Strange running/starting issues and P0770 code, oil light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright guys I'm taking her into the shop I just can't get this sorted out but i would like to get perhaps some thoughts as to what I'm dealing with. I thought I had her fixed with blocking off the EGR but I guess not.

Very randomly I would have an issue where I had to crank her for a long time to get her to turn over and when she did the rpm's would just die out and she would stall again. Normally once I gave her gas for a little and got her rolling all was well but lately that has changed. It has been happening more often where I'm cranking her for a very long time until she turns over and now getting her rolling doesnt fix it, it still happens while driving. I'll be pressing the gas and the rpm's don't go up then all of a sudden they will kick in...sometimes not and she dies.

This is also sometimes accompanied with a screeching sound after starting up and the oil light coming on. This goes away after a couple seconds.

Last night I also finally got a CEL and it was P0770 which apparently is a transmission solenoid issue. Perhaps even unrelated and just random, no idea.

Anyone have any guesses?

Last edited:
First, a fuel injected engine doesn't respond to throttle input when starting. The fuel pump supplies a set pressure to the fuel rail, which divides the fuel to the injectors, which supply fuel to the combustion chambers, as set by the ECU. Pumping the gas pedal does nothing.

Second, rising RPM without throttle input is more likely a transmission fault than not. I'd look there first for your problem.

Lastly, check your belts. I'd bet the are dry rotted.

FWIW, the oil light comes on because the oil in the pan is low.

First, a fuel injected engine doesn't respond to throttle input when starting. The fuel pump supplies a set pressure to the fuel rail, which divides the fuel to the injectors, which supply fuel to the combustion chambers, as set by the ECU. Pumping the gas pedal does nothing.

Second, rising RPM without throttle input is more likely a transmission fault than not. I'd look there first for your problem.

Lastly, check your belts. I'd bet the are dry rotted.

FWIW, the oil light comes on because the oil in the pan is low.

Thanks but I wasn't giving it pedal when cranking I know there is no point in that, i was giving it gas after it turned over to keep it from stalling out. Im actually having the opposite issue, rpm's are going down even while on the throttle.

Belts were all changed a year or so ago but i will check them regardless thank you.

Sorry, I must have misread your post. So, if you're losing engine speed while increasing fuel, it's being starved for air (the A/F ratio is too rich). I'd look through the engine troubleshooting matrix, especially the areas focused on the throttle position sensor. Also, check your O2 sensors.

Alright so I took her in the shop and of course they couldn't reproduce it and couldn't find anything which would lead to the issue. They said there is no point in a smoke test because there is no CEL and there is nothing obvious they are seeing that would potentially cause this issue. They found some other crap but that's for another thread.

They said she runs great and is probably the cleanest 80 they've ever seen.....great but that doesn't fix the problem!

I asked them to clean the intake manifold and I guess I'll go pick her up when they're done, I know that's just throwing darts but from researching it could possible be the cause. I guess they will let me know if it's bad in there or not.

Anyone have any other ideas? Again....no CEL.

Updating here for the next guy, I had my intake manifold cleaned out and the problem has not returned at all she's actually driving smoother than ever! They said it was pretty gunked up in there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom