Suggestions on where to have A/C compressor rebuilt? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,
Just replaced the original equipment ac compressor on my '95 FZJ, as well as new gaskets on all connections. Big difference. I would like to have the original compressor rebuilt. Any suggestions on shops in the triangle/triad area that do this work? Thanks, Ted

I don't think they can be rebuilt. You can replace the front bearing/clutch assembly, but ive never seen someone diy rebuild the compressor section.

Thanks Johnny - I have been very impressed with the quality of the original equipment parts. I have had the original alternator and starter rebuilt as PM - nothing has failed after 26 years. My sentimental side would like to preserve the original compressor (one of my boys may need to use it 26 years from now!)

I appreciate that, but an ac compressor has many more moving parts. I can't remember, but want to say that the toy AC compressors are swash plate style, and rebuilding them is really not something that's done, not DIY anyway. If the bores of the cylinders are scored then the unit more than likely needs to be replaced.

I guess just start taking it apart to see how bad the damage is.

Last edited:
Nevermind, I guess some people do it. Definitely a swash plate style. TIL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom