Builds Supra88's High Mileage 200 Series Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is a bit curious. The skid looks to be more bombproof than the TC case itself. And likely stronger than the structural components the TC is mounted to. From a systems design perspective, I'd rather the skid be the sacrificial component, deforming and taking some energy out of a hit. Or like your suggesting, mounted to transfer energy to the main structural components rather than to the TC.
I just gave a hard look at the skids available and only found two that attempt to distribute impact away from transfer case. Asfir and budbuilt. Others either ignore (stop at crossmember) or make it no better, like the arb.

I would think that 5-6 M8 bolts would help distribute the load and be pretty strong. But I agree it seems unusual to actually bolt the plate to what you're trying to protect.

I would think that 5-6 M8 bolts would help distribute the load and be pretty strong. But I agree it seems unusual to actually bolt the plate to what you're trying to protect.
The trouble is the casting is not strong for impacts. Those bolts are like 10ft lb torque. It’s a problem with the Oem pipe skid as well. I haven’t done any impact model testing or fea analysis, so no data just looking at it.

The 200 received its 45th oil change today and for the first time it was 0w20 synthetic. 12 years of dealer Dino oil changes 🥴. I power washed and put all of the ARB skid plates back on with the exception of the transmission plate. Transmission filter change and flush coming up this week, just waiting on parts from Mr. T.

Everyone else have a plastic oil filter housing? I was surprised it wasn't metal. My Sienna's is metal. Also the drain plug on the filter housing would not come off. I'm guessing it hasn't been off in a long time with all of the dealer oil changes . I didn't want to damage the housing with too much force so I just left it on for now.

I have a metal housing from a Venza that you can have. Shoot me a pm. I upgraded to a BJowett housing recently.

And you are correct, the stock oil filter housing is plastic.

Today was the day for a transmission filter change and flush. I purchased a new pan gasket, filter, and all the necessary gasket from Toyota. I decided to try the Aisin WS fluid and picked up 16 quarts.
Between draining and dropping the pan I counted about 4.2 quarts which I thought was low.

Couldn't really tell how bad the filter was. It certainly wasn't a caked up mess like my 100 series filter was. I ended up putting in 15.5 quarts and taking out 14.2 quarts, not counting minor spills and residual fluid on bottles/hoses, figuring that it might have been low.

I followed the Toyota procedure for bringing the trans fluid up to temp and was surprised that no fluid came out the level check port. Crap. I added the last 0.5 quart of WS and tried again. Same thing. So I'm thinking the dealer serviced transmissson (drain and fills) weren't done to procedure?

Needless to say I have more Aisin fluid on order. It's gotta be close. I was tempted to throw in some M1 ATF I have on the shelf, but decided against it.

0751A506-27F9-436B-A429-666F6DE0193B.jpeg

BDD0B9B6-1E81-4652-B6A3-D83A4DE436CC.jpeg

Need some input. I have 5 Rock Warrior wheels that I'm planning to replace the 20" Tundra Wheels with. I keep going back and forth between 285/70/17 and 285/75/17s in either BFG A/Ts or Nitto RGs. I'm leaning towards the 285/70/17s. Am going to regret this? Appreciate some feedback!

Need some input. I have 5 Rock Warrior wheels that I'm planning to replace the 20" Tundra Wheels with. I keep going back and forth between 285/70/17 and 285/75/17s in either BFG A/Ts or Nitto RGs. I'm leaning towards the 285/70/17s. Am going to regret this? Appreciate some feedback!
Do you have gears? Are you planning to get gears? 34" is getting into more weight per corner.
285/70/17 is a more common size for sure if you're worried about getting a replacement from a random tire shop . . . but my real opinion is get the size you want.

Width is very close but the 75's are approx 1" taller

I'd go the 285/75 route especially if you're getting BFGs since they tend to run a bit smaller. I went with 285/70 and then ended up lifting a month or so later, and regret not stuffing the 75s in the first place.

I'd go the 285/75 route especially if you're getting BFGs since they tend to run a bit smaller. I went with 285/70 and then ended up lifting a month or so later, and regret not stuffing the 75s in the first place.
Jumping in for the first time guys!

Learning of y'all builds to make my own. Im set on the 285/70/17 Bfgoodrich Km3s, what would be the recommended backspacing? I like that roller skate look, lol.

thanks,

Ed

Learning of y'all builds to make my own. Im set on the 285/70/17 Bfgoodrich Km3s, what would be the recommended backspacing? I like that roller skate look, lol.

thanks,

Ed
50mm to 45mm

Here is a calculator.

thanks,

Ed
What @grinchy said. That goes with Toyota recommendation of RWs which are +50 on 285/70/17

Following your build. Picking up the 08 as well

Last edited:
Per a request for a view of the Tundra 20s from the side.

9667809E-9227-42CE-80DD-FB736D375289.jpeg

0ED19729-5D1F-4AD3-AC26-20A8114607F4.jpeg

Last edited:
What is everyone running for caster and camber for your lifted 200s? I'm putting on the SPC UCAs this week and taking it in for an alignment.

SPC UCAs installed. I set the caster setting at +1 degree and initially put the camber setting in the middle. After using the angle finder on my rotors I slid the ball joint outboard a little more to get the camber angle close to 0 degrees. Once everything was back together it looks like I still have some negative camber. It made me question the orientation of the ball joint. I have the SPC logo facing the tire per the instructions, so it's slide back towards the frame.

Heading to get an alignment tomorrow morning.

* sorry I can't get the pictures to be upright :-(

AF4603E4-004B-44DA-A1DE-202B534FC562.jpeg

3F85FB10-8BD1-4152-A8B5-F40C53DB906A.jpeg

Last edited:
Look up SoCal 57 chevy on the tundra forums. He has the best alignment numbers for lifted tundras. I print up the SPC instructions and make sure the tech gets them, not the manager. Talk to the tech doing the job. If he cant figure out the SPC instructions go somewhere else.

Look up SoCal 57 chevy on the tundra forums. He has the best alignment numbers for lifted tundras. I print up the SPC instructions and make sure the tech gets them, not the manager. Talk to the tech doing the job. If he cant figure out the SPC instructions go somewhere else.
Thanks for the idea, I will check it out. The first alignment place f*&ked it up even though I spoke to the tech on the phone before and several times at the shop. Very frustrating and the reason I do all my own work on my vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom