Suggestions for easy family run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m in Santa Fe and want to take the family on an off road trail that’s easy but provides some scenic views or has some hikes.

Any suggestions? I’ve seen Elk Mountain as an option and we are familiar with many of the forest roads off the road up to Ski Santa Fe that we drive by every year. We are willing to drive anywhere up north to get in the mountains.

I’m in a 2000 LC with 1.5in lift and 33 BFGs. I’ve done easy to moderate off road in Texas (Big Bend many trips) and areas around central Texas. Not looking for anything difficult but just something to get the family outside and up in the mountains.

Last edited:
I’m in Santa Fe and want to take the family on an off road trail that’s easy but provides some scenic views or has some hikes.

Any suggestions? I’ve seen Elk Mountain as an option and we are familiar with many of the forest roads off the road up to Ski Santa Fe that we drive by every year. We are willing to drive anywhere up north to get in the mountains.

I’m in a 2000 LC with 1.5in lift and 33 BFGs. I’ve done easy to moderate off road in Texas (Big Bend many trips) and areas around central Texas. Not looking for anything difficult but just something to get the family outside and up in the mountains.
I would drive up to the Jemez, along Hwy 4, past the Valles Caldera. Turn onto 126 and head past Fenton Lake. After you've gone about 13 miles along 126 past Fenton Lake, there will be several forest roads that head north off 126. FS 103 is probably the most well traveled and if you keep heading north you will eventually come out on Hwy 96 near Coyote. From there, head east and then back south on 84 to get home to SF. It would be a good idea to get a FS map of the Santa Fe National Forest as well as the Motor Vehicle Use Map for that ranger district too, unless you've got something like OnX to help you.

FS 144 off 126 in the Jemez is a nice mellow dirt road that traverses the backside of the Valle Caldera. You can get to the west entrance of 144 off 126 at mile marker 33 (up the hill past Amanda's Market in La Cueva) . Like FR376, this road is more popular with various spur roads - both traveled and less traveled. All easy with a stock 200.

I also like to take FR 266 after you go through Ponderosa NM (290 turns into FR10, right on FR 266). There is a nice field that is used for fire safety at this location (35.72640, -106.55403). We picnic/camp there often and you can hike around. They are logging along 266 now, so the road from the turn off at 10 has been improved for several miles but then becomes a bit washed out towards the picnic area. It is not very crowded in this area. You might see one other vehicle after the Christian Camp.

I recommend you either download the MVUM for Jemez or stop by the Walatowa Vistor Center and pick up a hard copy map and top off your tank.

Have fun!

I recommend forest road 151 north of Abiquiu. It is a very scenic drive along a river ending at the Christ in the Desert Monestary. You can also stop at Bodes for snacks.

Thanks for the tips and ideas. We went up to Los Alamos and Jemez Falls yesterday and will explore some more later this week.

I appreciate the insight!

PS. I come up here 3-4 times a year(we have a place in SF) and have lurked this board trying to time a visit with a run. One of the times they’ll overlap and I’ll come say hi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom