sucking sound under driver's dash- 1998 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
We just got our 1998 Land Cruiser and sometimes it makes a sucking type noise that comes from the driver's side dash.
Here are the symptoms:
-Usually only when cold
-Makes the noise for between 10 seconds to about a minute
-The truck doesn't have to be on for the noise to be made, but it has to be started for the noise to start
-The noise will momentarily cut out when the brakes are applied, but it will start right back up with the brakes applied or not
-Sound is louder in the cabin than in the engine bay
-Doesn't appear to affect driveability

Any ideas?
Thanks

possibly a hydraulic pump noise? It's most likely the hydraulic brake assist pump. I'm not 100% of the function, I think it fills the accumulator. I know this:

My '99 does it a lot more than my dad's 2006
Mine goes for what seems like an unnecessarily amount of time (about a minute)
Mine goes very frequently.
It is annoying. It is louder than my dad's '06

I did a quick online check for this and it looks like it's about $1300 for the parts.

Does it seem like a danger or more of an annoyance? Like I said before, it only seems to happen when it's cold and the truck's been sitting for a while. It doesn't seem to affect anything once the noise stops.

So you don't hear it near your pocket while pumping gas....:0

I knew someone was going to say something like that. :)
There's just a sucking sound, but no sensation.

I'll have to look around more for a vacuum leak and test the booster more.

Subscribed.

My brake booster pump is also loud, and seems to kick on more often and for longer periods of time than I think is normal.

I have not noticed any leaks of fluid.

Hopefully there is an easier, or at least not so expensive fix.

Sent from my Thunderbonner using IH8MUD

I searched a little bit and to my understanding this pump fills the accumulator. I don't know what the accumulator really does but would like to understand how all this works. This noise is really annoying and only seems to be present on older models. Hopefully one of the more experienced members has some insight here

weird, i have a sucking/squeeking sound coming from my passenger side dash randomly but its very short and always when getting on or off the brakes.

205k miles

My vehicle makes this same noise weekly and is usually associated with the VSV lights coming on (warning sound) then as soon as it arrives it goes away...but is annoying

anybody experiencing this? any remedies?

Mine has done it for 3 years that I have owned it. It is the booster accumulator and no need to worry. You will hear it in different intensitys depending on temperature and how often or hard the brakes are pressed. Turn the radio up you will be fine

Is this vacuum "sucking" type noise in short Bursts instead of a constant noise? Just figuring out if mine is the same thing ( DS coming from steering column but not related to steering input)

'00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom