and propane mount.jpg
100 Series Land Cruiser - Northbound and Down | Expedition Portal

bracketmounted.jpg
liveuFDiLd.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom