Strict Emissions in Denver Solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glad you passed smog. It can be a real pain and I know here in CA.

E85 is basically a solvent, even more so than gasoline. As such, it will eat through gaskets, and anything rubber or polymer based over time. I would say years rather than weeks or months. Since E85 has Oxygen in its chemical formula, it has a much lower capacity to "oxidize" or burn than that of gasoline. So, many report lower MPG and efficiency from E85 over gasoline which makes sense. Also, strickly based upon incomplete combustion of gasoline to CO and Water, a mole of ethanol will produce 2mole of CO, whereas a mole of gasoline (C8H18) will produce 8 mole of CO. So, it would make sense that the Carbon Monoxide emissions goes down. Finally E85 has a tendency to separate and attract water. So, if your LC is a weekend warrior and you use E85, then it will have a tendency to gum up your fuel lines and gas tank. Hope that helps.

Based upon my experience, I do think a cat can bring those numbers down. When I tried to smog mine, I tested everything per the FSM (80% of which failed). After fixing all that and spending hundreds, not to mention my time, my numbers barely budged. So I replaced the cat and my numbers went down to nothing, just like yours.

Yep. Replacing that cat can bring the numbers down dramatically.

If you add two gallons of denatured alcohol to an 1/8 of a tank of regular old gas you will pass the sniffer with a fully desmogged truck. After you pass, fill tank with gas immediately as the alcohol will evaporate all the fuel from your carb if you let it sit and it will vapor lock on you.

So, do u have an address for this place?

Yes

1317 Federal Blvd
Denver, CO 80204-2210
Phone: (303) 573-5290

There is only one guy that works to get the vehicles through emissions. His Name is JR. He works out of the "Super Tire" shop there. If you get off on exit 210 off of I25 and go south on Federal you will see the shop on the right hand side at 1317. I missed it the first time. If you need anymore info just let me know...I'd be glad to help.

Thx g;

Need to see if I get my FJ40 to pass. It didn't pass in 1980 when brand new.

And yes, I have the "pink & yellow skirt" - Slee does all my work. ha!

Thx g;

Need to see if I get my FJ40 to pass. It didn't pass in 1980 when brand new.

And yes, I have the "pink & yellow skirt" - Slee does all my work. ha!

No problem.

LOL...if i had the funds...id probably have Slee do some of my work too. But apartment living and school=no money..no where to work on my truck and no time. Which adds up to the fact that my wish list it huge and growing by the day...

Tell me about classic tags

J
Now I can get Classic tags and never have to mess with emissions ever again. :flipoff2: the man.

I bought an 84 60 this year- {Clifford.} the truck is actually in great mechanical shape. Failed the first emissions- but the PO did some adjustments and got it to pass the 2nd time round.

So I have about a year and a half before I have to do that again. You mentioned getting classic tags, how do I do that? I'd love to never have to deal with emissions again.

I live near Golden.

I bought an 84 60 this year- {Clifford.} the truck is actually in great mechanical shape. Failed the first emissions- but the PO did some adjustments and got it to pass the 2nd time round.

So I have about a year and a half before I have to do that again. You mentioned getting classic tags, how do I do that? I'd love to never have to deal with emissions again.

I live near Golden.

congrats on the purchase...they are awesome trucks:cheers:.

From what I understand in order to get classic tags, the truck has to be at least 25 years old and under 16000lbs. Once you get them, they are good for 5 years. I just called the Adams County DMV last week and was told that I would have to pay the fee for five years..which came out to something like 200+. They also said..I would never have to take another emissions test ever as long as I kept the truck registered to me.

I think I'm going to frame my emissions pass notification paper since it took me all of seven tries...:lol:

You plan on keeping your FJ?

congrats on the purchase...they are awesome trucks:cheers:...

You plan on keeping your FJ?

Yeah- this is my second truck. I had an 83 when I lived in summit county. Got stupid, had a crappy mechanic put a 350 in it- which ended up blowing up on Vail Pass a few weeks after I got it back- Never was the same after that. Ended up taking a huge loss and an even bigger lesson about checking your mechanic out. Now if there is something I am not comfortable doing, I take it to Ron at Rocky Mountain Cruisers- awesome guy who does great work.

Clifford is my second 60, and I plan on handing him down to my kid (who hasn't even been conceived yet.)

I expect that over the years I may acquire more 60's, heck maybe even a 40. But I don't ever want to get rid of this truck.

Sorry to hear about that loss, but good you were able to come across another one in decent condition.......this is my first one..and now I understand why some get these trucks and keep them. I will never part w/my 60. It's got a fair amount of rust on the rear quarter panels but the engine is very strong and the frame is rust free. When I get some cash saved up...I plan on taking my 60 over to RMC to get the panels replaced and maybe a rebuild on the carb.

Do they do tune up work also or just restorations.

Ron can and will do pretty much anything on these trucks, or knows the perfect person to do what he can't. He is partial to 40's, but still shows great care for the big pigs. A little while back he was talking about closing up shop in town one of these days and only doing work from his home up in Evergreen. He said he'd still take care of all of his customers. Might be worth swinging by and introducing yourself and your truck.

He'll look it over for free and let you know what to pay attention to.

I like your pending legislation...

ok i'm going to give up a secret.......here in PA if you don't drive more than 5000 miles. your emission exempt.........so who drives a 60 less than 5000 miles being a dd...now that is said........go and find another instrument cluster for your 60 now that it is inspected put about 2500 miles on the od replace with spare cluster rack'm up miles that is ..... when it's getting close to inspection swap them again ...................what are we talking about 4-6 screws 3 plugs and a speedo cable ...... your under 5000 exempt again ....................................... cando john .........4yrs now .........

Ron can and will do pretty much anything on these trucks, or knows the perfect person to do what he can't. He is partial to 40's, but still shows great care for the big pigs. A little while back he was talking about closing up shop in town one of these days and only doing work from his home up in Evergreen. He said he'd still take care of all of his customers. Might be worth swinging by and introducing yourself and your truck.

He'll look it over for free and let you know what to pay attention to.

I like your pending legislation...

Yeah man..that legislation was overturned by the (Don't want to get your hands dirty club for men) last year. I need to change the pending part. :)

Thanks for the info....wasn't sure what they did on cruisers other than restorations..but I'll definately swing by there. I'm down in Golden all the time..me and the wife ride bikes down there as much as we can. If you ever need any help with anything..send me a PM.

I always had a battle getting my 60 to pass here in Larimer County. One year I had a shady shop known to pass everything do it and then I registered it in Weld Cty the following years (long story, but it was legal) until they did away with it here. I dread testing coming back, but it will.

Yeah man..that legislation was overturned by the (Don't want to get your hands dirty club for men) last year. I need to change the pending part. :)

Thanks for the info....wasn't sure what they did on cruisers other than restorations..but I'll definately swing by there. I'm down in Golden all the time..me and the wife ride bikes down there as much as we can. If you ever need any help with anything..send me a PM.

Mountain biking or road? Both are awesome around here. Yeah, I am still a newbie and working on my truck, so the next time something daunting comes up, I'll definitely PM you. Thanks!~

Mountain biking or road? Both are awesome around here. Yeah, I am still a newbie and working on my truck, so the next time something daunting comes up, I'll definitely PM you. Thanks!~

We do both....we mountain bike a place off of 470 Green Mountain mostly and every now and then ride Look out mountain road down by the college. But I just got a single speed and riding up that mountain in one gear while my wife is on her 27 gear road bike is not fun...at least for me:crybaby:

If you add two gallons of denatured alcohol to an 1/8 of a tank of regular old gas you will pass the sniffer with a fully desmogged truck. After you pass, fill tank with gas immediately as the alcohol will evaporate all the fuel from your carb if you let it sit and it will vapor lock on you.

Is there any truth to this? have you tried it before or have you just HEARD this?

I've been looking for something in the Internet regarding the "1 time pass emmissions" rule for cars getting Collector Plates, but I can't seem to find it.

:hmm:

I am getting closer to getting Plates, and my 60 finally Qualifies for collector plates this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom