Strange noise from behind dash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As I was driving today I heard this weird sound from behind the dash. It happened a couple of times. It sounds like a high pitched "weeeee" noise. It just lasted for a couple of seconds and then disappeared. I didn't notice anything different happen to the Land Cruiser while I heard this sound.
Anyone have any idea what this sound cold be.
p.s. I don't think there's a ghost behind my dash either.....

" It sounds like a high pitched "weeeee" noise."

Your cruiser was just happy to be on the road.:)

...air conditioning leak??

As I was driving today I heard this weird sound from behind the dash. It happened a couple of times. It sounds like a high pitched "weeeee" noise. It just lasted for a couple of seconds and then disappeared. I didn't notice anything different happen to the Land Cruiser while I heard this sound.

did it happen to be raining? my windshield wiper controler makes that noise from time to time.

No. It was sunny and fairly warm today.
The sound sounded like it came from the area just behind where the heater/ventilation controls are.
I was wondering if it could have something to do with a vaccuum leak? Take a look at my thread titled "vaccuum question".

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/217298-vaccuum-question.html

maybe the bearing on the vac. pump is telling you its dry. explains the noise and the vac. problem especially if the internals are on the way out

I just had my alternator and vaccuum pump removed from the engine last week when I replaced the alternator brushes. The pump seemed fine at the time. But also the noise sounded like it came from inside.....(??) I'm puzzled.

maybe the bearing on the vac. pump is telling you its dry. explains the noise and the vac. problem especially if the internals are on the way out

Was the fan running?
if so, it may well be a piece of paper/leaf/garbage that somehow made it into the ventilation system and is acting like a whistle. I had something of that sort happen in my old 60 a number of times...

can you define the WEEEEEEEEE a little better. is it more of a hiss, a squeel,etc.

The sound is like a squeel.
I think I found out what's causing the noise. It's when I step on the clutch pedal it seems the vacuum is leaking out from the reservoir(??)
Any suggestions or ideas where to look now?

The clutch reservor or the break reservoir???

test it out! I bet its the winsheild wiper delay...

mine does it when I turn on the wipers but also even when I dont.

I have a diesel so there's a common reservoir for both the brakes and the clutch. The noise only appears when the clutch is depressed and not the brakes.

It's not my wiper delay. My wipers haven't been on for a couple of weeks. And besides, my intermittant wipers don't work.....

test it out! I bet its the winsheild wiper delay...

mine does it when I turn on the wipers but also even when I dont.

I have a diesel so there's a common reservoir for both the brakes and the clutch. The noise only appears when the clutch is depressed and not the brakes.

i would be focussing on the clutch side of the system. not sure how it works but something has to actuate ie use vacuum to help engauge the clutch. things to check /replace, the vac. lines to and from and then the fittings on the tank if they thread in take them out and reseal with teflon tape. if they are press in or part of the system a little silicone adhesive will work wonders. something is bleeding off when the canister sees a demand.

Throwout bearing going out?

pull the vacum lines off the resorvoir when the truck is at idle . check the resorvour with a vacum gauge for leaks. if not replace the lines coming from your pump. i had some issues with mine on a 3B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom