Sway Bar links, surgery involved (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
s-Moderator
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
So, my lift has been putting the hurt on my sway bar links on the rear axle. The stock length throws off the angle and they rake forward after the geometry of the lift is applied. My threads on the top of the link stud eventually just gave way and rusted so much that it was difficult to remove the nuts. I had to do something and I've seen my buddies at ACC use this trick.

SwayLinks (3).JPG

New Ingredients:
stock sway bar links
Energy Suspension universal sway link kit (http://a.co/2vP9lyi)
welder

Step one, cut your links cleanly in half.
SwayLinks (1).JPG

And from the $20 universal kit, you just need the steel sleeves. Of course if you have some scrap steel that fits the bill, by all means, save $20.
SwayLinks (2).JPG

Measure the space you are trying to link between the frame mount and the sway bar. You will need to consider that you want weld about 1/2" away from the ball joint end so as not to overheat it. Cut the sleeves to the appropriate length. Then weld the sleeve onto the sway link ends.
SwayLinks (4).JPG

I ended up needing about 1.25" additional over the stock length to achieve this. I also reused the rubber bushing set on top. If you desired, you could use the poly bushings that come with the universal kit.
SwayLinks (5).JPG

I found my link kit packaging over the weekend, if anyone wants specifics on model numbers and such. These are apparently the longest ones they make in this style kit at 4.5".
IMG_5661.JPG
IMG_5663.JPG

Good info. This is on my short list. Need to do something for the front links as well. Took the swaybar off about a month ago and wasn't super happy with how high speed turns felt.

Im aware the lift causes them to bind and eventually brake, extended or adjustable ones are easy to find, wat im more worried about is making the link longer decreases clearance between the swaybar and link end, as the link sits directly over the lower control arm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom