Strange 6th body mount?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was hoping some of us, especially those with a 90 series or 3rd gen 4runner, could put our heads together on an issue I have. I’ve been experiencing a loud clunk when going over sudden bumps (kinda like pot holes) coming from the rear end. It sounds as if the door is lifting up and coming down. I’ve addressed the door and can’t seem to find issues there. I’ve also just put the car up on a lift yesterday and checked all suspension parts and bushings and really can’t find any play, checked shock mounts and all seems happy. The shocks and springs are not old either, Old Man Emu about 3 years old and feel solid.

I’ve come to discover this bushing that sits between the body and frame (pictures attached). It seems to be like a body mount, but all videos I find on body mounts seem to only address the 5 major ones, and never mention this one. I’ve even looked at a lot of 3rd gen 4Runner content, as it shares the same chassis and never do I see a mention of this bushing. Yet, it has a part number and can be purchased from Toyota. I think we can agree that mine looks a little suspect, since it looks like someone has previously wedged some rubber there. There was definetly movement there when the frame was flexing while on the lift, so it’s very likely the sound is coming from that contact between body and frame. But what is a mystery to me, is how it’s meant to look there and how it’s attached??

If anyone can weigh in on this mysterious bushing or even add a picture of their rear wheel well to compare how yours looks, that would be very useful, thanks!

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

Hello

Im probably not going to be of too much help but I have had a look at both my 90's and they are both the same as the pictures below (Excuse the mud!). By the looks of things, they have the cylindrical mount which is 52216A circled on your diagram. Looks like whatever is on yours is a bodge job.

Couple of things worth noting though. Firstly the cylindrical part moves slightly on both cars, perhaps they are old, worn out and have play. Either way they are not under load at rest. Secondly there are no bolts or anything in the chassis rail under this mount so it must bolt from the top. (If it does, might just be a bump stop although including a bump stop for the body would be pretty scary :cautious:).

Hope this is of some use!

Picture 1.PNG
Picture 2.PNG

Ben.

Hello

Im probably not going to be of too much help but I have had a look at both my 90's and they are both the same as the pictures below (Excuse the mud!). By the looks of things, they have the cylindrical mount which is 52216A circled on your diagram. Looks like whatever is on yours is a bodge job.

Couple of things worth noting though. Firstly the cylindrical part moves slightly on both cars, perhaps they are old, worn out and have play. Either way they are not under load at rest. Secondly there are no bolts or anything in the chassis rail under this mount so it must bolt from the top. (If it does, might just be a bump stop although including a bump stop for the body would be pretty scary :cautious:).

Hope this is of some use!

View attachment 2512668View attachment 2512669

Ben.

Thanks so much for doing that.

After a bit of research, and your pictures, its safe to say its not a mount at all. the parts list refers to it as a stopper.. SO, my theory right now as to the cause of the loud thud im hearing could be worn rear mounts maybe have enough play to allow the body to lift and possibly make contact at that stopper, causing the noise. it would def explain why the previous owner put some rubber there under the stopper? maybe it worked for a while but I guess rubber doesnt last forever, either way I dont see it on other vehicles.

I guess the next move is to determine if that is definitely where the sound is coming from and take action from there.

No worries at all. Yes that makes sense. You might be able to get someone bouncing on the rear tailgate and pushing it up to see if you can see any noticeable flex or fouling through the body. Long shot but not to hard to do. Happy to compare it to one of mine. Worth noting too that the body lift kits only come with 10 spacers, just to further eliminate the mount idea.

You mentioned you had gone through all the suspension components, could also check things like fuel tank, brake callipers and exhaust for any movement just to be sure before you go at the body mounts. I can imagine that replacing the body mounts will be a pain.

Let us know how you get on, good luck!

Ben.

**UPDATE**

Im starting to get desperate, haha. I had some time today but didnt have access to a workshop so just got my friend to drive while I sit in the back and listen. The thud is very severe, sounds like someone dropping a brick from the roof of the car onto the floor of the boot.

I did something quite random, but to try eliminate the body mount theory.. i put a small bottle jack on my back left tire and jacked up the body under the wheel well.. i only did this a few mm as to not accidentally damage the body.. the whole car and frame started to lift. so in other words the body didnt separate from the frame.. which kinda debunks my theory.

anyways.. starting to think its the door again, even tho ive lined the door catch with rubber and insulation tape, so doesnt seem to be any play there at all, even when i lift the rear door from the ladder thats mounted to the door. it may be my mind, but it feels like its coming from the back left, where the tools and jack live, but ive removed those and nothing has changed. i have full days at work for the rest of the week but my next available chance I will take the spare wheel off and see if that makes a difference. otherwise im stumped.. when i had her on a lift I yanked at everything and just couldnt find play in any bushing or mounts.

A little late to the party here, but I seem to have the exact same sound with my '01 4Runner. I started hearing an odd clunk in the rear while working my way down a trail a few years ago. Each time I've taken the same trail, I notice the clunking (and it seems to be on the left side).
Lately the sound has started appearing when going over frost heaves, or other road irregularities. The same sound was there with my old suspension as well as with my new Dobinsons IMS setup.

I've owned the truck since new and it now has 504,000 miles on the clock. Maybe it's time to round up the correct part numbers and order all new body mounts from Toyota...

Andreas

A little late to the party here, but I seem to have the exact same sound with my '01 4Runner. I started hearing an odd clunk in the rear while working my way down a trail a few years ago. Each time I've taken the same trail, I notice the clunking (and it seems to be on the left side)... Maybe it's time to round up the correct part numbers and order all new body mounts from Toyota...
Andreas
Hi Andreas
Did you ever manage to eliminate this issue? I have the same problem with my 1996 Toyota Prado, a loud thump from what appears to be the left hand rear of the vehicle. I suspect that it is the very rear body mounts. Did you change yours, and if so, did the sound go?

Cheers,
Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom