Stevo's '95 4BTRunner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After moving the truck around the shop the other day, I decided I needed to get the steering hooked up before anything else in case I want to move it around.
A vice grip on a steering shaft was no fun.

So I set about getting the steering hooked up, fortunately I had both steering shafts to splice together to make one new one.
1645025124076.jpeg

1645025131672.jpeg

1645025140304.jpeg

1645025146544.jpeg

1645025154454.jpeg

Everything works great with no binding on the U-joints, however I am going to install a flanged bearing where the shaft passes through the firewall to add some extra support. With the current setup and the additional U-joint by the firewall it moves around a little too much for my liking. Fortunately they are cheap and I have one on the way from amazon.

Next on the list is flexing it out for the front shock mount locations and measuring for the rear shocks. When I was shoving it over to its spot the other day I grabbed the forklift and flexed it a little, seems like the suspension is going to work out very nicely.

To Do List: Its getting smaller

Engine Bay:
Clean up Wiring harness
Cut out and Install battery boxes
Wire Up Dual Batteries
Connect coolant system
Connect starter
Connect shutoff solenoid
Pull hydroboost master/slave from junkyard
Install hydroboost master
Install ZF6 Clutch master/slave
Plumb brake & clutch lines
Plumb Power Steering Lines
Buy and Wire-up Gauges (Pyro-Boost-Temp)
Buy Tachometer Adapter

Frame:
Weld in front shock mounts
Fabricate Anti-Wrap Bar
Install Rear Sway Bars

Drivetrain:
Clean-up NP205 (Paint and Reseal)
Buy and Install Shifter Detents
Buy and Install JB Twin stick Cable Shifters
Make Front Driveshaft
Buy Rear Driveshaft

Steering & Suspension:
Install Flange bearing on steering shaft
Install shock absorbers

Body:
Fabricate/Modify Bumpers

Last edited:
Hitting some snags on getting the turbo installed, I currently do not have a manifold that puts it in the right position.
The stock manifold keep the turbo too close to the head when its faced up and the compressor housing is wanting to occupy the same space as my injection lines.
Flipped down its got the compressor running right into the oil filter with just barely enough room to put the downpipe in.

I had another 6BT manifold I could try, so I chopped it and did some test fitting, still no good.

1645729155845.jpeg

1645729183810.jpeg

It looks good, but unfortunately puts it too high up in the engine bay, and doesn't leave much room for the exhaust, Plus the compressor housing would be through the hood.

I now am on the lookout for a 1st or second gen 6BT manifold that puts the turbo on a 45* angle which will put the turbo right where I want it.

I did get some time to flex test the suspension and am pretty happy with the results. I knew it wouldn't be as good as my last truck because the leaf springs are outboarded so far, but 32" isn't bad at all.

1645729651400.jpeg

With the swaybar on it still flexed out to 24" which in terms of the majority of the time will be more than enough to warrant a swaybar quick release.
I also was able to install the flange bearing for my steering, that really improved the feel of the steering setup.

1645729709037.jpeg

And made some brackets to put the front shocks in as well.

1645729816028.jpeg

1645729835096.jpeg

1645729846860.jpeg

Hitting some snags on getting the turbo installed, I currently do not have a manifold that puts it in the right position.
The stock manifold keep the turbo too close to the head when its faced up and the compressor housing is wanting to occupy the same space as my injection lines.
Flipped down its got the compressor running right into the oil filter with just barely enough room to put the downpipe in.

I had another 6BT manifold I could try, so I chopped it and did some test fitting, still no good.

It looks good, but unfortunately puts it too high up in the engine bay, and doesn't leave much room for the exhaust, Plus the compressor housing would be through the hood.

I now am on the lookout for a 1st or second gen 6BT manifold that puts the turbo on a 45* angle which will put the turbo right where I want it.

24v one piece manifold works well also, that's what I used. Quick job with the die grinder to port the round holes to rectangles, then run shorter bolts or studs.

24v one piece manifold works well also, that's what I used. Quick job with the die grinder to port the round holes to rectangles, then run shorter bolts or studs.
Yep, I’m searching Facebook marketplace now for either, I’ve got studs already so it would just be a chop and braze to get it ready to go.

While figuring out what to do with the manifold I spent the time cleaning up my NP205.

1646955160289.jpeg

Cleaned up with the wire wheel. It also had a bit of water in it, so I spent a bunch of time flushing it with diesel and brake cleaner.

1646955179035.jpeg

Installed the adjustable shifter detents, these things are the best cheap upgrade for the NP205. Also put in new input and output seals.

1646955224597.jpeg

Primed

1646955240177.jpeg

Painted

1646955283301.jpeg

Got my new tires in, got them installed right away.
The stance is a little bit wider but I have to say I like it. Front bumper isn't installed yet, just sitting on the leaf outriggers.
Not sure if I want to keep it or build something new.

1646955404575.jpeg

1646955415409.jpeg

1646955424694.jpeg

I got a rear bumper in place, still debating the placement of the hitch. Definitely will be adding some side protection to the rear, and making some sliders to help serve as a step to get into it.

1646955443756.jpeg

After having a couple Facebook marketplace purchases fall through in sourcing a Cummins manifold I have decided on a different route. Gonna be building one myself.

I have the plasma table, and since I can design it I can put the turbo exactly where I want it to go.

I have decided on the following design.
It's going to be a almost straight out maybe just a few degrees up.

1647708936317.jpeg

Since the hx30 doesn't have a divided flange I'm probably better off deleting the divider in the T3 flange.
The last decision to make is whether I want to go with the top or bottom flange for bolting it to the head. Top one will be heavier for sure.

The mounting flanges will be 1/2", and the rest of the manifold will be 1/4". So I am not concerned about it being too "light duty"

I'd go for the bottom head flange. Just looks sleeker.
I was definitely leaning towards that one, the top one looks way too bulky.

Modified the design a bit, I wanted to improve airflow directionality from cylinders 1&2 and optimize the use of the metal. Should be cutting it out tomorrow :)

1647810852394.jpeg

Today was pretty productive, was able to get all the pieces cut out most of it tacked together.

1647893643303.jpeg

1647893671793.jpeg

Was very relieved to see that it fits.

1647893693391.jpeg

I will need to cut these studs down, now that I am just going to have a 1/2" flange.

1647893731000.jpeg

1647893787278.jpeg

I still need to finish welding it up, but I am taking the time to smooth out the inner pathways and make it as nice as I can flow wise. I'll also port and polish it the best I can.

Moving right along on the manifold.

1647979219334.jpeg

Lost of test fitting.

1647979247141.jpeg

Looking good so far, will just need to get some 90 degree fittings for the oil filter housing.

1647979297672.jpeg

Smoothed out a bit, and turbo flange testing.
Really liking the fit and location of the turbo. I just need to cut out the last few pieces to mate up to the current flange location and it should be good to go.

1647979387543.jpeg

1647979400782.jpeg

Plenty of room for the downpipe/charge pipe and intake. I will need to slightly clock the turbo, but its almost there.
Once all of the welding is 100% finished I'm going to be extra certain to get any slag out of it, radius the inside a little more and get it sandblasted to clean it up and possibly cerikote it. Just gotta find a buddy with a spray gun.

Are you planning to put an EGT probe in your exhaust manifold? Would be a perfect time if you are. It's turning out great.

Are you planning to put an EGT probe in your exhaust manifold? Would be a perfect time if you are. It's turning out great.
Thanks, I'm pretty proud of my little manifold. The metal was all free so its just cost me my time. It was nice to have things go well and it has been a good boost to my morale on finishing the build.

Yep, I am definitely going to run an EGT probe. I'm just debating on where to put it.
I was thinking the best spot would be in the top right before the flange.

1648045480280.jpeg

The other spot I was thinking of would be on the bottom of the outlet of the manifold in the radius section ill be building to support the turbo flange.

Exhaust manifold is 99% complete.

Yesterday I was able to get the curved upsweep tied in, and smoothed out internally and externally.
1648644475452.jpeg

1648644489367.jpeg

I test fitted the turbo with my new setup to make sure that it would fit.

1648644534987.jpeg

The studs are a slight bit long, but all I have to do is start the nuts before seating it all of the way down.

I then took it to a local powder coating shop to get it sand blasted.

1648644621655.jpeg

Paid $20 for the sandblast, my first expense for this little side project. The blast cabinet at the shop with the truck is down, otherwise I would have done it there.

I was going to drill out the hole for the EGT probe but didn't have the right size drill at home so I just proceeded to ceramic coat it with this new stuff from rustoleum.

1648644845183.jpeg

Here it is with a couple coats and pre-baked.

1648644870699.jpeg

I snuck it into the oven while the wife was at work.

1648644892689.jpeg

I have to say I am pretty impressed with the rattle can ceramic coat.

1648644928993.jpeg

It turned out really nice, and what's great is that you can "apply it while on the vehicle" and just bring it up to temp and let it cool a few times to cure.
So ill probably hit it with another coat once I tap the EGT probe and run the truck for a while sans turbo to make sure no junk or small bits of metal get sent into the brand new HX30.

All in all I only spent $30 and my time to get this manifold completed. I hope with the ceramic coating it will perform well and keep the heat in the turbo and out of the engine bay. I will definitely be spraying the exhaust housing as well.

Installed some shorter studs, did the test fit on the manifold, and got the turbo clocked into the right position.

1648755062085.jpeg

Next step is getting the oil feed and drain in.

Finished the manifold, and got it fully installed on the head.
Took the time to ceramic coat the exhaust housing on the turbine as well.

1648906433839.jpeg

1648906440936.jpeg

1648906446353.jpeg

1648906456354.jpeg

I have the oil feed line hooked up and loosely connected as I want to run the exhaust without the turbo for a bit to make sure I get all the junk out of the engine/manifold before sending it through the turbo.

I also dropped off my radiator to have the lower inlet capped of and relocated to the passenger side bottom of the radiator. That should be ready to reinstall next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom