Strange clunk and window movement in both front LX470 power windows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
Any idea what would be causing this? Is it normal? BOTH of my front windows in my '06 LX do the exact same thing...the window moves out from the channel and then clunks back into place when starting to close from the fully open position. Sometimes it causes the Auto up feature on the front driver side window to reverse back (like it is meeting resistance). The windows otherwise travel smoothly with no noticeable resistance, and yes I have lubricated the tracks quite a lot. I filmed it in slow-motion so you can really see what's going on (that's why the window suddenly starts moving really fast at the very end).

Hmm shoot, mines been doing that for a few years now as well. Just waiting for something to break. Not sure what causes it, probably something behind the door panel involving the tracks / mounts of the window.

Seems like something is loose id open her up and inspect the regulator and arm. While there also grease it up,

The glass in a window regulator has some "float" designed into it, and the system is engineered to balance the lifting point to the glass center-of-gravity & sliding resistance of the glass runs (rubber in glass frames). The fore-aft tilt of the glass when lifting indicates there's too much friction in the lower portion of the front glass run, maybe due to some debris or pinching. I'd check that first. And clean out the glass runs and spray lightly with some silicone spray (not WD40) and allow to dry.

While you're in there, tighten all the window regulator bolts that attach it to the door inner panel. Any looseness will allow the regulator to rotate, which can also tilt the glass. And clean out the horizontal channel that the glass attaches to - there will be dried white/yellow grease in there that is gumming up the regulator arm sliders - and add a light coat of fresh MP grease.

Last edited:
The glass in a window regulator has some "float" designed into it, and the system is engineered to balance the lifting point to the glass center-of-gravity & sliding resistance of the glass runs (rubber in glass frames). The fore-aft tilt of the glass when lifting indicates there's too much friction in the lower portion of the front glass run, maybe due to some debris or pinching. I'd check that first. And clean out the glass runs and spray lightly with some silicone spray (not WD40) and allow to dry.

While you're in there, tighten all the window regulator bolts that attach it to the door inner panel. Any looseness will allow the regulator to rotate, which can also tilt the glass. And clean out the horizontal channel that the glass attaches to - there will be dried white/yellow grease in there that is gumming up the regulator arm sliders - and add a light coat of fresh lithium grease.
Good tips. I will see if I can figure out the issue and if I do, I will report back. It is strange that both windows do the exact same thing. I wondered if it was a normal part of the design because they are so similar.

I think there are a few bolts with slots for adjustment forward and aft. They become loose over time and the windows have some movement. I did tighten them up on my 02LX, but my windows are little loose on the 06LX now. It requires removing the door panels and the vapor barrier, then 10mm socket to adjust and lock in place.

I think there are a few bolts with slots for adjustment forward and aft. They become loose over time and the windows have some movement. I did tighten them up on my 02LX, but my windows are little loose on the 06LX now. It requires removing the door panels and the vapor barrier, then 10mm socket to adjust and lock in place.
The slotted holes are for dimensional tolerance. The datum holes are round, and depending on the bolt assembly order the rest of the holes are slotted in the direction of tolerance stackup. Normally you or I would just install bolts fingertight during installation to allow part movement for the rest of the bolts, then go back and snug all the bolts. But during assembly it's a race against time and every bolt is shot just once, so the design and process are engineered to ensure bolt holes will line up if the installation process is followed.

The slotted holes are for dimensional tolerance. The datum holes are round, and depending on the bolt assembly order the rest of the holes are slotted in the direction of tolerance stackup. Normally you or I would just install bolts fingertight during installation to allow part movement for the rest of the bolts, then go back and snug all the bolts. But during assembly it's a race against time and every bolt is shot just once, so the design and process are engineered to ensure bolt holes will line up if the installation process is followed.
I had a similar problem on the driver's door. If you remove the door panel you will probably see that the window spring has come out of the hole in the door that it's supposed to fit into. Hard to explain but it should be clear once you look at it. Don't know why it happens and it bugged me for years until I looked at it.
Ned

Just to update this thread: the problem ended up being the new speakers I installed in the front doors. They were a touch deeper and so the windows contact the back of the speaker when they roll all the way to the bottom. I had to shim the speakers out a bit and now all is well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom