stick with the 2F or swap in a 3B (1 Viewer)

stick with the good 2F or swap in a 3B

• good 2F with 4spd and stock case

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • good 3B with 4spd and stock case

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
opinions...there will be a good running 3B drive train at my place in the next couple months and i was thinking about putting it into the 45 that im going to resto with my dad. the truck does have a strong running 2F and there is nothing wrong with it, was re-built a few years ago with very few miles on it and it still purrs...just looking for opinions. it would be stock 3B with 4spd and possible turbo in the future. truck will not be wheeled much if any and a street :princess: thanks for the opinions guys!

Diesel is always better. Just think you could run the truck on petroleum based diesel, bio diesel, vegetable oil and kerosene or a mix of the above. Diesel engine outlast gas engines and tend to be less of a head ache the longer you own the vehicle. Just a thought.

Since you asked for opinions:

All that has been said is true.

However, just remember diesels are noisy, smelly, less powerful unless turbocharged, can be harder to start in very cold weather, fuel stations are harder to find on every corner, and lately diesel fuel has really jumped up in price per gallon.

Generally diesels will get you twice the miles-per-gallon as a gasser.

I say this as I use both gas and diesel trucks. I prefer my diesel, but think you should hear the other side of the argument to reach an intelligent decision.

There are a few good write ups here about engine conversions.

Good luck!

Dibs on the 2F it it comes up for sale :)

bear: thanks for pointing out some of the cons to the 3B as i know not every engine is all good....the other thing that kind of bothers me is that diesels dont seem to like short trips very much..but i guess this wont be a DD anyways.

'71 FJ40: dont get too excited, i still have one gas guzzler in my driveway. will have to think about if i want to sell the engine to help fund the 45 build.

thanks for the opinions everybody, keep 'em commen

I too run the full range of power and find myself liking the diesels more. My stock 3B is decent, the turbo'd & intercooled 3B is a lot of fun - but if you can - find a 5 speed. It is so worth it.

My view on gassers is a bit off as both mine have V8 Chevs in them (I also have a '79 CJ7 with a 327 that I rarely ever disclose) but after owning a 40 with F engine for 9 years - I find them a little light on power too - especially since I had the 3 speed tranny.

You will have some problems in making it a diesel (I had to put my batteries back behind the driver seat), crossmembers, motor mounts, electrics (you have to account for the glow plugs) and other odd stuff - I use two seperate keys to start mine, but it will be fun.

Good Luck!!

not that i have any experience with diesels yet, except from the checkbook's perspective, but if you can get your hands on it easily, why not? everybody's got a 2f.

....hands will be all over it when i pull the 3B with 4speed outta my dads BJ42 to put in the turbo'd 3B with 5 speed he bought for the 42...if i didnt have the extra 3B i would just stick to the 2F as it runs better then any F series engine i have ever run or heard...the wiring might cause a bit of a headach but at least the engine will be 12V so thats just one less problem to deal with...

you can probably guess my answer....

I wouldn't worry about the wiring. ditch the edic, get a different vacc pump and a gm one wire, and it's simpler than any gasser.

so.......if i butter you up with some cruiser parts i could probably find someone to give me a hand with wiring?....providing that theres some beer in the fridge of course. these might be stupid questions but since im not overly familiar with diesels....whats the edic actually do? and is the vac pump a weak link on the 3Bs or?

and a question for dieseldude or anybody.....what does the intercooler do? is it plumed into the engine cooling system or...?

mmmmm....beeer.....:grinpimp:

Edic turns the engine off with the key, it's a complex little bugger as it also has an over inject position for starting. tho, that's not all the necessary for the most part. so if you're ok with a pull knob to kill the engine, then that's one thing simpler.

that's the way I'll be going with the abortion I'm putting together.

alternator, I wouldn't call it a weak link so much, it's just not a very high amp alternator, and a gm one wire is as easy to wire in as it sounds.

Kinda 6 on one, half dozen the other, whether to use the toy alt or not, I just like the idea of getting a 80 or 100 amp alternator in the truck cheaply, and the vacc pump is the only thing really tying you to the toyota one.

could always swap the harness out for a 42 harness, then everything just plugs in, but then you get that intense pain in the frontal lobe that 24v often causes.....:lol:

Intercooler cools the charge of air coming from the turbo, compress air, and it heats up, and then becomes less efficient ( read, less dense ) when it goes into the engine.
the I/C helps in that regard, it's other key feature, and the one I really like, is that if your turbo decides to s*** the bed, the ic catches the pieces before they go into the intake. :eek:

cheers,
r

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom