Successful Head Swap on 1994 KZJ78W (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I was successful in replacing the head on my 1994 KZJ78W with an aftermarket AMC head. She was shooting bubbles into the expansion tank and when you removed the line in the tank, there was white vapor that smelt like diesel. Just wanted to brag and share some pictures ;). Bonus, if anyone needs the contact info of an importer of these AMC heads in the states, shoot me a message.

72893D3C-0A30-437A-9C0D-FF37ABBFF778_1_105_c.jpeg

Getting ready to pull the head with exhaust and intake still attached

F14CFB51-F3CE-4688-AA6E-E7BEED4A4A2E_1_105_c.jpeg

Crack was easily visible coming off this valve on number 3. Also less carbon, indicating coolant getting into the cylinder.

D257EC55-271D-4FCD-A672-5141F2802064_1_105_c.jpeg

Block surface cleaned - taking Piston protrusion measurements to determine which head gasket to get - it was the No.3 (3 hole) gasket.

A1A3DD01-4B3E-4455-B26E-F201D6C4DBE0_1_105_c.jpeg

New AMC head and head bolts, on and torqued. New water pump and pump housing, new glow plugs. New timing belt, timing belt idler and tensioner. Just the intake & exhaust manifolds, radiator/fan, and some electrical plugs remain in this pic. Hopefully she is good for another 100Km.

Video of her back together and running.

1KZ-TE cylinder head crack is very common for EFI engines. same with the 2LT-E .
they always crack although the engine is standard. when it is not EFI the head dont crack.

1KZ-TE cylinder head crack is very common for EFI engines. same with the 2LT-E .
they always crack although the engine is standard. when it is not EFI the head dont crack.

The problem is more related to IDI + turbo = issues. It's pretty consistent across the board. Even 1HZ has issues with turbo added. The reason it seems to happen more on the EFI ones, is they have EGR etc. too which clogs up the motors and make them run even hotter.

The problem is more related to IDI + turbo = issues. It's pretty consistent across the board. Even 1HZ has issues with turbo added. The reason it seems to happen more on the EFI ones, is they have EGR etc. too which clogs up the motors and make them run even hotter.
Fueling is really important . 1hz they always have problems like overheats, crack cylinder head , oiling issues. Turbo or n/a . With turbo 1hz die faster&earlier.

I'm thinking about modifying my rig to have an intercooler. I know I have seen it done before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom