Still fighting antenna.......... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MoJ

Threads
Mast was broke off. Purchased new mast & sleeve. When I remove the bezel nut and have someone push the antenna up button all I get is a thunk-thunk-thunk. No cord. Guys at Toyota parts counter tell me this one should just screw in. They said this year (1991) did not use a cord/cable?? Make sense to anyone? Two pics attached.

It appears I need to take the whole assembly (motor) out to replace the mast. Unbolting it is no problem but I can't seem to get the antenna lead to disconnect from the assembly. Is it supposed to unplug at the assembly? It won't budge. Man, I thought this would be a 1-beer job at most.

Jason

and the second pic.....

Jason,

>> Is it supposed to unplug at the assembly? <<

No, the antenna cable is permanently mounted to the motor. If you need slack, you have to remove the connector from the back of the radio. If you plan to do this, tape a coat hanger wire to the radio end before you start pulling from the grommet at the PS fender. Otherwise, you'll loose the radio end in the bowels of the dash and you don't want that to happen.

You only need slack if you cannot work with the motor inside the fender. Most people have enough slack to do the repair without removing the radio end (which involves removing the dash and the radio!!!)

-B-

Thanks! I located the antenna lead behind the glovebox and it looks like I'll be able to get some slack by pulling it through from the fender. I ran out of time last night so I'm going to give another go tonight. I'm just hoping I didn't damage the antenna lead where it connects to the motor assembly. I did everything but put a come-along on it.

If you get the clunk and cannot see the cable it means your cable is spinning inside the drum and almost certainly your retaining nut on the end of the cable is broken off.

Removal of the whole assembly is your next step. It can be done without unplugging the radio cable if you undo the retaining bolt for the motor assembly on the inside firewall and then twist everything around a little. You end up with the assembly out in the engine compartment where you can see it. You can then unfasten the antenna tube attached to the radio cable from the rest of the assembly.

After this, unscrew the drum. Inside will be a spring loaded nylon cable so be careful taking it out. If there is a nut on the end by some miracle then you will just need to rethread the cable. If not, you need a new cable with a nut on the end. Apparently a late 80's camry antenna repair kit comes with such a cable though I have not tried yet . Accordign to C-dAn the part Number is 86327-22211 and list is $16.32 US. Make sure you compare the length of the cable to the old cable on your vehicle and trim as required.

Did you buy the new antenna mast only?
Did it come with instructions?
I'm going to replace mine in a couple days as soon as the mast comes in. I would like to know how to put it in.
Dan

Dan you just dug up a 18 month old thread. Try the search a little more, and the FAQ. There has to be a write up on this somewhere...

TY

Dan,

I did this and posted good instructions on how to get it out of the fender access hole. Somewhere around Feb-Mar but not earlier than January of this year.

DougM (IdahoDoug)

Wow- I think that was my first post. That post was in regard to my previously owned 91 FJ80. Ended up needing to replace the whole unit, motor and all as (IIRC) the cord to retract the antenna was broke inside the motor and could not be replaced on the 91.

Jason

The Land Cruiser antennas are absolutely the biggest piece of crap on these vehicles.

I am replacing my..................third 80 series antenna and I'm so friggin' sick and tired of it, I think I may just throw on a cheapo from Discount. Each ant. has been a different problem and I've gone beyond pissed at this point.

(The three were all on different cruisers, not the same one over and over). Thank God.

Just thought I'd vent. Thanks for not busting on me too much.

BTW: Does anyone currently have a different radio ant. other than this P.O.S.?

Doug M. (Fla Doug) :)

You might try the search feature for info on different antennas. There was a thread a few months back discussing it. Several had replaced theres with satisfactory results.

Doh'

I'll give it another shot. Last search turned this up as well as a few others.

Thanks,

DM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom