Stock '64 Wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.outerlimitsupply.com
I hate to say it but I upgraded my brake system on my '64 FJ40 to '76 axles with disc brakes. She's going to be a daily driver and my 9 month old daughter will be riding shot gun. Momma experienced an "out of adjustment" drum and suspended all father/daughter cruising until brakes were modernized.:confused: Unfortunately my stock steelies w/ hub caps will not fit- stinking calipers!!! At any rate, wanted to see what 5 of these wheel are really worth, any idea? I'll post close up pictures tomorrow but in the mean time check out: https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/366324-another-fj-saved.html

Thanks,
Travis

I can understand the upgrade if you will DD...not a bad decision!

As for prices, I paid an average of $10 per used cap, and I think $20 for a nice and clean original rim. Some of my caps need a little work, a few need a lot, but most are salvageable!

Edit: a picture of some caps.
101_1149 LR.JPG

Last edited:
I read a lot in mud * about upgrading the brake system...
... but never read a test between a stock "drum braked Cruiser" and
a "disc braked Cruiser" ( don`t think the discs are much better)
I drove my 43 more than 25 years with drum brakes as a DD and never had problems with this configuration ...
that`s all I have to say.
Cheers
Peter

* it`s an upgrading forum ;)

forgotten....
...drum brakes have a major disadvantage after water crossing, but`s not a real problem when you know that.
Put your right foot on the gas pedal and your left foot on the brake pedal and drive until the drums are dry ... that´s all ;)
Cheers
Peter

Last edited:
Hub caps are not a issue. Both type of caps will fit both style of wheels. Easy way to tell the difference between the two types of wheel is the earlier drum brake wheels were rivited while the later style is welded. Like fox said adjustment is the main problem with the early drum brakes. But I wouldn't fault anyone for updating to the later dual circuit brake system.

Tough decision

Change wasn't an easy decision I can tell you that!!! I struggled with it for weeks and even considered putting her in storage until my daughter left for college. Ultimately I decided that I couldn't bare to let her sit for another 18 years nor was I willing to leave the family and cruise solo. Seemed like that would defeat the purpose of even owning an FJ. Even though drums aren't difficult to adjust and maintain; time is now very limited with a 10 month old. She just started crawling and I'm guessing that I have about 1-2 months to get things wrapped up before I'm out completely out of time. Therefore, I made a list of safety concerns and decided to address them.

1. Seat belts- Lap and shoulder.
  2. A forward facing rear seat that can accommodate a can seat.
  3. Functioning/ low maintenance brakes.
  4. Roll protection mainly to accommodate seat belt brackets.
One thing led to another and I decided that I couldn't change one and neglect the others. Sometimes I think becoming a Fireman was a blessing and a curse when it comes to safety. Just seen too many "T-Bone" and fatal accidents that were not the injured or dead guy's fault.
Sorry about the slight "soap box" tangent. My main goal is to have a safe reliable cruiser that gets the three of us over a high mountain pass and to a pristine Rocky Mountain campground. I have no intension of putting a big block in her! Thanks for letting me vent.

Travis

I had a early Bronco rear seat in my 68 when my kids were young. I also had a piece of angle iron bolt to the frame behind the seat, I used this to secure the seat belts. I also installed a factory rollbar with three point seat belts up front. I have 74 bucket seats which are way more comfortable than the the 40/60 seats. I don't regret doing any of it.The Bronco seat was replaced with the short jump seats now that my kids are grown and have childern of their own. A lot of fun times won't have happened if I hadn't made the changes. It still has drum brakes but that will probably change in the future since I have everthing I need including power steering and good 2F.

I've also got a 2F and a 4-speed sitting in the garage. I've considered putting these two in but I'm still on the fence. Any suggestions or benefits to changing engines? My 1F is still running good and probably will not do anything ontil it dies. What is the horse power difference?

To me the biggest advantage of the 2F is the improved oiling system. While they are both tractor motors the 2f holds up better on highway driving. My F145 in my 68 I think would run for ever if I kept the RPM under 1,500. So to me it would depend on how much highway driving I had to do to get where your camping spot is. You could aways put the 2F and four speed in now and save the F and three speed for a time in your life when if you keep the cruiser it will be more of a toy and will be towed behind another vehicle. My 68 was used as a highway vehicle from 78 (when I moved to Phoenix) until 1983 when I got another vehicle to tow it with to Northern Arizona. I installed a header and Holley card for added HP but the high RPM took a toll on the F. It now lives in Northern Arizona and back to stock exhaust with a stock one barrel carburator. Probably the main reason for the 2F is because I have a few with good compression stored away.:cheers:

Three speed four speed doesn't matter both are one to one in top gear. Guessing with my stock rear axle 411 gears and small tires I'm going under thirty at 1,500 RPM maybe a little higher but not much. My 68 is at my cabin and mainly see old forest service roads other than the fifteen mile up the road to go to the general store to get gas.

Do anyone know what the speed ( mph) is at
1500 RPM
2000 RPM
2500 RPM
3000 RPM with the 3 speed transmission (third gear)?

Cheers
Peter

Three speed four speed doesn't matter both are one to one in top gear. Guessing with my stock rear axle 411 gears and small tires I'm going under thirty at 1,500 RPM maybe a little higher but not much. My 68 is at my cabin and mainly see old forest service roads other than the fifteen mile up the road to go to the general store to get gas.

I only found this info:
[FONT=arial, helvetica]‘75 to ‘78, all FJ-40's have 4:11 gears (highway speed approx. 58 mph @ 3,000 rpm)[/FONT]

Nobody with a vintage rev counter in his/her vintage Cruiser ......

tm%20large%203.jpg

.....on this planet ??? :D

Cheers
Peter

I only found this info:
[FONT=arial, helvetica]‘75 to ‘78, all FJ-40's have 4:11 gears (highway speed approx. 58 mph @ 3,000 rpm)[/FONT]

Nobody with a vintage rev counter in his/her vintage Cruiser ......

tm%20large%203.jpg

.....on this planet ??? :D

Cheers
Peter

Then at 1,500 it looks like 29 MPH. I believe tires were the same size or real close. 4:11 gears were standard in the US until 79. A very few higher geared FJ40s were brought in the very earlier years. There were higher geared than the 3:70 in the post 78 years.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom