sticky rear door hinges (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seems to be a common problem with the BJ74 hinges.I took one off and freed it up with wd40. The pin does not come out,it apears that the pin has a larger diameter in the middle then on the ends,the 2 end pieces are slipped on to the pin and then welded to the other hige part,makes for a sturdy hinge but with those plastic covers water seems to get trapped in there and unless you take the covers off oil will not penetrate to the pin.
Here's my solution,I took the plastic covers off and discharded them with all the other unwanted plastic gismos that should never have been put on a Landcruiser.I then drilled and tapped a M6 thread in the center of the hinge with the hinges on the door. Before tapping, i ground my tap almost flat so I could cut the thread to the end of the hole. The hole should be drilled so that the grease nipples wont interfere with the lenses when opening the doors, also take caution when tightening the grease nipples(I made a simple job difficult by breaking one off:crybaby:) You know you did a good job when grease comes out the top and bottom of the hinge.
Anyway, that was my solution.

Here are the pics of the grease nipples installed,not original but funtional
HPIM4470.JPG
HPIM4472.JPG

thanks for the pics. If you need to tap all the way to the bottom of a blind hole, you can also use a "bottom tap" that is made for just that purpose.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom