Stock carb or not (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I have a 81 FJ40 with 93k miles that has all the original equipment in its original shape. I would like to replace the carb and add some headers. My 40 runs good even though it has some of the same hard restart problems and exhaust leak that some have in this forum. I would like some opinions on carb and header replacement. Whats the pros and cons. I am thankful for whatever advice you can give. :D

I would have your stock carb rebuilt, 9 out of 10 Cruiserhead agree :D I just had mine done on my fj60 and it made a HUGE improvment, more power, better running, better mpg, everything is better. Before the rebuild it didn't run bad, not bad enough that you knew you had a problem. I had it rebuilt to stock specs, some guys can do stuff to get better power....prolly at the cost of mpg. On my 82 40's the carbs I'm sure can use or benifit from a rebuild(and I will do so) but I sure don't think they lack power by any means. I would rebuild stock and fix the exhousts leaks and I bet you will be happily suprised by the difference.

Header, I dunno I don't run one and have no desire too.

John H

how hard is a carb rebuild?

Just had mine done last month on my 3F.As Landpimp says its so smooth and responsive its like a new car.The secondary vacuum was gone but I also had the surfaces machined and checked for true and gas tested and a kit put in it for less than half the cost of new one and a lot less headaches than getting an aftermarket one running right (if its possible).

(Homer Simpson voice) MUST STAY STOCK! it really is the best way to go for 90% of us. There is somthing to be said for headers but to remove a good intake exhaust for headers is false economy.

Jim C does rebuilds fj40jim @aol.com
Rich (kruzertek on PBB) does good rebuilds
John H has another contact on PBB I cant remember

Ditto on the carb rebuild. If you are having a leak at the manifold gasket, you need to fix the gasket. It will probably be the same issue with new headers. Headers improve exhaust flow and may give you a little more power and better gas milage. Your choices may be limited because of emission standards depending on what your state laws are. But they may limit you elsewhere: it is hard to find headers to fit with a PTO winch if you have one, and you may have to replace your brake lines with steel (I don't know about '82 setups). They heat up your engine compartment more, and you lose your heatriser, which is (somewhat) important in a cold climate.

What they said! In addition, while headers tend to let the engine breath a little better, many folks also add that really COOL looking new air filter that sits on top of the carb and sucks in HOT air. The net result is a loss of performance. Rebuild the carb and if you really think you want a header be sure the engine is getting cold air into the intake.

Aftermarket headers are notorious for leaks. I would only consider an aftermarket header as a cost-effecient replacement, not an upgrade. Exhaust leaks are a beeatch and you are more likely to have them with headers than with the original. Do what everyone else said about the rebuild.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=6372;start=msg52017#msg52017 date=1066409428]
beeatch
[/quote]
Gee cruisin, can't tell you're from the Beavis and Butthead generation. :slap:

[quote author=hammerhead link=board=1;threadid=6372;start=msg52234#msg52234 date=1066455408]
Gee cruisin, can't tell you're from the Beavis and Butthead generation. :slap:
[/quote]
Never watched a minute of Beavis and Butthead in my life. :flipoff2:

what is the average cost of a carb rebuild at a shop?

im not to sure about the cost of one but I think it would be worth it. I have a weber and headers and I would rather have a stock set up. My cruiser came with headers and so I kept them but I cant get them to stop leaking. Leaks can cause big time changes. with the headers I have (I think the ones from man a fre) there is a space for the bolts. the thing is the intake manifold doesn't. this means that the bolt will tighten on the intake but not the header. Im not sure what other people do to fix this but I used half washers and that just isnt a good fix. Another problem with a weber set up is that the air filter can allow more dust to get through. Water becomes easier to. The only thing I like about webers it that it gives more space under the hood. Stay stock.

[quote author=4doorFJ link=board=1;threadid=6372;start=msg52709#msg52709 date=1066621832]
what is the average cost of a carb rebuild at a shop?
[/quote]

$150-300

Everyone I called on advised on staying with the stock carb. I've had mine rebuilt at the cost of about $200... Excellent idea.

I have the same situation with the Man-A-Fre headers as Ethan mentioned earlier in this thread. Half washers and two manifold gaskets to hopefully seal off the leaks. Loads of effort to get everything to stay correct.. We also had to do some clever construction to keep the headers from touching the power steering tube.. You can tell the difference and I enjoy the growl but, dollar per horse... at this point, don't know if I would do it again.

This is my first time on the Mud forum and I have to say it is pretty nice.

I am Kruzrtek, and I do rebuild carbs. I highly recommend staying with the stock Aisin. I have found this carb to be the best performing carb out there for any Cruiser.
My rebuilds are averaging 15-17MPG in town and 17-21 on highway. This depends, of course, on how heavy your foot is and what the weight of the vehicle is, etc.
But it is always increased. Performance is much better off road, as well.
A Cruiser at about 45 degrees or so, will start to have some runability problems.
I have most of the ones I build for Off-road only use, doing 60 degrees or better.
Most of the guys were going to do TBI but changed their mind.
You can make the factory carb do wonderful things. You just have to know it inside and out. Like an x-ray machine.

If I can answer any questions about anything, please let me know.
I am glad to help.

Rich
Kruzrtek
kruzrtk@xmission.com

P.S. Hope it is OK if I hang around for a while. This is a very nice forum.

Hey, Rich,

You HAVE been here before (that's your 14th post, and your profile says you registered in March). I had wondered what happened to you (get lost on Pirate?). Welcome back: we look forward to your insights!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom