Strange "clunk" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
kartchcustoms.com
Here's the details. I have a rebuilt tranny, tcase, made sure all the mounting to engine and drivetrain are tight.

When I first let the clutch out about a half second later when I apply power I feel a slight clunk that I can feel in the shifter. It's not immediate and I can feel it in all gears although it's noticably less "harsh" in upper gears. It seems to drive just fine and I don't feel anything other than that.

I first thought it might be the ujoints but that woudn't make sense with the delay and the feel in the shifter would it??

Any suggestions or ideas on what this might be?

Thanks in advance.

Howdy! I have seen this before. It was a loose pinion nut on the rear diff. Drop the rear driveshaft flange and rotate it the flange on the diff. There should be a little play, but if it makes a 1/4 turn, it needs work. Also, lift it up and down. There should be nearly no movement this way. John

Pighead agrees with inkpot.

'74 agrees with Hobbs and Pighead and Inkpot.

He also has seen spider gears torn up that caused this issue.

(this thread would be hilarious if it turns out to be a bad U-joint, or driveshaft bolts coming loose)

(this thread would be hilarious if it turns out to be a bad U-joint, or driveshaft bolts coming loose)

Splitshot agrees with Pighead ;)

Hi All:

Sorry, but "Josie" disagrees! ;)

From the description given I have to wonder if something is up with the transmission and/or clutch? I mean, if the "clunk" can be felt through the transmission shifter one would think that it is localized to the transmission.

Regards,

Alan

--------------------------------------------------------------------
<snip>

". . . when I apply power I feel a slight clunk that I can feel in the shifter. It's not immediate and I can feel it in all gears although it's noticably less "harsh" in upper gears."

Assuming it's the pinion nut, what is involved in fixing the problem? Just tighten the bugger up or something else? It this something where stuff needs replacing?

Last edited:
Zekester agrees with Poser, whenever he gets around to posting here...

Hi All:

Sorry, but "Josie" disagrees! ;)

From the description given I have to wonder if something is up with the transmission and/or clutch? I mean, if the "clunk" can be felt through the transmission shifter one would think that it is localized to the transmission.

Regards,

Alan

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The shifter is connected to the pinion through a train a metal...

Well the majority won this one out. My pinion nut was indeed loose. Tightened her up and the clunk is gone!. So, if you have a clunk that happens a split second after you let the clutch out, and is softer in the upper gears, and you can feel in the shifter, you probably have a loose pinion nut. Drop the rear driveshaft and tighten that puppy up.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom