Suspension Terminology (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
http://www.ih8mud.com/ih8mud-suspterm.html

I started this definitions page about a year ago, when a pile of stuff was running thru the PBB with regards to link suspensions. I know consider myself dangerous with regards what these terms mean and how they interrelate, but unfortunately still a rank amateur.

Anyone interested in posting up their definitions, and helping fill in the blank spots on that page?

Post 'em up!

Torsion Bar A round length of high tensile steel that resists twisting or, when it is forced to twist within its stress parameters, will return to its original shape when released.
Coil Spring Coils are just torsion bars wound into a spiral. They twist under a load, forcing coils closer together, then return to original height when released.

Wheelhop The result of the leaf springs on the axle housing twisting into an S-shape, or other axle locators becoming wound up from torque exerted on the pinion shaft.

Under acceleration, torque is transmitted to the pinion gear, which tries to turn the ring gear, axle shafts and tires. Torque always follows the path of least resistance, so when the tires secure a firm bite, the torque load causes the pinion to climb up the ring gear, rotating the entire axle housing upward.

The spring ahead of the housing bows upward. As it arches, it increases its spring rate until it's easier to spin the tires than to turn the housing. The tires break contact.

At the same instant, the spring snaps back to its original shape, and the process starts all over again.

Tramp Like wheelhop except one wheel is up while the other is down.

Could someone explain what a radius arm is? What a wristed arm is? ???

The most common radius arm is found on the coil spring Ford pickups and broncos. A pair of radius arms locate the front axle with the help of a panhard bar. They do somewhat limit possible articulation so the cure is the wristed arm. A radius arm with a pivot added right behind the axle on one side.

There are lots of websites with wristed radius arms on them. Do a google search for "Bronco wristed radius" and you should get some good ones.
The arms under an 80 series and a Rover are radius arms as well as they control radial movement of the axle as well as lateral movement.
I'm hoping someone else wrists one before I go and cut up one of mine. :D

i saw an ad in an australian magazine about someone selling wristed radius arms for the 80's and 100's, can't remember who though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom