Stripping old bed liner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I would share as I'm sure there are others in the same boat. I'm working on a 72 FJ40, with a rust spot near the tailgate. It was sprayed with DIY liner 20 years ago and is failing. After some research, I tried Citristrip paint remover, and I am impressed! Not only did it work amazingly well, but there are also no toxic fumes to deal with. I will reiterate it is very important to cover the working area with plastic while it works, we had a storm blow through and blew the plastic off one corner and it did not work nearly as well. Not a big deal, as you just reapply and cover it for another 24hrs.
Happy wheeling!

20230605_180643.jpg

20230606_151457.jpg

20230606_152321.jpg

I know you said DIY, so the citrastrip likely isn't going to work on something like Line-X or Rhino, but I'm still amazed by the results. Most of what I've seen is that you're SOL if you want to remove any of that stuff.

I know you said DIY, so the citrastrip likely isn't going to work on something like Line-X or Rhino, but I'm still amazed by the results. Most of what I've seen is that you're SOL if you want to remove any of that stuff.

A stripping company I use will bake it off in a large oven. It can distort larger parts though. I'd be tempted to try a weed burner and scraper to remove most of it.

Once you spray the higher end bedliners it's got a window of time where it's nice then it becomes a liability. It might be nice for 20 years or 5 years, but eventually it breaks down and starts to fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom