Sunroof Shattered? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks all! I have an appointment at the Lexus dealer tomorrow. Should I file a claim with insurance first or have the dealer do it? Anyone have experience with USAA? I’m afraid they’re going to want me to go thru their preferred glass company, Safelite.

I have used USAA and gone outside of Safelite.

Thanks all! I have an appointment at the Lexus dealer tomorrow. Should I file a claim with insurance first or have the dealer do it? Anyone have experience with USAA? I’m afraid they’re going to want me to go thru their preferred glass company, Safelite.

I have USAA and called them to file a claim first. They gave me a list of local places to get the initial estimate which included the 3 Toyota dealers in my area. Toyota did the estimate, did the repairs, and billed USAA for any incidentals over the initial estimate (a gasket or some small items).

Update: it took about two week and 6 calls to Safelite and USAA but I was finally able to compel them to cover the claim using my local Lexus dealer. It’s not done, I had to pay out of pocket and still need to submit for reimbursement but at least my LX is fixed.

My insurance covered mine minus the $100 glass deductible. Got it fixed day after by the safelight shop and particular guy the Toyota dealer uses. State farm handled the glass from my local toyota parts guy and sent the glass down the road to safelight. Be prepared if it breaks in the boonies by carrying a solid plastic sheet, for sale sign type, under the cargo matt and gorilla tape.

Reminds me of an early FJ60 a college buddy had back in the mid 1989s. It had a Toyota OEM, manually cranked-to-open metal sunroof. Toyota (and most others I believe) used to use metal instead of glass in their sunroofs. Seems to have changed in the early 1990s. Not sure why they made the change but I for one would love to go back.

Because they get to call it a "moon" roof..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom