stretching the 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well after the install of a sm465/toybox/splitcase i need more drive shaft. after much deliberation i decided to cut and stretch the frame and body by 8". here are some starting pics.

l plan to cut just forward of the tubular cross member . I will do a step cut by 4" which will give me a total of 22" of weld surface combined with the 16" of fish plate. should be strong enough to survive the abuse of the rock world.

i searched this before and i found nothing. so i hope i am the first to do this. I seriously doubt this.

forgot to flip the pics . sorry
cruiserstretch.jpg
cruiserstretch1.jpg

WOW!
Why did you decide to stretch the frame vs. mess with the spring location.... out of curiosity?
I was having this SAME dilema and still COULD potentially as my drive train is longer than yours even.
However, With flipping the 60 series springs, and moving the hangers I THINK I should be able to get an 18-20 DS in there.

Anyway...seems that youre committed now, so....CANT WAIT to see what you come up with. This will definitely give you more room!

my fuel cell hangs between the frame rails in the rear and is not so even with the bottom of the frame. I am trying to stay low pro and i have 2" till the axle hits the tank if i move the axle back. besides i am really happy with the performance of my spring over and i don't want to change that geometry any. lots of time involved getting the spring rate correct.
cruiserfueltank.jpg

It's nice to see you got alot done over the weekend. It's goning to be sweet looking when you get her done. If you don't mine what is yor fuel tank out of? what year and make?

:cheers:
Joe

It's nice to see you got alot done over the weekend. It's goning to be sweet looking when you get her done. If you don't mine what is yor fuel tank out of? what year and make?

:cheers:
Joe

geo tracker un known year. moded the fuel pump holder to accept a stock 350 TBI pump. perfect fit between the frame rails. little deep so i held it up 4" in to the cargo area. and built a new floor over it.

Dude-you just super complicated/simplified my build!

I wanted to do a doubler and heavier domestic boxes either side. With a frame-tub stretch I can do a Nv4500/doubler/205 and still have a driveshaft with a 14b.
I stretched 8" total. Sm465, toybox,splitcase and have 32" of shaft with a double carden upfront. Never had any issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom