Stuck low range gear.in 100 series. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice Sunday Afternoon left the shifter soak in 50/50 atf and acitone, didn't really do much for me.

went the next step and popped it in a vice and spared Wd40 and tapped away till it came loose took a few good hits bur she's freely spinning now like new.

All greeced up and ready to Go Low.
20220828_130356.jpg

20220828_130423.jpg

Drill access holes to save time and stress, especially if you have a RHD vehicle as it's nearly impossible to get those 2 bolts on the RH side.
Once you have the assembly removed from the TC gently heat to free the shaft from the housing.
Soaking is unlikely to do anything as it's usually too seized in there.
Avoid driving it out with a hammer as you risk cracking the alloy housing.

I'm getting ready to do this job on my frozen shifter. Thanks to all those who have contributed to this thread. I feel like I'm more mentally prepared for this job than any others I've tackled recently.
My question: are there any parts I should order ahead of time? The transfer shift level boots? Washers?
Thanks in advance for any advice that can help me make this a repair that will last a long time.

DONE: Did the job as described in various places in the Forum. Worked great, though it took some time and elbow grease. I also forgot to put on one of the boots, so I need to hold on to that to replace somehow/someday.

Stuck in 4h. With shifter disconnected, case will shift. To remove, from what I am reading, is disconnect shift lever...from shift lever or from transfer case shifter? Remove two accessible bolts from the hole in the floor. Drill holes or lower and support the transfer case to remove other two bolts of the retainer. To remove the shifter assembly, can that be done through the opening in the floor or is it pulled through from underside? Once out, I should lubricate shifter retainer and work it till it frees up. Once moving, should I disassemble the shifter from retainer which would allow to clean up the shift and the holes? I know the gasket is a must replacement, but want to pick up the shift hardware to replace or have on hand.

Thanks in advance

Here are some answers that I found while unfreezing the transfer case shifter. FYI, driving a 2007 100 series, US version. I did drill holes in the center console area to access the two bolts attaching the retainer to the top of the transfer case. I also notched out a bit the circular opening for the transfer lever to get access to the underneath bolt. I attempted to detach the shifter from the transfer case via the opening in the console, just very tight so I dropped the skid plates and that allowed the transfer case/transmission to lower a couple of inches. I wanted to check if I could get the assembly out through the center console, wouldn't fit but with the case lowered, it came out easily on the driver's side of the transmission. Heat worked great. The lever now spins around and around. Greased it up, and put it back in, no problem shifting from high to low. As to cover the drilled out areas, I sprayed some primer around the edges and then just used some epoxy and an old cut up beer can. I am thinking that the truck will be dead before the lever needs to be accessed again...at least by me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom