Still leaking!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I still have a leak coming from my transfercase area. At first i thought it was the seal between the tranny and transfercase and so i got a oil transfer kit from MAF. Put that bad boy and nothing. So then i thought i was my speedo seal. I think i have determined the source but want to be sure. this is on a 83' Fj60 and the speedometer cable goes into the side of the rear output area of my transfer case. Now the speedo cable screws into the speedo sleeve right? Then the sleeve fits into another sleeve and then the the speedometer gear goes into the end of that. Am i correct so far? Well this is the area that the leak is coming from. Now i am having a hard time removing the speedometer cable from the end of the first speedo sleeve to put in the Speedo seal. its like the bloody thing is stuck. Any suggestions on how to unscrew the end of the speedometer cable? Also is there a seal that goes around that speedo sleeve?

If this makes zero sense to anyone please let me know. I have a picture of the exact piece i am talking about but i am having a hard time posting on this site. If anyone can help me post it let me know and that would be awesome.

thanks ya'll

A larger pliers has worked for me to remove stubborn speedo cables from the drive in the t-case..

Are you 100% sure that the oil leak is originating from the speedo drive, and not the rear output seal..

Good luck!

-Steve

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=13168;start=msg121580#msg121580 date=1079387370]
A larger pliers has worked for me to remove stubborn speedo cables from the drive in the t-case..

Are you 100% sure that the oil leak is originating from the speedo drive, and not the rear output seal..

Good luck!

-Steve
[/quote]

Hey Poser, yes i am sure it is coming from the speedo drive. There is gear oil all over on that side and nothing in the rear output. Is there a seal of some kind that goes around the speedo drive area before it goes into the transfercase?

I was in the same boat you are....I pulled the whole assembly out without unscrewing the cable, changed the four dollar o ring and it still leaked. On my truck it looked exactly that it was coming from the speedo drive but it in the end it was the rear seal.

[quote author=Geoffrey J link=board=1;threadid=13168;start=msg122037#msg122037 date=1079455711]
I was in the same boat you are....I pulled the whole assembly out without unscrewing the cable, changed the four dollar o ring and it still leaked. On my truck it looked exactly that it was coming from the speedo drive but it in the end it was the rear seal.
[/quote]

And when you say rear seal? Are you referring to the oil seal between the transfercase and flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom